Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Thanks for tropical forests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Well, I'm down to repeating myself, so I will let you have the last word, and let any readers decide who has the better argument.

Blessings,
    Lee
    Repeating yourself has not deminished the fact that 'The Lurch' has documented and demonstrated the bad science in your line of reasoning and argument(?).
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
      Well, I'm down to repeating myself, so I will let you have the last word, and let any readers decide who has the better argument.
      To summarize the arguments:
      Lee supports the statement that, in the absence of that carbon sequestration, the Earth would be hot enough to be nearly uninhabitable.

Tropical forests have a warming effect due to albedo change, offset at least in part by their ability to sequester carbon. Lee ignored the albedo issue, and spent the entire time arguing about the Amazon's ability to sequester carbon. Lee found an estimate of the amount of carbon stored in the Amazon, but that's only enough to offset about 0.2C of warming. Certainly not enough to to sterilize earth.

Lee then abandoned that, and focuses on a study that estimates the Amazon's carbon sequestration over the last 10-15 years. Even though the data was obtained in part by satellites, Lee argued that it covered 1,300 years. He also argued that the rate from the last decade should be applicable for tens of millions of years, even though the climate conditions varied greatly over that time — something he initially argued averaged out, before accepting that it had not.

The amount of carbon sequestered in Lee's estimate totals to orders of magnitude more than the amount of carbon available within the carbon cycle, and would require the Amazon to be several kilometers higher than it is at present. Lee proposes that the carbon leaves the Amazon, but somehow remains sequestered. The one mechanism he suggested might do that involved it going into a subduction zone, which of course doesn't actually exist in the Atlantic basin.

I miss anything?
      "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment