Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Scientists see moons forming around an exoplanet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientists see moons forming around an exoplanet.

As far the current observed planets in other solar systems they pretty much all have moons. We can see moons forming around an exoplanet.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/23/science/exoplanet-moon-disc.html

Astronomers See Moons Forming in Disk Around Distant Exoplanet

Scientists have never before gotten such a clear view of moons in the making.

An image made by the Very Large Telescope in Chile shows a forming planet, the bright spot at right. The blinding light of the central star is blacked out by a coronagraph mask.Credit...ALMA (ESO/NAOJ/NRAO)/Benisty et al.
    By Robin George Andrews

July 23, 2021, 10:45 a.m. ETOur solar system is home to a magnificent menagerie of moons, from icy ones filled with turbulent oceans to volcanic ones decorated with pits of raging hellfire. To date, astronomers have discovered 4,438 worlds orbiting other stars, and there is no doubt that diverse moons dance around most of these exoplanets. But stargazers have yet to conclusively find any — these exomoons have proven too small and too far-flung to be spotted.

Now, after years of observations of a pair of Jupiter-like exoplanets nearly 400 light-years from Earth, astronomers have found the next best thing: a disk of debris orbiting one of these worlds, a ring of rock and gas gradually coalescing under its own gravity. In other words, astronomers have caught a circumplanetary foundry in the act of making moons.

This is the first time such a feature has been unambiguously detected. And unlike many extrasolar discoveries, this object was not found through indirect methods — the subtle wobbling of a star revealing the presence of an orbiting planet, for example. This disk was effectively photographed. This is a real image of a baby planet surrounded by its very own moon-making forge.

Astronomers are unreservedly thrilled, and a little lost for words. “I don’t have coherent scientific thoughts. I just look at the image and say ‘wow’, every time I see it,” said Bruce Macintosh, an astronomer at Stanford University not involved with the study.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    As far the current observed planets in other solar systems they pretty much all have moons. We can see moons forming around an exoplanet.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/23/science/exoplanet-moon-disc.html

Astronomers See Moons Forming in Disk Around Distant Exoplanet

Scientists have never before gotten such a clear view of moons in the making.

An image made by the Very Large Telescope in Chile shows a forming planet, the bright spot at right. The blinding light of the central star is blacked out by a coronagraph mask.Credit...ALMA (ESO/NAOJ/NRAO)/Benisty et al.
    By Robin George Andrews

July 23, 2021, 10:45 a.m. ETOur solar system is home to a magnificent menagerie of moons, from icy ones filled with turbulent oceans to volcanic ones decorated with pits of raging hellfire. To date, astronomers have discovered 4,438 worlds orbiting other stars, and there is no doubt that diverse moons dance around most of these exoplanets. But stargazers have yet to conclusively find any — these exomoons have proven too small and too far-flung to be spotted.

Now, after years of observations of a pair of Jupiter-like exoplanets nearly 400 light-years from Earth, astronomers have found the next best thing: a disk of debris orbiting one of these worlds, a ring of rock and gas gradually coalescing under its own gravity. In other words, astronomers have caught a circumplanetary foundry in the act of making moons.

This is the first time such a feature has been unambiguously detected. And unlike many extrasolar discoveries, this object was not found through indirect methods — the subtle wobbling of a star revealing the presence of an orbiting planet, for example. This disk was effectively photographed. This is a real image of a baby planet surrounded by its very own moon-making forge.

Astronomers are unreservedly thrilled, and a little lost for words. “I don’t have coherent scientific thoughts. I just look at the image and say ‘wow’, every time I see it,” said Bruce Macintosh, an astronomer at Stanford University not involved with the study.

© Copyright Original Source

At this stage it'll take many, many moons for them to coalesce into moons

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment