Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Natural genetic resistence to Covid-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    Lurch's comments are far more coherent than yours. If you find his posts incoherent, then highlight the incoherent sections rather than dismissing the entire post. You might then get a rephrasing that you understand.
    No response as per references.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

No response as per references.
      I have specifically responded to two of the papers you've provided links to, including quoting from one of them directly and describing the data in the other in some detail.
      "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post

I have specifically responded to two of the papers you've provided links to, including quoting from one of them directly and describing the data in the other in some detail.
        No you did not respond objectively, agenda (?). Some responses were rambling and brought up 'red herrings' like race (>), which was never an issue.
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

No you did not respond objectively, agenda (?).
          Objectively, your claim is that genetics produces a lower COVID risk in Asian populations.

Objectively, you linked to a paper that says the one clear genetic risk factor we've identified is most prevalent in Asian populations.

Objectively, the paper says your claim is wrong.

Comment

Objectively, your claim is that genetics produces a lower COVID risk in Asian populations.

Objectively, you linked to a paper that says the one clear genetic risk factor we've identified is most prevalent in Asian populations.
            Not the only paper involved with regional factors that researched regional comparisons of genetic influence of the resistance and susceptibility to Covid-19..

[/quote]

[/QUOTE]

False

Frank

Comment

False
              Why don't you explain how your claims and those findings are compatible then? Making an actual argument instead of blanket claims would be very useful.

Comment

Your title:

The major genetic risk factor for severe COVID-19 is inherited from Neanderthals

The paper is talking about genes inherited that cause a greater RISK for severe COVID. And it says that this gene is more prevalent in Asians.

That doesn't say that Asians have a LOWER risk for severe Covid, It says they have a MAJOR (Higher) risk for severe COVID.

How do you explain that it proves they have a higher resistance to covid?

Comment

Why don't you explain how your claims and those findings are compatible then? Making an actual argument instead of blanket claims would be very useful.
                  And a nice change as well.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Guess we're not even going to get a Lee-style "agree to disagree" out of this one.

Comment

Guess we're not even going to get a Lee-style "agree to disagree" out of this one.
                      Well . . . on hold in a way. No I definitely do not go the Lee way. Yes we disagree ar present, but yes my references support a genetic relationship in infection rate in regional populations. I believe this is rtue of many viruses in human history.I do beliee that oer generations regional populations do develop resistance to viruses as in the relationship between viruses and regional exposure to viruses like 'Small Pox.

Keep it reasonable in terms of science and do not stoop to Lee tactics.

I believe further research will support my view. As to agreeing to disagree NO.
                      Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-25-2022, 08:54 PM.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        Lurch's comments are far more coherent than yours.
                        I trust you're not even a little surprised.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well . . . on hold in a way. No I definitely do not go the Lee way. Yes we disagree ar present, but yes my references support a genetic relationship in infection rate in regional populations. I believe this is rtue of many viruses in human history.I do beliee that oer generations regional populations do develop resistance to viruses as in the relationship between viruses and regional exposure to viruses like 'Small Pox.

Keep it reasonable in terms of science and do not stoop to Lee tactics.

I believe further research will support my view. As to agreeing to disagree NO.
                          It's fair to say that there are regional genetic differences that influence infection rate. As for an explanation of this, it could just as easily be that the viruses have adapted to humans, as the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

It's fair to say that there are regional genetic differences that influence infection rate. As for an explanation of this, it could just as easily be that the viruses have adapted to humans, as the other way around.

I prefer the possibly adaptation of genetic evolution of resistance to the viruses by humans. Yes viruses do evolve in response to the development of resistance in the host animals.

In the past humans were to a degree regionally isolated where some regions developed no or very little resistence to the viruses. Today the world is changing and regional isolation is no longer a factor.
                            Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-26-2022, 07:36 AM.

Frank

Comment

I prefer the possibly adaptation of genetic evolution of resistance to the viruses by humans. Yes viruses do evolve in response to the development of resistance in the host animals.

In the past humans were to a degree regionally isolated where some regions developed no or very little resistence to the viruses. Today the world is changing and regional isolation is no longer a factor.
                              Correction" Regional resistance to viruses will be less of a factor overtime due to the less regional isolation as in the past.

Frank

Comment

I prefer the possibly adaptation of genetic evolution of resistance to the viruses by humans.
                                Why?

Yes viruses do evolve in response to the development of resistance in the host animals.
                                Viruses might also evolve to take advantage of a genetic feature in humans that is common in the areas where the viruses occur.

Comment