Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Water from thin air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water from thin air

Squeezing water out of thin air seems to have become more practical!

Source:

“The goal of this collaborative project is to produce a device capable of producing enough daily water for 150 people while still small enough and light enough that the device could be lifted by four people,” said Dr. T. Grant Glover...

This technology also could eventually help alleviate water shortages globally. According to the World Wildlife Fund, 1.1 billion people do not have access to water with approximately 2.7 billion experiencing instances of water scarcity.

“Everyone involved with the project recognizes that this device would have broad impacts on these populations,” Glover said.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Interesting. The air is not so thin. Yes, this technology has been under development for some time.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

University of Alabama? The air is so thick and humid there, you can pretty much just leave a cold sponge outside for 5 minutes and it will be full of water.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        University of Alabama? The air is so thick and humid there, you can pretty much just leave a cold sponge outside for 5 minutes and it will be full of water.
        University of South Alabama, and yes it is humid there! I went to school at this university. But it would be neat if they can provide water for 150 people, with a small machine...

Blessings,
        Lee
        "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Yeah, I'll stay sceptical given the problems of power generation itself and the amount of energy necessary to cool water.

If they're using MOFs like Dr. Omar Yaghi detailed in a 2018 paper, it does require a heat sink and a fan.

While I wouldn't cite him for religious issues, Thunderf00t took a crack at it back in 2017 referencing this paper.

MIT developed something that doesn't use MOFs detailed here.

P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
            MIT developed something that doesn't use MOFs detailed here.
            Well, neat! It sounds like they're making good progress...

Source: MIT

The present production rate of about 0.8 liters of water per square meter per day may be adequate for some applications, but if this rate can be improved with some further fine-tuning and materials choices, this could become practical on a large scale, she says.

Blessings,
            Lee

Comment

But the places that need "water from air" are in deserts, where it is very arid and the air has no water in it to extract.

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                Well, neat! It sounds like they're making good progress...

Source: MIT

The present production rate of about 0.8 liters of water per square meter per day may be adequate for some applications, but if this rate can be improved with some further fine-tuning and materials choices, this could become practical on a large scale, she says.

Blessings,
                Lee
                At 0.8L per day per m2, a man would need 4.625 m2 to get 3.7L per day and a woman would need 3.375 m2 to get 2.7L per day (per Mayo). So, let's look at the country of Chad. It had an 2018 estimated population of 15,833,116 with 7,826,670 for men and 8,006,446 for women. (per Wiki) The men would 36,198,348.75 m2 and the women would need 27,021,755.25 m2 for a combined 62,220,104 m2 worth of material. That's assuming ideal conditions.
                P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment