Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Maybe our life really does flash before our eyes as we die

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe our life really does flash before our eyes as we die

Interesting. Of course it is from the U.S. Sun

Source: First ever recording of the moment someone dies reveals what our last thoughts might be

THE first ever recording of a dying brain has revealed we might relive some of our best memories in our last moments.

Scientists accidentally captured our most complex organ as it shut down, showing an astonishing snapshot into death.

A patient was being treated for epilepsy, hooked up to an electroencephalogram (EEG).

The 87-year-old man's brain activity was being measured when he suddenly had a heart attack and died.

This meant the 15 minutes around his death was recorded on the EEG.

In the 30 seconds either side of the patient's final heartbeat, an increase in very specific brain waves were spotted.

These waves, known as gamma oscillations, are linked to things like memory retrieval, meditation and dreaming.

This could mean - although many more studies would need to take place - we might see a sort of film reel of our best memories as we die.

The parts of the brain that were activated in this study also suggests we could enter a peaceful dreamlike state that feels similar to meditation.

Amazingly, as our bodies shut down, our brains could still be working hard in a concerted effort to deliver on a final task - that makes the process feel less bleak.

Dr Ajmal Zemmar, a neurosurgeon at the University of LouisvilleZemmar, who organised the study, said: "Through generating oscillations involved in memory retrieval, the brain may be playing a last recall of important life events just before we die, similar to the ones reported in near-death experiences.

"These findings challenge our understanding of when exactly life ends and generate important subsequent questions, such as those related to the timing of organ donation."

Similar brainwave changes have been seen in rats at the time of death, but never in humans before.

FINAL MOMENTS

The study, published in Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience, said: "Our data provide the first evidence from the dying human brain in a non-experimental, real-life acute care clinical setting and advocate that the human brain may possess the capability to generate coordinated activity during the near-death period."

However, this is just one single case study, with a brain that had already been injured from epilepsy.

But it might pave the way for a greater understanding about what happens to us - and what we think - when we die.

But, Dr Zemmar added: "Something we may learn from this research is: although our loved ones have their eyes closed and are ready to leave us to rest, their brains may be replaying some of the nicest moments they experienced in their lives."

Source

© Copyright Original Source

The actual paper, Enhanced Interplay of Neuronal Coherence and Coupling in the Dying Human Brain can be read in its entirety at the hyperlink provided. Below is the abstract:

The neurophysiological footprint of brain activity after cardiac arrest and during near-death experience (NDE) is not well understood. Although a hypoactive state of brain activity has been assumed, experimental animal studies have shown increased activity after cardiac arrest, particularly in the gamma-band, resulting from hypercapnia prior to and cessation of cerebral blood flow after cardiac arrest. No study has yet investigated this matter in humans. Here, we present continuous electroencephalography (EEG) recording from a dying human brain, obtained from an 87-year-old patient undergoing cardiac arrest after traumatic subdural hematoma. An increase of absolute power in gamma activity in the narrow and broad bands and a decrease in theta power is seen after suppression of bilateral hemispheric responses. After cardiac arrest, delta, beta, alpha and gamma power were decreased but a higher percentage of relative gamma power was observed when compared to the interictal interval. Cross-frequency coupling revealed modulation of left-hemispheric gamma activity by alpha and theta rhythms across all windows, even after cessation of cerebral blood flow. The strongest coupling is observed for narrow- and broad-band gamma activity by the alpha waves during left-sided suppression and after cardiac arrest. Albeit the influence of neuronal injury and swelling, our data provide the first evidence from the dying human brain in a non-experimental, real-life acute care clinical setting and advocate that the human brain may possess the capability to generate coordinated activity during the near-death period.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Well I almost died once, or thought I was going to, and I can confirm your life does flash through your mind.

I was in a car wreck about 30 years ago where I was going about 50MPH and slipped off into a ditch. As my car hit and started to cart wheel, end over end, everything slowed down for me and I started thinking, "oh crap, I am gonna die" and started remembering various things and it seemed like I was watching a montage of various events in my life. Then the car stopped and I was safe. I just sat there shaking for about 5 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Well I almost died once, or thought I was going to, and I can confirm your life does flash through your mind.

I was in a car wreck about 30 years ago where I was going about 50MPH and slipped off into a ditch. As my car hit and started to cart wheel, end over end, everything slowed down for me and I started thinking, "oh crap, I am gonna die" and started remembering various things and it seemed like I was watching a montage of various events in my life. Then the car stopped and I was safe. I just sat there shaking for about 5 minutes.
      The "everything slowed down for me" phenomena when the fecal matter is SERIOUSLY hitting the rotating oscillating device is a fascinating one.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        The "everything slowed down for me" phenomena when the fecal matter is SERIOUSLY hitting the rotating oscillating device is a fascinating one.
        It's the adrenaline. Which is why I was shaking like a leaf afterwards. I actually felt kind of calm while it happened. Just thinking I was gonna die and thinking of my past and what I hadn't done yet. Probably lasted about 4 or 5 seconds in real time. Car's nose hit the ditch wall and did a cart wheel with me staring straight down, then it turned and landed facing the other way but still wheels down. The car (77 Nova Rally Sport) looked like a banana when it was done, but I was unharmed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

It's the adrenaline. Which is why I was shaking like a leaf afterwards. I actually felt kind of calm while it happened. Just thinking I was gonna die and thinking of my past and what I hadn't done yet. Probably lasted about 4 or 5 seconds in real time. Car's nose hit the ditch wall and did a cart wheel with me staring straight down, then it turned and landed facing the other way but still wheels down. The car (77 Nova Rally Sport) looked like a banana when it was done, but I was unharmed.
          Hmm. I used to be a bit of an "adrenaline junkie" and never experience anything like it except when my life was in immediate danger.

Comment