Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

New brain wiring needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New brain wiring needed

Providing wings for a bird doesn't give it the ability to fly! Brain wiring is needed, in addition to the wings.

Source: MindMatters News

Materialist thinkers contend that every feature of brain, mind, and consciousness arose via cause-effect physics and chemistry accounted for by neo-Darwinism. In that case, they first need to explain how biological software is created and stored in animals, and then how such software can be mutated by accident just in time to operate new biological hardware.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Providing wings for a bird doesn't give it the ability to fly! Brain wiring is needed, in addition to the wings.

Source: MindMatters News

Materialist thinkers contend that every feature of brain, mind, and consciousness arose via cause-effect physics and chemistry accounted for by neo-Darwinism. In that case, they first need to explain how biological software is created and stored in animals, and then how such software can be mutated by accident just in time to operate new biological hardware.

Source

And stupidity this grand hurts my brain wiring.

Wings don't just appear. They're derived from limbs, which the brain already had the structures in place to control. And limbs were derived from lateral fins, and the lateral fins involved the redeployment same gene and nerve networks used to control centerline fins....

Where do you fund such utter garbage? And why do you wish to inflict it on innocent parties like us?
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
      And stupidity this grand hurts my brain wiring.

Wings don't just appear. They're derived from limbs, which the brain already had the structures in place to control. And limbs were derived from lateral fins, and the lateral fins involved the redeployment same gene and nerve networks used to control centerline fins....

Where do you fund such utter garbage? And why do you wish to inflict it on innocent parties like us?
      The source is part of the Discover Institute. I did find it funny that the argument rested on just one day giving a reptile wings all of a sudden, because that's obviously how evolution works. Magically over night, a single mutation event drastically changes an organism.
      P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

And the control of limbs does not provide the needed function for flying! Or landing, which requires a stall, or turning, which requires banking.

Blessings,
        Lee
        "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
          Magically over night, a single mutation event drastically changes an organism.
          No, they're saying let's say they're given wings, the creature still cannot fly. Not that evolution can give wings to a creature overnight.

Blessings,
          Lee

Comment

No, they're saying let's say they're given wings, the creature still cannot fly. Not that evolution can give wings to a creature overnight.

Blessings,
            Lee

So the analogy provided doesn't reflect evolution which would mean it's a false analogy.
            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

That's equally stupid, as it assumes that the brain didn't involve in parallel to traits like increasing feathers, etc.

It also assumes that the brain isn't plastic enough to adapt to an altered limb functionality, which we've seen happen countless times. It's the equivalent of saying a three-legged dog could never walk.

You're piling idiocy on top of stupidity. Just apologize for posting this and ask for the thread to be locked.

Comment

So the analogy provided doesn't reflect evolution which would mean it's a false analogy.
                Well, no, it's saying if evolution could produce a wing, more would be needed.

Blessings,
                Lee

Comment

That's equally stupid, as it assumes that the brain didn't involve in parallel to traits like increasing feathers, etc.
                  But evolving the ability of flight would not be useful until the wings were developed.

It also assumes that the brain isn't plastic enough to adapt to an altered limb functionality, which we've seen happen countless times. It's the equivalent of saying a three-legged dog could never walk.
                  But flying is much more complex, to take off, you have to jump and flap vigorously, to land, you have to stall, to turn, you have to bank. This needs to be basically instinctual, surely birds do not learn all this from scratch, every time they are born.

Blessings,
                  Lee

Comment

But evolving the ability of flight would not be useful until the wings were developed.
                    But evolving the ability to control wing-like limbs is useful.

But flying is much more complex, to take off, you have to jump and flap vigorously, to land, you have to stall, to turn, you have to bank. This needs to be basically instinctual, surely birds do not learn all this from scratch, every time they are born.
                    What do you base that claim on other than your personal intuitions?

It's irrelevant to the actual argument, but i just get frustrated how often you say things that are just what you believe with no facts to back it up, as if we should all find your personal beliefs compelling as an argument.

Comment

Well, no, it's saying if evolution could produce a wing, more would be needed.

Blessings,
                      Lee
                      Why wouldn't the ability to use a wing evolve in tandem with the evolution of a wing? The analogy is trying to make it a chicken-egg situation and the only way for it to do that is for wing to appear with no gradual development. It would be like putting developed limbs onto a fish and declare that the limbs are of no use to the fish as the fish can't operate fully developed limbs. It's a strawman.
                      P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

But evolving the ability to control wing-like limbs is useful.
                        How so? Is this just what you believe with no facts to back it up? And controlling wing-like limbs would not be the same as flying, they would be essentially decorative appendages, until fully developed into wings.

What do you base that claim on other than your personal intuitions?
                        Well, we don't see baby birds being taught how to fly, their mom just pushes them out of the nest, as I have heard.

Blessings,
                        Lee

Comment

Why wouldn't the ability to use a wing evolve in tandem with the evolution of a wing?
                          Because a wing needs to be fully developed before flying would be selected for.

Blessings,
                          Lee

Comment

A description of birds learning to fly...

Source: Wise Geek

Birds learn how to fly much like a human toddler learns to walk: a combination of instinct and practice. ...

All of this practice time, awkward as it may seem, does teach the fledgling about the mechanics of flight. Falls to the ground become more controlled as the young bird stretches out its wings, and short hops back to the nest become longer flights. Bird parents continue to encourage their brood to leave the nest for longer periods of time. Some species actually adopt a tough love policy, leaving the fledglings alone to develop their own instincts.

Source

Blessings,
                            Lee

Comment

How so? Is this just what you believe with no facts to back it up? And controlling wing-like limbs would not be the same as flying, they would be essentially decorative appendages, until fully developed into wings.
                              Seriously, you can't be this stupid, can you?

Gliding, Lee. There's this thing called gliding. In fact, for a number of fossil species, there's an ongoing debate regarding whether the anatomy enables active flight or only gliding.

Proto-wings have also been shown to enable rapid acceleration for running, and would aid in protecting young while nesting, etc. This is something actual biologists have looked at, modeled, argued about, etc. - it's not some grand secret. Just because the imbeciles you quote can't be bothered to look into something before posting, it doesn't mean you shouldn't.

Be better than they are.

Well, we don't see baby birds being taught how to fly, their mom just pushes them out of the nest, as I have heard.
                              You've heard wrong, then. Young hawks (the ones i've watched fledge) spend weeks standing in their nest and flapping their wings before attempting to fly.

Comment