Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Which Vaccine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Vaccine

OK, I figure my natural immunity is probably worn off by now, or nearly has. I was sick with covid in April/May of 2020, and I would be surprised if it is still potent.

So, what is the best, most effective, safest vaccine out there? Anybody?

Pfizer and Moderna are about equal from everything I have read. The Pfizer one has a slightly higher percentage of how well it protects like 95% v 94.1%.

Here is an article comparing the vaccines:

https://www.statnews.com/2021/02/02/...hnson-johnson/

Comment

Cool. I remember Lurch saying one vaccine was mostly "worthless" but I couldn't recall the name. It has probably fallen into disuse (not mentioned in the article). PfIzer is the easiest one for me to obtain. Thanks

Comment

They have pretty much stopped giving the AstraZeneca here because of related blood clot issues, and they don't even talk about the Johnson one. I've had Moderna, a sister has had the Pfizer.

They are recommending here that anyone who has had AstraZeneca as their first shot should get Moderna or Pfizer instead. Even our Little Pierre PM got Moderna for his second shot.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
          Cool. I remember Lurch saying one vaccine was mostly "worthless" but I couldn't recall the name. It has probably fallen into disuse (not mentioned in the article). PfIzer is the easiest one for me to obtain. Thanks
          Wasn't that hydroxychloroquine sulfate?
          When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post

Wasn't that hydroxychloroquine sulfate?
            I think it was the AstraZeneca that Mossrose mentioned

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
              FWIU, J&J was the only other brand that was available in the US, and while its use was suspended I don't recall hearing criticism concerning its effectiveness

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Ok, number of things.

I think Ronson is thinking of the discussion Rogue and I had about the two vaccines from Chinese companies that are based on inactivated viruses, and don't appear to be nearly as effective as most alternatives. They're not totally worthless, but they are definitely in "must have boosters from some other vaccine" territory.

The two mRNA vaccines appear to be effective against all current variants, but only after two doses. J&J takes longer (~6 weeks) after the injection to reach similar levels of protection, and the company released some early data indicating it's effective against the delta variant.

J&J does have a very rare blood clotting side effect, same as AstraZenica - not surprising, since they're based on the same technology. AstraZenica's been... weird. The company sent out a press release with numbers that didn't agree with the ones that eventually came out in a peer reviewed study, and it never even tried to get an Emergency Use Authorization in the US. It's probably fine, but it's just a little bit off. Russia's Sputnik also seems to be good, but again, the company's data on it definitely had some oddities.

Novavax has also released data that looks very good, and should be available in positively huge quantities by the end of the year, but is only just ramping up. There are a large number of others in various stages of development.

As far as we can tell, none of these prevent infections entirely. Instead, the infections are shorter, less likely to be symptomatic, and far less likely to require hospitalization. People who do get infected after vaccination are far less infectious as well. It's also clear that the virus is evolving in a way that allows it to avoid the immune response generated by both prior infections and vaccines. The most dangerous variant circulating currently is delta, and the vaccines all do somewhat worse against that: more symptomatic infections, more hospitalizations, etc. The good vaccines still keep people alive, but the margins of error are getting smaller.

The risk of further evolution that cuts down the effectiveness of the vaccines is why nobody's ruling out a need for boosters specifically designed for variants yet. There's also been no indication that the evolution of the virus has made it any less lethal.

The most important thing all of us can do is to keep from getting infected. The fewer infections there are anywhere, the smaller the virus population, and the fewer chances the virus will have for further evolution. This is why we should also support our countries' efforts to roll out vaccines globally, even if we're simply selfish about things: it ultimately protects us.
                "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                  Ok, number of things.

I think Ronson is thinking of the discussion Rogue and I had about the two vaccines from Chinese companies that are based on inactivated viruses, and don't appear to be nearly as effective as most alternatives. They're not totally worthless, but they are definitely in "must have boosters from some other vaccine" territory.

The two mRNA vaccines appear to be effective against all current variants, but only after two doses. J&J takes longer (~6 weeks) after the injection to reach similar levels of protection, and the company released some early data indicating it's effective against the delta variant.

J&J does have a very rare blood clotting side effect, same as AstraZenica - not surprising, since they're based on the same technology. AstraZenica's been... weird. The company sent out a press release with numbers that didn't agree with the ones that eventually came out in a peer reviewed study, and it never even tried to get an Emergency Use Authorization in the US. It's probably fine, but it's just a little bit off. Russia's Sputnik also seems to be good, but again, the company's data on it definitely had some oddities.

Novavax has also released data that looks very good, and should be available in positively huge quantities by the end of the year, but is only just ramping up. There are a large number of others in various stages of development.

As far as we can tell, none of these prevent infections entirely. Instead, the infections are shorter, less likely to be symptomatic, and far less likely to require hospitalization. People who do get infected after vaccination are far less infectious as well. It's also clear that the virus is evolving in a way that allows it to avoid the immune response generated by both prior infections and vaccines. The most dangerous variant circulating currently is delta, and the vaccines all do somewhat worse against that: more symptomatic infections, more hospitalizations, etc. The good vaccines still keep people alive, but the margins of error are getting smaller.

The risk of further evolution that cuts down the effectiveness of the vaccines is why nobody's ruling out a need for boosters specifically designed for variants yet. There's also been no indication that the evolution of the virus has made it any less lethal.

The most important thing all of us can do is to keep from getting infected. The fewer infections there are anywhere, the smaller the virus population, and the fewer chances the virus will have for further evolution. This is why we should also support our countries' efforts to roll out vaccines globally, even if we're simply selfish about things: it ultimately protects us.
                  A couple months back the head of Johnson & Johnson was saying something about needing yearly shots for several years. I don't know if he was talking like booster shots or more like what we see with flu shots.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post

FTR, Drs. Risch and McCullough directly reject the bolded portions in this video clip from around June 29.
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                      FTR, Drs. Risch and McCullough directly reject the bolded portions in this video clip from around June 29.
                      I'm looking forward to seeing data backing up their claim.

Comment

My family had Moderna. Though I know some who had the JJ, mostly cause its one dose.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

I'm looking forward to seeing data backing up their claim.
                          Dr. McCullough cited a study in England. I'm not going to bother tracking it down.
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Dr. McCullough cited a study in England. I'm not going to bother tracking it down.
                            Me neither. But I'm also not going to take his word for what conclusions should be drawn from said study.

Comment

Most diseases will evolve to be less deadly, because that way they spread easier and further. Killing off the host is bad business.

Comment