Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Lukas deflates Darwin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lukas deflates Darwin

Talking about the transition from unicellular life to Ediacaran multicellular life, and the fact (among others) that even if you grant the most optimistic Ediacaran precursors to Cambrian animals, still 80% of the Cambrian phyla are unaccounted for.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Talking about the transition from unicellular life to Ediacaran multicellular life, and the fact (among others) that even if you grant the most optimistic Ediacaran precursors to Cambrian animals, still 80% of the Cambrian phyla are unaccounted for.

Blessings,
    Lee
    Lucas 'Prince of Darkness?'
    Basics? Your missing the basics of science.

You must be getting your refernces from perferated rolls.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-17-2022, 09:18 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Blessings,
      Lee
      Fifteen years ago: you can only account for 5% of the Cambrian phyla

Today: you can only account for 20% of the Cambrian phyla

Fifteen years from today: you can only account for 50% of the Cambrian phyla.

God of the ever shrinking gaps?

ETA: Is this guy including recently discovered Cambrian organisms (many have been found in just the past few years), which haven't even been completely identified yet -- meaning determining any potential relationships has to wait until that is done first? If so that would be the sort of dishonesty we have come to expect from your sources.
      Last edited by rogue06; 03-18-2022, 05:25 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Blessings,
        Lee
        41 seconds before the first lie - the fossil record in Darwin's time was not diametrically opposed to Darwin's ideas, nor did Darwin think it was.

Not too bad for a creationist video - it's normally earlier than that.

Apparently fossils of plants don't count towards Cambrian phyla. Then he says Spriggina doesn't have an obvious head, while showing a picture in which you can see one. He knows his audience well.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
          41 seconds before the first lie - the fossil record in Darwin's time was not diametrically opposed to Darwin's ideas, nor did Darwin think it was.

Not too bad for a creationist video - it's normally earlier than that.

Apparently fossils of plants don't count towards Cambrian phyla. Then he says Spriggina doesn't have an obvious head, while showing a picture in which you can see one. He knows his audience well.
          You made it further than I could. I swear I could feel my IQ dropping as I watched it.

In any case, here's something for Lee from a Christian source that doesn't have to rely on deception, dishonesty and their audience's ignorance: Does the Cambrian Explosion pose a challenge to evolution?

The “Cambrian Explosion” refers to the appearance in the fossil record of most major animal body plans about 543 million years ago. The new fossils appear in an interval of 20 million years or less. On evolutionary time scales, 20 million years is a rapid burst that appears to be inconsistent with the gradual pace of evolutionary change. However, rapid changes like this appear at other times in the fossil record, often following times of major extinction. The Cambrian Explosion does present a number of interesting and important research questions. It does not, however, challenge the fundamental correctness of the central thesis of evolution.

[...]

The Cambrian Explosion is often posed as a challenge for evolution because the sudden burst of change in the fossil record appears to be inconsistent with the more typical gradual pace of evolutionary change. However, although different in certain ways, there are other times of very rapid evolutionary change recorded in the fossil record—often following times of major extinction.

As noted rapid radiations of life typically take place when there are numerous ecological niches that are empty like what happens after a mass extinction event. This has been explained to Lee multiple times but to no avail. In one ear and out the other.

Not all scientists accept the idea that the Cambrian Explosion represents an unusually rapid evolutionary transition. The fossil record is notoriously incomplete, particularly for small and soft-bodied forms. Some researchers argue that the apparent rapid diversification of body plans is an artifact of an increase in the rate of fossilization, due in part to the evolution of skeletons, which fossilize more effectively.5 Many of the early Cambrian animals possessed some type of hard mineralized structures (spines, spicules, plates, etc.). In many cases these, often very tiny, mineralized structures are all that are found as fossils. There were major changes in marine environments and chemistry from the late Precambrian into the Cambrian, and these also may have impacted the rise of mineralized skeletons among previously soft-bodied organisms.6

The fact that prior to the Cambrian nearly all known life consisted of "squishies" -- soft-bodied organisms without the sort of parts that are typically preserved during fossilization -- is going to mean that aside from being over half a billion years old (the further in time we go back the less we can recover) that not much will be recorded in the fossil record. And yet, in spite of this, scientists have still discovered a remarkable amount. More importantly, nothing they've found constitutes a challenge to the central premise of evolution -- the descent of all living species from a common ancestor.

The article continues on, providing an accurate description of what is known about the Cambrian and what lived during it, something I doubt Lee has ever encountered outside of posts on Tweb. Maybe he'll read it and offer his "yeah buts"

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I see we have another entry in Lee's long list of "I can't be bothered to actually make an argument, so I'll expect everyone else to watch this video/read this essay" posts.

Given it's from the Discovery Institute, it's safe to assume it's wrong without watching. I will save 15 minutes of my life by going with that safe assumption.
            "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Fifteen years ago: you can only account for 5% of the Cambrian phyla

Today: you can only account for 20% of the Cambrian phyla

Fifteen years from today: you can only account for 50% of the Cambrian phyla.

God of the ever shrinking gaps?
              Well, first you have to demonstrate that the gaps are shrinking. Spriggina for instance was discovered in 1946, as was DIckinsonia. Spriggina was included as one of the best possible Cambrian precursors, and we're not progressing very far from that conclusion.

Is this guy including recently discovered Cambrian organisms (many have been found in just the past few years), which haven't even been completely identified yet -- meaning determining any potential relationships has to wait until that is done first?
              Can you give me some examples?

Blessings,
              Lee
              "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                Well, he did think it was, and he proposed that as more fossils are uncovered, that the gaps would be filled, in particular, that the Cambrian precursors would be found. But such gaps remain.

Apparently fossils of plants don't count towards Cambrian phyla. Then he says Spriggina doesn't have an obvious head, while showing a picture in which you can see one.
                And the Wikipedia article on Spriggina puts "head" in quotes, indicating that this may not be a fully formed head.
                Source: Wikipedia

The first two segments formed a "head". The front segment had the shape of a horseshoe with a pair of depressions on its upper surface which may represent eyes.[4] The second segment may have borne antennae.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Blessings,
                Lee

Comment

The fact that prior to the Cambrian nearly all known life consisted of "squishies" -- soft-bodied organisms without the sort of parts that are typically preserved during fossilization -- is going to mean that aside from being over half a billion years old (the further in time we go back the less we can recover) that not much will be recorded in the fossil record.
                  Lukas (I spelled his name wrong) mentions though that a discovery was made of a site, the Maotianshan Shale, which has a wide range of soft-bodied animals, so the argument that the precursors cannot be found due to being soft-bodied is not plausible.

Blessings,
                  Lee

Comment

Well, first you have to demonstrate that the gaps are shrinking. Spriggina for instance was discovered in 1946, as was DIckinsonia. Spriggina was included as one of the best possible Cambrian precursors, and we're not progressing very far from that conclusion.
                    ETA: I shouldn't have implied that Spriggina and Dickinsonia were part of the 4 possible precursors mentioned by Lukas, it is in doubt whether these are even to be classified as animals: "[They are] representatives of a new kingdom entirely separate from the animals" (Erwin et al., "The Origin of Animal Body Plans", American Scientist, 85 (1977) 132).

Blessings,
                    Lee

Comment

Can you give me some examples?

Blessings,
                      Lee
                      Just posted something Relative of one of Cambrian Period's stranger critters discovered

Comment

ETA: I shouldn't have implied that Spriggina and Dickinsonia were part of the 4 possible precursors mentioned by Lukas, it is in doubt whether these are even to be classified as animals: "[They are] representatives of a new kingdom entirely separate from the animals" (Erwin et al., "The Origin of Animal Body Plans", American Scientist, 85 (1977) 132).

Blessings,
                        Lee
                        1977? Is that your latest source and do you think that it is feasible that we just may have learned a thing or two in the intervening 45 years?

Comment

Lukas (I spelled his name wrong) mentions though that a discovery was made of a site, the Maotianshan Shale, which has a wide range of soft-bodied animals, so the argument that the precursors cannot be found due to being soft-bodied is not plausible.

Blessings,
                          Lee
                          picardfacepalmthumb.jpg

Please pick up a basic book on paleontology and fossil formation.

Comment

1977? Is that your latest source and do you think that it is feasible that we just may have learned a thing or two in the intervening 45 years?
                            I quote that to show that there has been a question of whether these are even animals.

Originally posted by lee_merrill
                            Please pick up a basic book on paleontology and fossil formation.
                            Do you dispute my point? If so, why?

Blessings,
                            Lee

Comment

I quote that to show that there has been a question of whether these are even animals.

Do you dispute my point? If so, why?

Blessings,
                              Lee
                              Maybe 45 years ago. IIRC, Adolf Seilacher proposed the possibility that Spriggina might have been a frond-like organism (a rangeomorph?) some time back then. That was back when fossils there were far fewer fossils and the equipment to properly scan them was still in its early days.

The point is that bringing it up is about as pertinent as noting that in the 16th and early 17th cent. there was still a good bit of debate over whether any fossils were the remains of living organisms or simply just oddly shaped stones that formed naturally in the earth.

Comment