Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

A DENSE advance in simulations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A DENSE advance in simulations

I believe neural nets are the future of AI...

Source: Science

Modeling immensely complex natural phenomena such as how subatomic particles interact or how atmospheric haze affects climate can take many hours on even the fastest supercomputers. Emulators, algorithms that quickly approximate these detailed simulations, offer a shortcut. Now, work posted online shows how artificial intelligence (AI) can easily produce accurate emulators that can accelerate simulations across all of science by billions of times.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Quite an advance!

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    I believe neural nets are the future of AI...

Source: Science

Modeling immensely complex natural phenomena such as how subatomic particles interact or how atmospheric haze affects climate can take many hours on even the fastest supercomputers. Emulators, algorithms that quickly approximate these detailed simulations, offer a shortcut. Now, work posted online shows how artificial intelligence (AI) can easily produce accurate emulators that can accelerate simulations across all of science by billions of times.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Quite an advance!

Blessings,
    Lee
    This is a simulation and not natural reality.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I believe this is a reference to the greatly increased performance of computers to perform simulations, nothing more.
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        I believe this is a reference to the greatly increased performance of computers to perform simulations, nothing more.
        Well, it's using neural networks to replace simulations, so they can run up to a billion times faster, with surprising accuracy!

Blessings,
        Lee
        "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
          Well, it's using neural networks to replace simulations, so they can run up to a billion times faster, with surprising accuracy!

Blessings,
          Lee
          It is a simulation of neural networks, and not natural neural networks, which is the direct of AI for some time.

Source:

"The new emulators are based on neural networks—machine learning systems inspired by the brain’s wiring—and need far less training. Neural networks consist of simple computing elements that link into circuitries particular for different tasks. Normally the connection strengths evolve through training. But with a technique called neural architecture search, the most data-efficient wiring pattern for a given task can be identified.

The technique, called Deep Emulator Network Search (DENSE), relies on a general neural architecture search co-developed by Melody Guan, a computer scientist at Stanford University. It randomly inserts layers of computation between the networks’ input and output, and tests and trains the resulting wiring with the limited data. If an added layer enhances performance, it’s more likely to be included in future variations. Repeating the process improves the emulator. Guan says it’s “exciting” to see her work used “toward scientific discovery.” Muhammad Kasim, a physicist at the University of Oxford who led the study, which was posted on the preprint server arXiv in January, says his team built on Guan’s work because it balanced accuracy and efficiency."

Frank

Comment