Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Temporary polar reversal 42,000 years ago was catastrophic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporary polar reversal 42,000 years ago was catastrophic

Previously polar reversals were considered mild events in geologic history. New research accurately dates the temporary reversal 42,000 years ago was devastating.

Source: https://earthsky.org/earth/magnetic-field-reversal-42000-years-ago-neanderthal-extinction

Upheaval and extinctions linked to magnetic reversal 42,000 years ago

Posted by Kelly Whitt in EARTH | HUMAN WORLD

A magnetic reversal 42,000 years ago helped bring about earthly extinctions, scientists said, accompanied by changes in the sky including electrical storms and widespread auroras. “It would have been scary,” they commented.

A new international study suggests that a magnetic field reversal – combined with changing solar winds – contributed to an environmental crisis and mass extinctions 42,000 years ago. It happened around the time of the demise of the Neanderthals, an extinct human species that once roamed what’s now Europe, these scientists said, and it would have come with electrical storms, widespread auroras and an influx of cosmic radiation. One of the researchers in the video above commented:

… it would have been incredibly scary.

The study’s authors have named this catastrophic time period the Adams Transitional Geomagnetic Event, or Adams Event, a reference to a trope created by Douglas Adams, author of the comedy science fiction series The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. Adams famously wrote that 42 was the answer to:life, the universe and everything.

The University of New South Wales (UNSW) Sydney, and the South Australian Museum co-led the study, which was published on February 19, 2021, in the peer-reviewed journal Science. As Chris Turney of UNSW – a study co-author – explained in a statement: Earth’s magnetic field dropped to only 0 to 6% strength during the Adams Event. We essentially had no magnetic field at all. Our cosmic radiation shield was totally gone.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

mossy just thought it was a fireworks display

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      mossy just thought it was a fireworks display

Moss will survive the next polar switch.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Moss will survive the next polar switch.
        Mossy was the cause of the last one!

Comment

Y'all have said my name 3 times.

Give me your souls!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Give me your souls!
            What are you going to do with them?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

What are you going to do with them?
              That's for me to know and you to find out.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Give me your souls!
                Pffft. It's a well known fact that pirates don't have souls to give.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

SR19.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Pegleg's ain't got no shoes

Comment

Pegleg's ain't got no shoes
                      I have one. Don't need that other one!

Comment

I read the paper. Do not believe the hype. The research team basically listed everything that happened roughly 42,000 years ago, whether there was a plausible mechanism to connect it to the pole reversal or not.
                        "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Here's a critical take on it from a leading climate scientist.
                          http://www.realclimate.org/index.php...ing-at-the-bit

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                            I read the paper. Do not believe the hype. The research team basically listed everything that happened roughly 42,000 years ago, whether there was a plausible mechanism to connect it to the pole reversal or not.
                            Something along these lines seems to surface every decade or so.

Comment

Something along these lines seems to surface every decade or so.
                              You see it a lot with the global mass extinctions. They're spread out in history enough so that people want to think there's a pattern to them, but when you look more carefully, they're not actually evenly spaced, and we know the causes were different things (volcanoes and an asteroid) in two of the cases. So, really, they just seem to be random chance that doesn't come along too often. But every few years (as you say) someone convinces themselves they've found something that everyone else missed.

Comment