Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

that's a lot of stars

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Our bedtime was earlier than Ox's and I remember my parent's waking us up to come watch the moon landing. My father had his camera set up on a tripod and took pictures off of the TV as it happened. They were later turned into slides where you could clearly see the glowing number 4 off on the right hand side (it was on channel 4).


    TL lists some incredible accomplishments we made in recent years but nothing in the last half century has come anywhere close to the "wow factor" of the moon landing.

    Btw, I knew a bunch of people who had telescopes and even binoculars out looking at the moon hoping that they could see them.
    It happened around 4:30 in the afternoon eastern time.

    eta - but they didn't step out until around 11PM
    Last edited by Sparko; 10-01-2021, 01:34 PM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Welcome back, sir.

      I am so glad to be living "out in the country" away from city light pollution. And I still like to lay on my back on the picnic table and just stare up at the sky.

      As your eyes get used to the dark, the stars begin to emerge. It truly is spectacular, and "the stars at night are big and bright - deep in the heart of Texas".
      Thanks. I'm not exactly 'back' though. Not to any strong degree.
      Don’t waste your time with explanations, people only hear what they want to hear.
      --- Paulo Coelho

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Sparko View Post

        It happened around 4:30 in the afternoon eastern time.

        eta - but they didn't step out until around 11PM
        I coulda been clearer. I wrote "moon landing" but meant when they got out and took the first steps.

        I'm always still in trouble again

        "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

          Thanks. I'm not exactly 'back' though. Not to any strong degree.
          Well, you made a great first post! Something on which we can all agree, and be inspired to marvel.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

          Comment


          • #20
            When I lived in Bolivia the view from the Altiplano is the most magnificent imaginable. It is about 12,300 feet.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

            go with the flow the river knows . . .

            Frank

            I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              When I lived in Bolivia the view from the Altiplano is the most magnificent imaginable. It is about 12,300 feet.
              I will be in Colorado Springs next week --- can't wait to see the stars from Pike's Peak!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                When I lived in Bolivia the view from the Altiplano is the most magnificent imaginable. It is about 12,300 feet.
                Probably very little issue with light pollution as well.

                I'm always still in trouble again

                "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  It is just amazing, and rather humbling. And it makes the idea that we are the only life God has created in this entire universe seem more than a bit silly.
                  Not really. Conservation is a manmade construct. If you look at the universe and think "so much wasted space if only earth has life" then you are thinking as a conservationist; that the rest of the universe is wasted somehow. If a single spirit is a million times more important than a million stars, to God, then nothing is wasted.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Ronson View Post

                    Not really. Conservation is a manmade construct. If you look at the universe and think "so much wasted space if only earth has life" then you are thinking as a conservationist; that the rest of the universe is wasted somehow. If a single spirit is a million times more important than a million stars, to God, then nothing is wasted.
                    Ah, but my comment is not based on conservation. It is based on the shere improbability that life would be a unique construct based on how planets form and how life evolves. IOW, God does not appear to have made the universe so that life is so improbable that given its size and age our planet would be unique in that respect. Rocky planets in habitable zones with water are plentiful- perhaps as many as 1 for every 6 stars in that image. Indeed, there appear to be some fairly likely places for life on places other than the earth even in our own solar system.

                    Sentience might be a different argument. But I spoke only of life in the general sense.
                    Don’t waste your time with explanations, people only hear what they want to hear.
                    --- Paulo Coelho

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

                      Ah, but my comment is not based on conservation. It is based on the shere improbability that life would be a unique construct based on how planets form and how life evolves. IOW, God does not appear to have made the universe so that life is so improbable that given its size and age our planet would be unique in that respect. Rocky planets in habitable zones with water are plentiful- perhaps as many as 1 for every 6 stars in that image. Indeed, there appear to be some fairly likely places for life on places other than the earth even in our own solar system.

                      Sentience might be a different argument. But I spoke only of life in the general sense.
                      Given the numbers the probability of life evolving elsewhere seems high. The real question would be is there intelligent life out there.

                      I'm always still in trouble again

                      "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Given the numbers the probability of life evolving elsewhere seems high. The real question would be is there intelligent life out there.
                        I agree. I tend to believe it likely proof that life exists underground on Mars or in an underground sea on one of the gas giant moons may well appear in my lifetime. But intelligent life, that's a different question.

                        I'm not sure i'd welcome finding out either. Though perhaps i could hope that if an intelligent species can survive the potential for self destruction that comes with the knowledge of how to build thermonuclear or more deadly devices, by the time such a species knows how to flit gracefully from star to star, they no longer have conquer and subjugate on their agenda.
                        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 10-03-2021, 08:23 AM.
                        Don’t waste your time with explanations, people only hear what they want to hear.
                        --- Paulo Coelho

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

                          I agree. I tend to believe it likely proof that life exists underground on Mars or in an underground sea on one of the gas giant moons may well appear in my lifetime. But intelligent life, that's a different question.

                          I'm not sure i'd welcome finding out either. Though perhaps i could hope that if an intelligent species can survive the potential for self destruction that comes with the knowledge of how to build thermonuclear or more deadly devices, by the time such a species knows how to flit gracefully from star to star, they no longer have conquer and subjugate on their agenda.
                          Paraphrasing, but someone once said he didn't know which was scarier... that we are all alone in the universe -- or that we aren't.

                          I'm always still in trouble again

                          "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Given the numbers the probability of life evolving elsewhere seems high. The real question would be is there intelligent life out there.
                            No, the REAL question would be is there intelligent life here on Tweb.

                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

                              I agree. I tend to believe it likely proof that life exists underground on Mars or in an underground sea on one of the gas giant moons may well appear in my lifetime. But intelligent life, that's a different question.

                              I'm not sure i'd welcome finding out either. Though perhaps i could hope that if an intelligent species can survive the potential for self destruction that comes with the knowledge of how to build thermonuclear or more deadly devices, by the time such a species knows how to flit gracefully from star to star, they no longer have conquer and subjugate on their agenda.
                              I think, too often, we look at "intelligent life" as being able to think or act like us. Star Trek always showed some interesting possibilities of what "intelligent life" might look like, much different than us.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

                                I think, too often, we look at "intelligent life" as being able to think or act like us. Star Trek always showed some interesting possibilities of what "intelligent life" might look like, much different than us.
                                I agree. Its very hard not to anthrophomorphize ( is that a word?) Hypothetical beings 'out there' and I've enjoyed watching movies that try to crack that egg (e.g. Arrival)

                                it is an interesting question: does there exist such a driver as convergent evolution when it comes to the development of intelligence. We could frame that theologically. Has God framed the universe in such a way that intelligence evolves 'in His image'
                                Don’t waste your time with explanations, people only hear what they want to hear.
                                --- Paulo Coelho

                                Comment

                                Related Threads

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by lee_merrill, 01-22-2022, 04:36 PM
                                8 responses
                                47 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post TheLurch  
                                Started by rogue06, 01-22-2022, 08:37 AM
                                24 responses
                                108 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post rogue06
                                by rogue06
                                 
                                Started by lee_merrill, 01-07-2022, 08:37 PM
                                2 responses
                                25 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Cow Poke  
                                Started by shunyadragon, 01-07-2022, 08:59 AM
                                41 responses
                                238 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post shunyadragon  
                                Started by rogue06, 01-02-2022, 01:44 PM
                                7 responses
                                43 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post rogue06
                                by rogue06
                                 
                                Working...
                                X