Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Recent Covid-19 infections and the unvaccinated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    where's the herd immunity?
    Among the vaccinated.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

So this study shows that there is no benefit for previously infected people to get the vaccine.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....01.21258176v2

Background The purpose of this study was to evaluate the necessity of COVID-19 vaccination in persons previously infected with SARS-CoV-2.

Results Among the 52238 included employees, 1359 (53%) of 2579 previously infected subjects remained unvaccinated, compared with 22777 (41%) of 49659 not previously infected. The cumulative incidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection remained almost zero among previously infected unvaccinated subjects, previously infected subjects who were vaccinated, and previously uninfected subjects who were vaccinated, compared with a steady increase in cumulative incidence among previously uninfected subjects who remained unvaccinated. Not one of the 1359 previously infected subjects who remained unvaccinated had a SARS-CoV-2 infection over the duration of the study. In a Cox proportional hazards regression model, after adjusting for the phase of the epidemic, vaccination was associated with a significantly lower risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection among those not previously infected (HR 0.031, 95% CI 0.015 to 0.061) but not among those previously infected (HR 0.313, 95% CI 0 to Infinity).

Conclusions Individuals who have had SARS-CoV-2 infection are unlikely to benefit from COVID-19 vaccination, and vaccines can be safely prioritized to those who have not been infected before.

No mention of different strains though.
      New strain from the UK possibly from India represents ~6% new cases in USA apparently spread to UK than the USA, Other new strains identified India.

Source: https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-reports/exclusives/92345

India's COVID-19 Variant: What We Know So Far

— Not yet clear how much the current surge is driven by this new variant

by Veronica Hackethal, MD, MSc, Enterprise & Investigative Writer, MedPage Today April 29, 2021

As COVID-19 cases overwhelm hospitals in India, a new coronavirus variant has emerged.

Dubbed the "double mutant" variant and announced barely one month ago, already researchers are trying to figure out whether it could be causing the surge in cases -- and what that could mean for the rest of the world.

"We need to keep a close eye on this variant," Katelyn Jetelina, PhD, MPH, of the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, wrote in a recent email newsletter.

Why "Double Mutant"?

Its official name is B.1.617, and the "double mutant" is a bit of a misnomer, because it actually carries 13 mutations, 7 of which are in the spike protein. But the moniker comes from two notable mutations found in other variants that appeared together for the first time in this new strain: the L452R mutation and the E484Q mutation.

The L452R mutation in the spike protein was first found in the COVID-19 variant detected in California. One study found that the California variant carrying this mutation may be up to 20% more transmissible than wild-type strains.

The E484Q mutation is notable because it appears to be very similar to the E484K mutations found in the B.1.351 (South African) and P.1 (Brazilian) variants. The E484K mutation in these variants is considered an "escape mutation" because it enables SARS-CoV-2 to evade immune protection with monoclonal antibodies, which may decrease the effectiveness of vaccines. So far, though, current vaccines appear to be holding up against these variants, according to Jetelina.

© Copyright Original Source

My sarcastic comment to your post concerning 'herd immunity' needs clarification. Herd Immunlty' is not set concept. It is conditional on many factors. It is dependent on high vaccination rates. The vaccination rate of the USA is generall not that high. Areas of the USA, like the conservative states have very low vaccination rates, therefore no reasonable chance of herd immunity yet.

But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Among the vaccinated.
        That's not what herd immunity means Shunya.

Comment

While the MSM seeks to focus attention on white evangelicals who haven't been vaccinated they only do so to take the spotlight off the largest group of unvaccinated. Blacks. In fact, we're starting to hear whining from the left about a black/white vaccination rate gap and demands that this needs to be addressed. Of course those complaining haven't offered any suggestions of their own.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That's not what herd immunity means Shunya.
            It was sarcasm concerning the misuse of the concept of herd immunity. You would understand if you read my next post.

Frank

Comment

It was sarcasm concerning the misuse of the concept of herd immunity. You would understand if you read my next post.
              But I didn't misuse the concept of herd immunity. I asked a simple question.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                While the MSM seeks to focus attention on white evangelicals who haven't been vaccinated they only do so to take the spotlight off the largest group of unvaccinated. Blacks. In fact, we're starting to hear whining from the left about a black/white vaccination rate gap and demands that this needs to be addressed. Of course those complaining haven't offered any suggestions of their own.
                Large numbers of blacks are born again and other evangelical Christians, which in all races have a low vaccination rate.

Frank

Comment

Large numbers of blacks are born again and other evangelical Christians, which in all races have a low vaccination rate.
                  gee, I am evangelical and I got the vaccine. Being evangelical has nothing to do with it. There are antivaxxers in all political groups and religions.

Comment

gee, I am evangelical and I got the vaccine. Being evangelical has nothing to do with it. There are antivaxxers in all political groups and religions.
                    Your anecdotal subjective testimony is admirable, but does not represent the racts.

I can cite many references that the anti-vaccine of non-vaccinated dominates White Republicans an born again Christian evangelicals. Start with this one.

Source: https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/23/covid-vaccine-hesitancy-white-republicans/

White Republicans are refusing to get the COVID-19 vaccine more than any other demographic group in Texas

In Texas, 59% of Republicans either said they are reluctant to get the vaccine or would refuse it outright, according to the February University of Texas/Texas Tribune Poll.

At the beginning of the nation’s vaccine rollout, experts warned that people of color, particularly Black and brown people, could be skeptical or fearful about getting vaccinated. But over the past few months, white Republicans have emerged as the demographic group that’s proven most consistently hesitant about COVID-19 vaccines.

In Texas, 61% of white Republicans, and 59% of all Republicans regardless of race, either said they are reluctant to get the vaccine or would refuse it outright, according to the February University of Texas/Texas Tribune Poll. That’s not an insignificant portion of the state’s population — over 52% of the state’s ballots in November were cast for former President Donald Trump.

Only 25% of Texas Democrats said they were hesitant or would refuse to get a COVID-19 shot, according to the poll.

Scientists and doctors stress that vaccines are safe and highly effective at preventing the worst outcomes of COVID-19, including hospitalizations and deaths. No one has died because of the vaccines, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports. Some people may experience short-term side effects, but those effects quickly subside.
                    Get Ross Ramsey's analysis of politics and policy delivered to your inbox
                    t Ross Ramsey's analysis of politics and policy delivered to your inbox

But the trend among Republicans is nationwide. A Civiqs poll updated in March indicated that white Republicans make up the largest demographic of people in the U.S. who remain vaccine hesitant with 53% saying they were either unsure about or not getting the vaccine.

Meanwhile, people of color have shown increased confidence in the vaccine over the past few months. In October 2020, 53% of Black Texans said they would not get a COVID-19 vaccine — a percentage that dropped to 29% when asked last month, according to UT/Texas Tribune polls. By comparison, 43% of Texas Republicans said they would not get the vaccine in October, compared with 41% last month.

Most hesitancy among Republicans stems from a distrust of scientists and an unfounded concern about how new the vaccine is, said Timothy Callaghan, an assistant professor of health policy management at the Texas A&M School of Public Health.

“What you do find is that over time conservatives have been more vaccine hesitant than liberals, which you can largely attribute to higher levels of distrust in the scientific establishment among conservatives,” Callaghan said. “However, the actions of certain political actors over the past few years have sort of intensified those beliefs within the party.”

Frank

Comment

Your anecdotal subjective testimony is admirable, but does not represent the racts.

I can cite many references that the anti-vaccine of non-vaccinated dominates White Republicans an born again Christian evangelicals. Start with this one.

Source: https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/23/covid-vaccine-hesitancy-white-republicans/

White Republicans are refusing to get the COVID-19 vaccine more than any other demographic group in Texas

In Texas, 59% of Republicans either said they are reluctant to get the vaccine or would refuse it outright, according to the February University of Texas/Texas Tribune Poll.

At the beginning of the nation’s vaccine rollout, experts warned that people of color, particularly Black and brown people, could be skeptical or fearful about getting vaccinated. But over the past few months, white Republicans have emerged as the demographic group that’s proven most consistently hesitant about COVID-19 vaccines.

In Texas, 61% of white Republicans, and 59% of all Republicans regardless of race, either said they are reluctant to get the vaccine or would refuse it outright, according to the February University of Texas/Texas Tribune Poll. That’s not an insignificant portion of the state’s population — over 52% of the state’s ballots in November were cast for former President Donald Trump.

Only 25% of Texas Democrats said they were hesitant or would refuse to get a COVID-19 shot, according to the poll.

Scientists and doctors stress that vaccines are safe and highly effective at preventing the worst outcomes of COVID-19, including hospitalizations and deaths. No one has died because of the vaccines, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports. Some people may experience short-term side effects, but those effects quickly subside.
                      Get Ross Ramsey's analysis of politics and policy delivered to your inbox
                      t Ross Ramsey's analysis of politics and policy delivered to your inbox

But the trend among Republicans is nationwide. A Civiqs poll updated in March indicated that white Republicans make up the largest demographic of people in the U.S. who remain vaccine hesitant with 53% saying they were either unsure about or not getting the vaccine.

Meanwhile, people of color have shown increased confidence in the vaccine over the past few months. In October 2020, 53% of Black Texans said they would not get a COVID-19 vaccine — a percentage that dropped to 29% when asked last month, according to UT/Texas Tribune polls. By comparison, 43% of Texas Republicans said they would not get the vaccine in October, compared with 41% last month.

Most hesitancy among Republicans stems from a distrust of scientists and an unfounded concern about how new the vaccine is, said Timothy Callaghan, an assistant professor of health policy management at the Texas A&M School of Public Health.

“What you do find is that over time conservatives have been more vaccine hesitant than liberals, which you can largely attribute to higher levels of distrust in the scientific establishment among conservatives,” Callaghan said. “However, the actions of certain political actors over the past few years have sort of intensified those beliefs within the party.”

Now you are conflating "Republicans" for "Evangelical Christians" ...and around 50% is not a majority. ...and "unsure" is not "refusing to get vaccinated"

Comment

Now you are conflating "Republicans" for "Evangelical Christians" ...and around 50% is not a majority. ...and "unsure" is not "refusing to get vaccinated"
                        Source: https://apnorc.org/projects/confidence-in-covid-19-vaccines-rises/

Fewer Americans are reluctant to get immunized against the coronavirus and they are growing more confident in the safety and efficacy of COVID-19 vaccines and the quality of their distribution. But those who still hesitate have concerns about whether the vaccines have been properly tested. And 61% of those who are hesitant worry about side effects from the vaccines.

Even as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has relaxed guidelines regarding the wearing of masks outdoors, Americans continue to report high levels of compliance with mask wearing and social distancing. Compliance is particularly high among those who have already been vaccinated.

Democrats are much more likely than Republicans and independents to be vaccinated. Despite initial doubts at the start of the vaccine rollout, attitudes toward COVID-19 vaccines are improving. As the number of inoculated people in the United States increases, so does confidence that the vaccine is being distributed quickly, safely, and equitably.

Frank

Comment

Fewer Americans are reluctant to get immunized against the coronavirus and they are growing more confident in the safety and efficacy of COVID-19 vaccines and the quality of their distribution. But those who still hesitate have concerns about whether the vaccines have been properly tested. And 61% of those who are hesitant worry about side effects from the vaccines.

Even as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has relaxed guidelines regarding the wearing of masks outdoors, Americans continue to report high levels of compliance with mask wearing and social distancing. Compliance is particularly high among those who have already been vaccinated.

Democrats are much more likely than Republicans and independents to be vaccinated. Despite initial doubts at the start of the vaccine rollout, attitudes toward COVID-19 vaccines are improving. As the number of inoculated people in the United States increases, so does confidence that the vaccine is being distributed quickly, safely, and equitably.

wow. 17%???? I think that proves my point, not yours.

Comment

https://www.news-medical.net/amp/new...nic-study.aspx

Interestingly, no significant difference in COVID-19 incidence was observed between previously infected and currently unvaccinated participants, previously infected and currently vaccinated participants, and previously uninfected and currently vaccinated participants.

The participants from these three groups exhibited a significantly lower incidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection compared to previously uninfected and currently unvaccinated participants.

Specifically, of all infections during the study period, 99.3% occurred in participants who were not infected previously and remained unvaccinated. In contrast, only 0.7% of infections occurred in participants who were not previously infected but were currently vaccinated.

Importantly, not a single incidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection was observed in previously infected participants with or without vaccination.

With further statistical analysis, it was observed that the COVID-19 vaccination significantly reduced the risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection in previously uninfected participants but not in previously infected participants.

Although the study did not directly estimate the duration of protection from natural infection, it was observed that previously infected participants remained protected against COVID-19 for at least 10 months after the symptom onset or a positive test result.

Study significance

The study findings reveal that individuals who previously had symptomatic COVID-19 are less likely to get additional benefits from vaccination.

In contrast, individuals without prior SARS-CoV-2 infection can get the maximum benefits from vaccination. Thus, based on the study findings, COVID-19 vaccines should be prioritized to naïve individuals without a history of SARS-CoV-2 infection.
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Don't you think it is funny that these sources aren't breaking it down by race? I mean it is something they do with virtually every single poll. If it was just one that's a fluke, but when it is a whole lot more than one...

So why not here? Why not a racial breakdown like they do with everything else?

Now I'm just spit-balling here but could it just possible that they realized if it was broken down that way that the narrative they want to push collapses? That it is obvious that the largest group expressing reservations about getting a vaccine is not the one that the left wants to sneer at and mock.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That's a rather small sample size, and a month old.
                                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment