Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Recent Covid-19 infections and the unvaccinated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent Covid-19 infections and the unvaccinated

Statistics is showing that by far the majority of new casws, hospitalizations and deargs are those that are not vaccinated or fully vaccinated.

Source: https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/vaccine/almost-all-covid-cases-now-occurring-in-those-not-vaccinated-studies-show/289-50b9238f-8a62-4b9c-a031-5e91de7daaac

Almost all COVID cases now occurring in those not vaccinated studies show

New, emerging science shows there is a reason for vaccinated people to be optimistic about getting back to normal, but not as much for the unvaccinated.

NEW ORLEANS — COVID-19 cases, deaths and hospitalizations are going down across the country. In fact, the case rate is the lowest it's been in nearly a year.
    That may sound like good news, but it's only good news for some.
    New, emerging science shows there is a reason for vaccinated people to be optimistic about getting back to normal, but not as much for the unvaccinated.

Let's start with the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio.

Its study finds 99.75 percent of the patients this year who had to be hospitalized, sick with COVID, were not fully vaccinated. And of the employees who tested positive for the virus, 99.7 percent had not gotten the vaccine.

But among those who got the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, it was more than 96 percent effective in protecting them from getting COVID-19.

Now let's look at some states. Unvaccinated people in states such as Colorado, Maine, Rhode Island and Washington are having high infection spikes similar to the winter surge. Similarly, the African-American community in Washington D.C. is where 80 percent of that city's new cases are showing up, because of lower vaccination rates. And in some states there is still a steady death rate, but only among the unvaccinated. In Maryland the risk of going to the hospital if you’ve been infected, is going up if you're not vaccinated, possibly due to the variants that are spreading.

So we wanted to know where Louisiana stands, but the state does not post infections or hospitalizations by vaccine status. So according to LCMC which runs six local hospitals, the people coming into hospital emergency rooms with COVID are typically the unvaccinated. Very few who got the shot come in and have to be admitted, and if they do, their cases are mild.

So doctors say the bottom line is things are getting safer for the vaccinated, that's the reason overall numbers are going down, but the unvaccinated are still at risk and getting the wrong safety message.

Another concern doctors have is that new variants will be created in people who are not vaccinated and that the vaccine can not protect against.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Statistics is showing that by far the majority of new cases, hospitalizations and deaths are those that are not vaccinated or fully vaccinated.
    That's to be expected.

What's not to be expected is that they will particularly care, as long as they are dying at a lower rate than they did in the last year. And thanks to those of us who were vaccinated, that's likely to be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

That's to be expected.

What's not to be expected is that they will particularly care, as long as they are dying at a lower rate than they did in the last year. And thanks to those of us who were vaccinated, that's likely to be the case.
      That is a positive spin, but also they remain a source of possible mutations that result in more resistant viruses,
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

That is a positive spin, but also they remain a source of possible mutations that result in more resistant viruses,
        True, but there will probably be vaccines for them, too. As long as the hospitals aren't in danger of being overrun, I have difficulty working up the energy to try to convince people to get vaccinated who don't want to.

Comment

where's the herd immunity?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Haven't you heard?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Non-existent until vaccination reaches 75-80%.

Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Statistics is showing that by far the majority of new casws, hospitalizations and deargs are those that are not vaccinated or fully vaccinated.
                Your article completely ignores the percentage of people who already had covid and should have natural immunity. How do they factor in?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Your article completely ignores the percentage of people who already had covid and should have natural immunity. How do they factor in?
                  Immunity generated by infection seems to be less robust than most vaccines. (About 70-80% as effective as the good vaccines, although far better than the bad ones like Sinovac, and the picture with variants is complicated). As such, the US is recommending that everyone gets vaccinated, even if you've had a SARS-2 infection.

I'm not aware of any source of vaccination data that breaks out previously infected individuals, though, or how having had a past infection influences intent to get vaccinated. So, all i can say at this point is that the previously infected are contributing towards herd immunity, and contributing even more if they've gotten vaccination as well.
                  "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Getting the first Pfizer shot the 28th.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                      Immunity generated by infection seems to be less robust than most vaccines. (About 70-80% as effective as the good vaccines, although far better than the bad ones like Sinovac, and the picture with variants is complicated). As such, the US is recommending that everyone gets vaccinated, even if you've had a SARS-2 infection.
                      That's counter intuitive. Unless these vaccines have a mechanism involved that tricks a person's immune system into fighting off variants, I don't understand how it can be more effective.

I'm not aware of any source of vaccination data that breaks out previously infected individuals, though, or how having had a past infection influences intent to get vaccinated. So, all i can say at this point is that the previously infected are contributing towards herd immunity, and contributing even more if they've gotten vaccination as well.
                      As far as influencing intent, in my case, that is affected more by the abbreviated testing these vaccines underwent. There is no replacing time when it comes to evaluating complications that may arise later.

But, having said this, I'll probably get the vaccine in the coming months. I figure the initial covid I contracted has mutated by now to undermine my immunity.

Comment

That's counter intuitive. Unless these vaccines have a mechanism involved that tricks a person's immune system into fighting off variants, I don't understand how it can be more effective.
                        SARS-2 has proteins that function to tone down or disable aspects of the immune response. The vaccines don't have those, so they generate a more robust immune response.

As far as influencing intent, in my case, that is affected more by the abbreviated testing these vaccines underwent. There is no replacing time when it comes to evaluating complications that may arise later.
                        No, but there's not really any known mechanism by which they can have long term effects other than the immunity they generate. If there is something, it occurs by a mechanism we are completely unaware of.

Comment

Antibodies that attach to the spike protein are more protective than antibodies that attach somewhere else on the virus, since the spike protein is key to how the virus attaches itself to and invades cells. The vaccines train the immune system with the spike protein only.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post

No, but there's not really any known mechanism by which they can have long term effects other than the immunity they generate. If there is something, it occurs by a mechanism we are completely unaware of.
                            In light of the parts I bolded, you are actually supporting those of us who prefer to wait -- even as much as years -- for more data.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                              In light of the parts I bolded, you are actually supporting those of us who prefer to wait -- even as much as years -- for more data.
                              Well, it shouldn't. All of the ingredients in the RNA vaccine - lipids, RNA, etc. - are also present in everything you eat. But if you don't like those, just go for the J&J or AstraZenica vaccines, which are similar to things already in use. By a week after any of these vaccines, the only thing left is the immune response. If you're worried about that having long-term consequences of an immune response, you should really never leave the house.

There's never zero uncertainty about anything. It would be nice to think i could acknowledge that without someone leaping on it and saying "SEE!"

Comment