Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The five-year rechargeable battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The five-year rechargeable battery

Courtesy of Japan. This would make electric cars more reasonable, especially.

Source: PCMag

One of the major limiting factors of rechargeable batteries today is how quickly their capacity can degrade. After just a year of regularly recharging a lithium-ion battery, it can't get close to its full capacity anymore. However, a new material holds the promise of changing the situation and allowing full capacity charges for five or more years.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

This does not solve the problem that the charging of the batteries has to come from available electrical grids.

It's the range that's the bigger problem. When you run out of battery, can you walk to a power station and bring back a bucket of electricity?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      This does not solve the problem that the charging of the batteries has to come from available electrical grids.

It's the range that's the bigger problem. When you run out of battery, can you walk to a power station and bring back a bucket of electricity?
      In the future Triple A will have charging trucks.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        In the future Triple A will have charging trucks.
        Powered by diesel motors.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
          Courtesy of Japan. This would make electric cars more reasonable, especially.
          Wonder if that makes any difference with silicon. Silicon stores a lot more lithium per unit volume than graphite, and companies are gradually shifting to incorporating more of it into their batteries. (Its downside is that it expands a lot as the lithium is stored, and so can cause structural integrity problems, so we're not going to see pure lithium until that's solved.)
          "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
            Wonder if that makes any difference with silicon. Silicon stores a lot more lithium per unit volume than graphite, and companies are gradually shifting to incorporating more of it into their batteries. (Its downside is that it expands a lot as the lithium is stored, and so can cause structural integrity problems, so we're not going to see pure lithium until that's solved.)
            What do you know about hydrogen engines? Any advances on those?

Comment

All i know is that hydrogen production is featuring in more countries' plans. The UK and Netherlands are both integrating it with their offshore wind, and New Jersey's deal with offshore wind developers includes them constructing a pilot hydrogen production plant.

I don't know whether that's because of some specific advance that's made it more viable, or whether it's a "we're building enough wind that we're going to have electricity to spare on very windy days" situation. It's on my very long list of "things i need to talk to an expert about".

Comment

Amazingly, I just got a pre-release of a report on the economics of hydrogen. Remind me on Thursday when i'm allowed to talk about it if i forget to revisit this thread..

Comment

Amazingly, I just got a pre-release of a report on the economics of hydrogen. Remind me on Thursday when i'm allowed to talk about it if i forget to revisit this thread..
                  Looking forward to it... I've been doing some reading up on it myself, but a number of the articles are "Why hydrogen engines won't work...." or something along those lines.

Comment

Looking forward to it... I've been doing some reading up on it myself, but a number of the articles are "Why hydrogen engines won't work...." or something along those lines.
                    But they produce water as waste! Pretty soon they would flood the world and we would end up living on rafts like in Water World!

Comment

Right, so things i learned:
                      Hydrogen for cars doesn't make sense anymore. Battery prices are dropping and capacities are rising, and hydrogen is way too far behind the curve to catch up until hydrogen production gets really cheap.*

Other areas of transport that are hard to decarbonize otherwise, like trains, could still end up running on hydrogen. But for the next decade or more, we'll need a price on carbon emissions for that to make economic sense. The pricing mechanism doesn't matter — could be cap and trade, could be a fee, could be a tax — as long as it matches the societal-level costs that those emissions inflict.

Some industries, like fertilizer production, already use significant amounts of hydrogen. Swapping in carbon produced using renewable power would partly decarbonize these industries (facilities' energy use would still matter here). There are other industries, like steel production, that could switch to hydrogen from its current materials. Economically, renewable hydrogen production would soon be viable compared to current methods of producing hydrogen coupled with carbon capture and storage. Alternatively, a price on carbon would work here too.

For power generation, hydrogen produced using renewables can smooth over variability in generation due to renewables, but its window is pretty narrow. It needs a price on carbon, and can't compete with batteries for short term (~3 hours or so) storage. On the plus side, there are now generators that can burn either hydrogen or natural gas on the market, so they can use hydrogen when it's cheap, and still cover shortfalls if it's not.

Right now, we don't build a lot of hydrogen-producing hardware, so the market is small. But in response to China saying it's going carbon neutral by 2060, companies there are boosting production capacity dramatically. So hardware prices are less likely to be a major barrier to adoption over the coming decade.

*interesting side story here: Toyota bet big on fuel cells and, despite its early lead with hybrids, hasn't done a lot of development of electric vehicles. So it's now in the awkward position of selling the most popular hybrid, but lobbying against tougher fuel efficiency standards because it'll depend on all its non-hybrid models until it can catch up.
                      Last edited by TheLurch; 08-05-2021, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Right, so things i learned:
                        Hydrogen for cars doesn't make sense anymore. Battery prices are dropping and capacities are rising, and hydrogen is way too far behind the curve to catch up until hydrogen production gets really cheap.*

Other areas of transport that are hard to decarbonize otherwise, like trains, could still end up running on hydrogen. But for the next decade or more, we'll need a price on carbon emissions for that to make economic sense. The pricing mechanism doesn't matter — could be cap and trade, could be a fee, could be a tax — as long as it matches the societal-level costs that those emissions inflict.

Some industries, like fertilizer production, already use significant amounts of hydrogen. Swapping in carbon produced using renewable power would partly decarbonize these industries (facilities' energy use would still matter here). There are other industries, like steel production, that could switch to hydrogen from its current materials. Economically, renewable hydrogen production would soon be viable compared to current methods of producing hydrogen coupled with carbon capture and storage. Alternatively, a price on carbon would work here too.

For power generation, hydrogen produced using renewables can smooth over variability in generation due to renewables, but its window is pretty narrow. It needs a price on carbon, and can't compete with batteries for short term (~3 hours or so) storage. On the plus side, there are now generators that can burn either hydrogen or natural gas on the market, so they can use hydrogen when it's cheap, and still cover shortfalls if it's not.

Right now, we don't build a lot of hydrogen-producing hardware, so the market is small. But in response to China saying it's going carbon neutral by 2060, companies there are boosting production capacity dramatically. So hardware prices are less likely to be a major barrier to adoption over the coming decade.

*interesting side story here: Toyota bet big on fuel cells and, despite its early lead with hybrids, hasn't done a lot of development of electric vehicles. So it's now in the awkward position of selling the most popular hybrid, but lobbying against tougher fuel efficiency standards because it'll depend on all its non-hybrid models until it can catch up.
                        Interesting. Much appreciated. And kinda odd, because I've been seeing commercials touting the future of hydrogen in automobiles, and the only downside they mentioned was the scarcity of hydrogen refueling statings in vast markets.

I'll watch again for the sponsor - must be somebody invested in hydrogen fuel cell technology.

Comment