Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The "Nope" file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Nope" file

Well, this is interesting.

Source: ‘Spider apocalypse’ hits Australia covering countryside in eerie blankets of cobwebs after biblical mouse plague

BLANKETS of cobwebs are covering the Australian countryside in what has been dubbed a "spider apocalypse" as the country battles a biblical mouse plague.

Thick blankets of spider webs have been pictured stretched across the Gippsland region amid heavy rain and subsequent flooding in Victoria.

The spooky veil covering shrubs, grass, and road signs, shows the spider's attempts to flee the floodwaters and seek refuge on higher ground.

The pictures, shared on Reddit, were posted alongside the caption: " If the floods weren't enough, I give you, spider apocalypse."

The southeastern state has been ravaged by heavy rain and strong winds, forcing thousands to evacuate.

Parts of the region were closed last week after the rain left residents without power.

But despite the horror of social media users, Professor Dieter Hochuli from the University of Sydney determined the insects were sheetweb spiders and said the behaviour was not unusual after floods.

"They build a web that is a little bit different to the ones we're more familiar with, like orb webs, their ones are flat and the spiders often live between two layers of webbing," he told 7 News.

"When we get these types of very heavy rains and flooding these animals who spend their lives cryptically on the ground can't live there anymore, and do exactly what we try to do - they move to the higher ground."

With another 50mm of rain forecast in East Gippsland this week, it is thought the spiders could persist with their survival tactic again.

Local reports suggest the phenomenon is known as ballooning, where cooler weather conditions have prompted spiders to cover stretches of land in cloudlike cobwebs to try and shelter themselves from wet conditions.

The latest pest problem comes as the country battles tens of millions of rampaging mice tormenting communities.

There have been calls for the mouse plague to be declared a "natural disaster" so frustrated Aussies can claim insurance payouts after a house was torched, cars were destroyed and crops left decimated.

Horrific outbreaks stretch 1,000km from Brisbane to Melbourne and have been wreaking havoc for farming communities for nearly a year.

One farmer's wife was rushed to hospital last week after she woke to one mouse chewing on her EYEBALL.

She is one of many victims of the outbreak, being described as the worst in more than 30 years, The Times reports.

Another farmer was fast asleep when he felt something small scuttling across his face.

Mick Harris, who lives in Narromine, about 250 miles inland from Sydney, said: "I felt a tickly, furry sensation as it crawled from behind my ear across my cheek.

"It made my skin crawl. My hair stood up and I jumped out of bed."

As the Australian winter sets in, home and car owners have been forced to deal with rats and mice looking for warmer places to live.

The rodents have eaten through electrical wires which sparked a house fire in Narrabri, New South Wales, while cars have been damaged.

Mum-of-three Shirilee Jackson, 31, who lives in Mandagery, NSW, said a swarm of rats and mice left her car damaged beyond repair in just one night.

She told A Current Affair: "Ten grand's (£5,474) worth of damage. I've woken up at five o'clock in the morning to find the seatbelts chewed, the heater unit, flooring, head rest, and child's car seat chewed.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Here are some of the pictures of the webs

The article also has several pictures of mounds of dead mice and rats as well.

I know that Australia has experienced massive swarms of mice and rats before, but this time one has combined with the spider infestation making it look like they still have 8 more plagues to go.

I called this thread 'The "nope" File' due to all the memes of folks who would rather move or burn their house down that deal with spiders.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Australia really must be stopped before it kills again.
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
      Australia really must be stopped before it kills again.
      It's been said that basically everything in Australia is trying to kill you.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Frogs eat snakes (even the taipan), spiders eat birds, It can be an interesting place to live.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Apparently these spider swarms aren't uncommon. According to The Guardian, which quoted Dr. Ken Walker, a senior curator of entomology at the Melbourne Museum:

“It’s a semi-regular occurrence in Victoria in wintertime when we get most of our rain. Spiders can make a wide range of different silks and one of the silks they use for this behaviour – ballooning – it’s a very, very thin little silk that they use … to fly away with the breeze. They could fly 100km,” he said.

“What’s happened is there’s been a massive flooding event pretty quickly … so they’re using the ballooning not to escape for hundreds of kilometres but to almost throw up a lasso on top of the vegetation. It hooks on to the tops of the vegetation because it’s lighter than air, and then they quickly climb up.”

This phenomenon, sometimes called the gossamer effect, is caused by “vagrant hunter” spider species, which live on the ground and do not build a web. They also do not create webs after ballooning away from a flood. In fact, Walker said, each spider only threw up a single thread, meaning every tiny line of silk represented a different animal.

“I would say millions of spiders [in the photos online],” he said.

Speaking of photos... here are a few more along with a video.

Comment

Giraffe and spider.jpg

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

spider house fire.jpg

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Comment

Comment

You should have put a warning in the title of this thread so Michele doesn't accidentally wander in.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                      You should have put a warning in the title of this thread so Michele doesn't accidentally wander in.
                      You mean like the title?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        You mean like the title?
                        Well, actually I was thinking it should say something like, "RTT! Don't come in here!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111"

Comment

Well, actually I was thinking it should say something like, "RTT! Don't come in here!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111"
                          What would truly be evil would be to do one of those mossrose thingies but with @RTT (done right of course), which would likely draw her here.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            What would truly be evil would be to do one of those mossrose thingies but with @RTT (done right of course), which would likely draw her here.
                            You are evil personified!

Comment

You are evil personified!

It is my (occasional) ability to resist temptation that makes me different.

Besides, I started a Smurf thread in her area which should be enough for one day.

Comment