Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

United Adding Supersonic Speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United Adding Supersonic Speeds

United Adding Supersonic Speeds with New Agreement to Buy Aircraft from Boom Supersonic

united.jpg

First U.S. airline to sign commercial agreement with Boom Supersonic

New aircraft will cut travel times in half and operate on up to 100% sustainable aviation fuel

June 03, 2021

CHICAGO and DENVER, June 3, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced a commercial agreement with Denver-based aerospace company Boom Supersonic to add aircraft to its global fleet as well as a cooperative sustainability initiative – a move that facilitates a leap forward in returning supersonic speeds to aviation.

Under the terms of the agreement, United will purchase 15 of Boom's 'Overture' airliners, once Overture meets United's demanding safety, operating and sustainability requirements, with an option for an additional 35 aircraft. The companies will work together on meeting those requirements before delivery. Once operational, Overture is expected to be the first large commercial aircraft to be net-zero carbon from day one, optimized to run on 100% sustainable aviation fuel (SAF). It is slated to roll out in 2025, fly in 2026 and expected to carry passengers by 2029. United and Boom will also work together to accelerate production of greater supplies of SAF.

"United continues on its trajectory to build a more innovative, sustainable airline and today's advancements in technology are making it more viable for that to include supersonic planes. Boom's vision for the future of commercial aviation, combined with the industry's most robust route network in the world, will give business and leisure travelers access to a stellar flight experience," United CEO Scott Kirby said. "Our mission has always been about connecting people and now working with Boom, we'll be able to do that on an even greater scale."

Capable of flying at speeds of Mach 1.7 – twice the speed of today's fastest airliners – Overture can connect more than 500 destinations in nearly half the time. Among the many future potential routes for United are Newark to London in just three and a half hours, Newark to Frankfurt in four hours and San Francisco to Tokyo in just six hours. Overture will also be designed with features such as in-seat entertainment screens, ample personal space, and contactless technology. Working with Boom is another component of United's strategy to invest in innovative technologies that will build a more sustainable future of air travel.

"The world's first purchase agreement for net-zero carbon supersonic aircraft marks a significant step toward our mission to create a more accessible world," said Blake Scholl, Boom Supersonic founder and CEO. "United and Boom share a common purpose—to unite the world safely and sustainably. At speeds twice as fast, United passengers will experience all the advantages of life lived in person, from deeper, more productive business relationships to longer, more relaxing vacations to far-off destinations."

About United

United's shared purpose is "Connecting People. Uniting the World." For more information, visit united.com, follow @United on Twitter and Instagram or connect on Facebook. The common stock of UAL is traded on the Nasdaq under the symbol "UAL."

Attached Files
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Concorde II?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Concorde II?
      My thoughts exactly - but hopefully better fated.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

My thoughts exactly - but hopefully better fated.
        Interestingly the Concorde was considerably faster, breaking Mach 2

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Interestingly the Concorde was considerably faster, breaking Mach 2
          I think United was really pushing the environmental aspect - the Concorde really didn't care, it just wanted to go fast.

Comment

Bet nobody can afford to fly on it.

Comment

I wonder how many people who actually flew on the Concorde are still alive today.

Since it was so expensive, I'm guessing it was mostly (relatively) older wealthy people, and the last Concorde flew in .... hm.... 2003.

That wasn't really so long ago, but it sure seems like it!

Comment

By the time they get this going, Branson will probably have his suborbital jets ready to compete.

Comment

I wonder how many people who actually flew on the Concorde are still alive today.

Since it was so expensive, I'm guessing it was mostly (relatively) older wealthy people, and the last Concorde flew in .... hm.... 2003.

I knew someone who flew on it back from London when offered the opportunity, but don't know if he's still around (he would be in his 60s).

He said it was the most uncomfortable trip he ever made outside of being in the back of a military aircraft.

Comment

I knew someone who flew on it back from London when offered the opportunity, but don't know if he's still around (he would be in his 60s).

He said it was the most uncomfortable trip he ever made outside of being in the back of a military aircraft.
                    Because of turbulence? Cramped quarters?

Comment

Lousy seats jammed together.

Comment

I heard it was a pretty tight fit.

Comment

I'm sure some of those older wealthy people took their kids or grandkids along with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

I'm sure some of those older wealthy people took their kids or grandkids along with them.
                            Yeah, quite possible, but the fact is that I was surprised to discover it wasn't all that long ago after all. Fun flies when you're having time.

Comment