Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Discontinuous Fossil Record Refutes Darwinian Gradualism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    You choose phyla without having the slightest idea what that entails...
    I did look into phyla before choosing them to represent a new body plan. But I would be happy to return to using the terminology of "body plan", I think that is fairly plain what it means.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
      Darwinian gradualism! Note how many species are involved in the putative evolution of whales, for instance, which is not even a new phylum.
      That's simply wrong. There is no limit to how many species can evolve out of a single species. During rapid radiations, you'd expect it to be a lot.

And phyla originate through a species formation event that results in extensive speciation afterwards. So there's no limit on them, too.

You're arguing against a cartoon version of evolution that has no basis in reality.
      "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

So explain then why fossil saturation is not an issue, then.
        Because we haven't seen it.

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
        And it also says what is new is a new phylum.
        Show me where it says that that's the only thing they found. And show me how that's consistent with a diversity rivaling the Burgess Shale.

Comment

Darwinian gradualism! Note how many species are involved in the putative evolution of whales, for instance, which is not even a new phylum.

Blessings,
          Lee
          picardfacepalmthumb.jpg

There isn't any limit on how many different species can evolve from a single species. And during major radiation events that follow mass extinctions, there are going to be a lot given all the empty ecological niches left empty and into which the surviving species can now move into and adapt.

please, Please, PLEASE stop posting on this until you have obtained at the very least the most basic, rudimentary understanding of the topics you are pontificating upon. This and your cricket ear thread are so laden with mind-boggling levels of ignorance (darn near weapon's grade) that it is hard to conceive of an adult making the statements that you do unless they are trolling.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

please, Please, PLEASE stop posting on this until you have obtained at the very least the most basic, rudimentary understanding of the topics you are pontificating upon.
            He's been posting on topics he has no understanding of for DECADES. He can't remember what he posted or how he was corrected LAST WEEK. Don't bother trying to make an impression on him.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
              There is no limit to how many species can evolve out of a single species. During rapid radiations, you'd expect it to be a lot.

And phyla originate through a species formation event that results in extensive speciation afterwards. So there's no limit on them, too.
              Well, you missed my point, I'm not arguing that there is a limit to the number of species that can evolve, I'm saying let's look at what has been called evolution's best example, and note how many species there are in that lineage. Then count how many species lifetimes there are in the Cambrian explosion, and compare the two.

Because we haven't seen it.
              But a new fossil is newsworthy, implying that fossils we have seen before, predominate.

Show me where it says that that's the only thing they found. And show me how that's consistent with a diversity rivaling the Burgess Shale.
              I'm not saying that's the only thing they found, and diversity could be diversity of mainly known fossils.

Blessings,
              Lee
              "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

I did look into phyla before choosing them to represent a new body plan. But I would be happy to return to using the terminology of "body plan", I think that is fairly plain what it means.

Blessings,
                Lee
                You still do not have the slightest idea how 'body plans' and phyla are related to the evolution of life. Please read and respond to my reference.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Well, you missed my point, I'm not arguing that there is a limit to the number of species that can evolve, I'm saying let's look at what has been called evolution's best example, and note how many species there are in that lineage. Then count how many species lifetimes there are in the Cambrian explosion, and compare the two.
                  That's like noting how many generations there have been in one family since WWII (3), counting the number of human lifespans there have been since WWII (1), and comparing the two.

They're be different, for the same reason that the numbers from your comparison will be irrelevant - lifespan is longer than generation span. This is obvious to anyone who thinks about it.

You point is, as usual, vacuous.
                  Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                  MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• I'm still trying to work out how a species can transition after it is extinct.

the average longevity of an invertebrate or vertebrate species (not an individual organism) varies between 2.5-10 million years. This means that a transition that required 5-10 million years happened within the lifespan of a single species! This is much too short to allow for Darwinian evolution to explain the required changes.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                      I'm still trying to work out how a species can transition after it is extinct.
                      That reminds me of the notorious AnswersinGenesis article about raccoon-dogs (which they finally only recently removed after leaving it up for a couple decades). In it they claim that they die before becoming old enough to breed. Naturally, if this were true they would all have died off long ago.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That reminds me of the notorious AnswersinGenesis article about raccoon-dogs (which they finally only recently removed after leaving it up for a couple decades). In it they claim that they die before becoming old enough to breed. Naturally, if this were true they would all have died off long ago.
                        The only raccoon dogs I've heard of to date are tanuki. (Why the actual name isn't retained is a mystery). Would that be the same animal?
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

The only raccoon dogs I've heard of to date are tanuki. (Why the actual name isn't retained is a mystery). Would that be the same animal?
                          I thought that's what they called the fur of Nyctereutes procyonoides when it is made into clothes.

Comment

I thought that's what they called the fur of Nyctereutes procyonoides when it is made into clothes.
                            Nyctereutes viverrinus - usually while it is alive.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Nyctereutes viverrinus - usually while it is alive.
                              Like foxes there appears to be more than one species:

Nyctereutes procyonoides: Chinese or Asian raccoon dog or just raccoon dog

Nyctereutes viverrinus: Japanese raccoon dog or tanuki.

Comment

So, you're not actually making an argument, you're just suggesting we look at something?

But a new fossil is newsworthy, implying that fossils we have seen before, predominate.
                                You're trying to base a scientific argument on what you recall seeing in the news? Seriously?

I'm not saying that's the only thing they found, and diversity could be diversity of mainly known fossils.
                                So, you don't actually know, you're just holding out something as a possibility, only because of a combination of two things:
                                You haven't actually read the paper.
                                You wouldn't be able to understand it if you could.

What if I told you I had read the paper and you're wrong?

Comment