Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

New brain wiring needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    No, it's not misrepresenting evolution, it's saying "let's give evolution full credit for being able to develop wings."
    Yes, while doing exactly what Cow Poke said you're doing - misrepresenting the gradual process by which wings evolved.

But an almost-wing is not useful for flying, so selection would be for different capacities.
    Wrong. Simply wrong.

A wing that's able to glide will subject to some of the same selective pressures that a wing that can fly would be.

And, as numerous examples of gliding animals, with and without wings, have been presented in this thread now, so you have no excuse for not acknowledging it. Other than you're so in love with your ideas that you can't see past them, or, as Rogue suggests, you're just a troll.

But humans don't rely on instinct as much as birds do..
    And here we have the typical Lee behavior when his arguments don't have any supporting evidence: make something up. Lee doesn't know this, because nobody really knows this. It's still an area of active research and debate.

But Lee thinks it'll support his argument, so he'll say it and then hope to be able to find evidence for it later. We've seen it time and time again, and it's incredibly dishonest.

No, I would agree that learning to stand upright is part of learning to walk. And both of these seem to be partially instinctual in toddlers.
    So, learning to stand upright is part of learning to walk, but learning to flap wings is not part of learning to fly?

You'll say anything, no matter how nonsensical, in order to pursue an argument won't you?
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
      Not enough facepalms for all Lee's failures.
      Also, seriously quite squirrel.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post

Also, seriously quite squirrel.
        That was supposed to be cute.

I think my typos are getting worse.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
          That was supposed to be cute.

I think my typos are getting worse.
          FYI. Never use squirrels or squirrely as a pejorative when I'm around. Members of the dauntless Ninja Squirrel Assassins (NSA) often see them as well and won't hesitate to send out a squad to swap your big toes around while you sleep. Keep in mind, they work very closely with Squirrel Girl who has bested both Thanos and Galactus.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            FYI. Never use squirrels or squirrely as a pejorative when I'm around. Members of the dauntless Ninja Squirrel Assassins (NSA) often see them as well and won't hesitate to send out a squad to swap your big toes around while you sleep. Keep in mind, they work very closely with Squirrel Girl who has bested both Thanos and Galactus.
            Secret Squirrel > Squirrel Girl
            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Secret Squirrel > Squirrel Girl
              The actual Secret Squirrel was a member of the NSA way back when and they enjoy watching the heavily fictionalized accounts of his exploits during their off time while enjoying the occasional Hickory Nut Ale. Morocco Mole is entirely a made up character.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The actual Secret Squirrel was a member of the NSA way back when and they enjoy watching the heavily fictionalized accounts of his exploits during their off time while enjoying the occasional Hickory Nut Ale. Morocco Mole is entirely a made up character.
                So the NSA doesn't collaborate with the Directorate of Mole Intelligence, 6th Division (MI6)?
                P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

I am the only person i know who has been struck by a falling squirrel.

To be clear: it was not a flying squirrel. It just fell off a roof.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

So the NSA doesn't collaborate with the Directorate of Mole Intelligence, 6th Division (MI6)?
                    The Ninja Squirrel Assassins never "collaborate" with anyone although that doesn't mean they won't work with them.

And the character Morocco Mole was completely fictional. Please note that MI6 didn't officially exist until the mid 1990s and "Secret Squirrel" (real name Chxtiik Tekkix-ti) was active in the 1950s with his exploits being fictionalized during the mid 1960s.

Comment

https://web.archive.org/web/20130727...assassins.com/

If you're curious about context, in the TV series Psych there was a gag where a character made that website, and they put it on the web in real life. (eventually got taken down, though, hence the archive)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill
                        Well, you need basically full wings to glide.
                        Well, I don't mean that only wings enable gliding...
                        I meant you can't glide with limbs that are developing into wings, but aren't there yet.
                        I see. So you meant that only full wings enable gliding, but didn't mean that only wings enable gliding.

You meant that you can't glide with things that aren't wings (yet), but you can glide with things that aren't wings (yet).

Of course you're completely wrong about not being able to glide without basically full wings, as demonstrated by flying squirrels, phalaropes, flying fish, flying snakes, gliding frogs and many other animals, but you're sticking to that incorrect view anyway.

Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.
                        MM on climate change: Looking at the historical temperature data in my region over the past ten years shows that temperatures have been stable ...

mikewhitney: What if the speed of light changed when light is passing through water? ... I have 3 semesters of college Physics.

Comment

I meant you can't glide with limbs that are developing into wings, but aren't there yet.

Blessings,
                          Lee
                          Many species of pre-avian dinosaurs were gliders with feathers.
                          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Many species of pre-avian dinosaurs were gliders with feathers.
                            With varying degrees of success at it.

Comment

But flying is much more complex, to take off, you have to jump and flap vigorously...
                              Not necessarily. You could climb a tree to gain height and then jump off. Proto-wings could help you glide to the next tree without having to come down to the ground, thus avoiding all those nasty ground based predators.

Comment

Originally posted by rossum View Post

Not necessarily. You could climb a tree to gain height and then jump off. Proto-wings could help you glide to the next tree without having to come down to the ground, thus avoiding all those nasty ground based predators.
                                They seem to be primarily used to escape threats in the tree they're in, like snakes.

Comment