Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Poop in Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poop in Space

And the recycling of said poop

Source: Nasa wants to turn POO and even astronaut breath into ‘space gold’ with genius waste system

NASA is trying to work out how to recycle human waste, including poo and the carbon dioxide we breathe out, into useful products.

Recycling waste could help astronauts go on longer missions without being held back by the amount of resources they can bring.

As ZDNET points out, these recycled products would be like 'space gold' for astronauts who won't be coming back to Earth any time soon.

The only problem is, Nasa isn't sure how to create this 'space gold'.

That's why a new crowdsourcing challenge called Waste to Base Materials Challenge: Sustainable Reprocessing in Space is looking for people to help them work this out.

This Nasa Tournament Lab is offering a $24,000 (£17,700) prize to the person or team with the best idea.

The website explains: "Help NASA improve future space missions by proposing approaches to permit efficient reprocessing/recycling/repurposing of onboard resources."

It goes on to tell any one wishing to apply that they should imagine they're on a two to three year journey to Mars with limited supplies.

It states: "This challenge is all about finding ways to convert waste into base materials and other useful things, like propellant or feedstock for 3D printing.

"We are looking for your ideas for how to convert different waste streams into useful materials that can then be made into needed things and cycled through multiple times - and we are looking for ideas to convert waste into propellant.

"Eventually, we would like to integrate all the different processes into a robust ecosystem that allows a spacecraft to launch from Earth with the lowest possible mass."

The Nasa Tournament Lab wants ideas about how to recycle trash, fecal waste, foam packaging materials and carbon dioxide.

Winning ideas in each of these categories get a prize of $1,000 (£738) and the other $24,000 prize is for the best idea overall.

Some recycling in space already occurs on current missions.

Astronauts on the International Space Station have been using a water recycling system since 2009.

It helps them recycle urine and water from condensation.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Several years ago, on the TV show Mythbusters, they had a segment on whether or not gummy bears would work as rocket fuel (it can), and Jamie Hyneman decided to conduct a side experiment on whether feces could be used as rocket fuel. The reason being is that poop is nothing but waste that takes up room aboard a space craft. Even if it isn't very effectiv, if it could be used for fuel it could have some practical use.

I found a video with excerpts from the show:

They discuss feces fuel from 2:18 on

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Matt Damon should have tried that.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Shouldn't this thread be in the poop deck?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Shouldn't this thread be in the poop deck?

My finger did hesitate for just a sec before clicking Nat Sci.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The first step in the poop arena is optimal pooping. Which means that the astronauts' diet consists of that which can be mostly processed by the body with little to no poop.

BSILSO - Better Stuff In - Less Stuff Out.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The first step in the poop arena is optimal pooping. Which means that the astronauts' diet consists of that which can be mostly processed by the body with little to no poop.

BSILSO - Better Stuff In - Less Stuff Out.
            But if you eat you're gonna poop. So the question is what to do with it. Until now the answer was nothing but finally that looks like it will change.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              But if you eat you're gonna poop. So the question is what to do with it. Until now the answer was nothing but finally that looks like it will change.
              Which is why I said "the first step" -- minimize the amount of poop produced, but, yeah....

And it goes to culture. Americans seem pretty much hysterical about getting poop on themselves, but in other parts of the world, they can scoop it up by hand and put it anywhere they wish.

When I was in Israel last, we visited a community where Ethiopian Jews were being taught Israeli culture so they could be introduced into Israeli society. One of the issues was toilet practices. They (the Ethiopians) would simply scoop up the poop, wipe it on the wall, and when it dried, they would scrape it off and toss it aside. (Or, add it to the fuel supply)

Comment

Which is why I said "the first step" -- minimize the amount of poop produced, but, yeah....

And it goes to culture. Americans seem pretty much hysterical about getting poop on themselves, but in other parts of the world, they can scoop it up by hand and put it anywhere they wish.

When I was in Israel last, we visited a community where Ethiopian Jews were being taught Israeli culture so they could be introduced into Israeli society. One of the issues was toilet practices. They (the Ethiopians) would simply scoop up the poop, wipe it on the wall, and when it dried, they would scrape it off and toss it aside. (Or, add it to the fuel supply)
                I've been told that cooking food over "camel chips" gives it a "peppery" flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  I've been told that cooking food over "camel chips" gives it a "peppery" flavor.
                  And, the old joke.....

The bad news - there's nothing out here to eat but buffalo chips.
                  The good news - we have PLENTY of buffalo chips!

Comment

Not just NASA. A friend of mine from high school is a literal rocket scientist today. His job with Exxon is to develop sustainable terrestrial fuels as well as extraterrestrial ones. He goes on and on about waxy buildups, solidifying fuels in sub-freezing temperatures, inefficient returns on hydrogen and methane ... he can put you to sleep on the subject. The one thing he insists on, though, is that all claims about climate change are indeterminate. The math being applied depends on too many unknowns. He bristles when he hears "the experts" misstate the science he works with every day. [/ end rant]

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                      Not just NASA. A friend of mine from high school is a literal rocket scientist today. His job with Exxon is to develop sustainable terrestrial fuels as well as extraterrestrial ones. He goes on and on about waxy buildups, solidifying fuels in sub-freezing temperatures, inefficient returns on hydrogen and methane ... he can put you to sleep on the subject. The one thing he insists on, though, is that all claims about climate change are indeterminate. The math being applied depends on too many unknowns. He bristles when he hears "the experts" misstate the science he works with every day. [/ end rant]
                      Preach on!

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                        If I had a dollar for everybody whose expertise isn't climate science who thought they knew more than the people who spent their life studying it, I could probably retire.
                        "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Looking ahead (a long way), if we ever get to exploring the stars we may use multi-generation spaceships. That's where people are born, live and die on the spaceship and only their descendants arrive at the destination. In this situation they would have to recycle literally everything.

For those that go eeeeww when they think about poop ... whenever you smell a fart tiny particles of poop go up your nose.

Comment

Originally posted by Alien View Post
                            Looking ahead (a long way), if we ever get to exploring the stars we may use multi-generation spaceships. That's where people are born, live and die on the spaceship and only their descendants arrive at the destination. In this situation they would have to recycle literally everything.

For those that go eeeeww when they think about poop ... whenever you smell a fart tiny particles of poop go up your nose.
                            A very strict vegan I knew, if he would smell meat cooking, would immediately leave saying if you call smell it you're ingesting it.

Comment

Doesn't that happen on Earth naturally? Figure out how to replacte rhat? Feed the sterilized poop to plants. Eat the plants.
                              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment