Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

A global assessment of atoll island planform changes over the past decades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A global assessment of atoll island planform changes over the past decades

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/wcc.557

Abstract

Over the past decades, atoll islands exhibited no widespread sign of physical destabilization in the face of sea‐level rise. A reanalysis of available data, which cover 30 Pacific and Indian Ocean atolls including 709 islands, reveals that no atoll lost land area and that 88.6% of islands were either stable or increased in area, while only 11.4% contracted. Atoll islands affected by rapid sea‐level rise did not show a distinct behavior compared to islands on other atolls. Island behavior correlated with island size, and no island larger than 10 ha decreased in size. This threshold could be used to define the minimum island size required for human occupancy and to assess atoll countries and territories' vulnerability to climate change. Beyond emphasizing the major role of climate drivers in causing substantial changes in the configuration of islands, this reanalysis of available data indicates that these drivers explain subregional variations in atoll behavior and within‐atoll variations in island and shoreline (lagoon vs. ocean) behavior, following atoll‐specific patterns. Increasing human disturbances, especially land reclamation and human structure construction, operated on atoll‐to‐shoreline spatial scales, explaining marked within‐atoll variations in island and shoreline behavior. Collectively, these findings highlight the heterogeneity of atoll situations. Further research needs include addressing geographical gaps (Indian Ocean, Caribbean, north‐western Pacific atolls), using standardized protocols to allow comparative analyses of island and shoreline behavior across ocean regions, investigating the role of ecological drivers, and promoting interdisciplinary approaches. Such efforts would assist in anticipating potential future changes in the contributions and interactions of key drivers.
    This article is categorized under:
    • Assessing Impacts of Climate Change > Observed Impacts of Climate Change
    • Paleoclimates and Current Trends > Earth System Behavior

Decadal change in island land area for 709 Pacific and Indian Ocean atolls islands.

The amplitude and direction of change vary with island size. Importantly, none of the islands larger than 10 ha underwent a reduction in size. N.B.: The blue dotted lines correspond to the ±3% threshold. Twenty islands are excluded from this graph, i.e. seventeen islands >200 ha (7 islands from French Polynesia, 3 from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, 2 from Kiribati, 4 from Tuvalu and 1 from the Maldives) and three islands exhibiting extreme (falling between 125.5% and −23.2%) values of change (1 from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, 1 from the Maldives and 1 from Tuvalu).

That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

I have seen this before and other studies. Yes lager islands are not significantly impacted by global warming. One of the reasons is reef growth to a certain extent limits the impact of sea level rise and protects islands even smaller islands.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      I have seen this before and other studies. Yes lager islands are not significantly impacted by global warming. One of the reasons is reef growth to a certain extent limits the impact of sea level rise and protects islands even smaller islands.
      Having been stationed on Diego Garcia in the Chagos Archipelago several years ago, this study piqued my interest on how the island has fared since I left there in 2001. It was actually quite a beautiful atoll. Isolated, yes, but the beaches were choice!
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Back around 1990 we were told that the Maldives would be submerged in 30 years. Now 30 years later they're still saying it'll be underwater in about 30 years, although one estimate calculates that roughly three-quarters of it will be submerged in 2100.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Have you found a copy of the full paper anywhere? I'm curious as to the source of the data, but not curious enough to pay for it.

It also sounds like there's a complicated mix of shrinking small islands, stable large ones, and a while bunch of outliers, some of them growing due to human-engineered expansions. But i'd like to look beyond the abstract to understand more.
          "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
            Have you found a copy of the full paper anywhere? I'm curious as to the source of the data, but not curious enough to pay for it.

It also sounds like there's a complicated mix of shrinking small islands, stable large ones, and a while bunch of outliers, some of them growing due to human-engineered expansions. But i'd like to look beyond the abstract to understand more.
            The only thing I see is the pdf of the raw data under "Supporting Information". ResearchGate will allow you to request the full text if you are a researcher or academic:

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...e_past_decades

Last edited by Bill the Cat; 02-08-2021, 01:20 PM.
            That's what
            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

Having been stationed on Diego Garcia in the Chagos Archipelago several years ago, this study piqued my interest on how the island has fared since I left there in 2001. It was actually quite a beautiful atoll. Isolated, yes, but the beaches were choice!
              Wow -- I was there -- way back in... 1973, if I recall!!!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

The only thing I see is the pdf of the raw data under "Supporting Information". ResearchGate will allow you to request the full text if you are a researcher or academic.
                Sadly, i'm not. The supplemental data does give a good sense of how far back these records go (a few decades, in most cases), but not how they were obtained. The time scales suggest some of it might just be the start of the satellite era.

In any case, it's an interesting topic. We know sea level's going up, and we have some sense of the processes that control island landmass (erosion and storms vs. deposition by waves and, dust, plus any organic materials from plant life. How those balance out will be very dependent upon local conditions, and the balance will obviously change if sea level rise continues to accelerate, which it's likely to do.

Curious to read the paper, since this is a topic i've not followed closely - shame it's not available. Also wondering why they chose +/- 3% for the graph. Most fields use +/-5% as the cutoff for statistical significance. Don't know whether this field uses different standards, or there's something specific about the data that makes that the appropriate measure.
                "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                  Sadly, i'm not. The supplemental data does give a good sense of how far back these records go (a few decades, in most cases), but not how they were obtained. The time scales suggest some of it might just be the start of the satellite era.

In any case, it's an interesting topic. We know sea level's going up, and we have some sense of the processes that control island landmass (erosion and storms vs. deposition by waves and, dust, plus any organic materials from plant life. How those balance out will be very dependent upon local conditions, and the balance will obviously change if sea level rise continues to accelerate, which it's likely to do.

Curious to read the paper, since this is a topic i've not followed closely - shame it's not available. Also wondering why they chose +/- 3% for the graph. Most fields use +/-5% as the cutoff for statistical significance. Don't know whether this field uses different standards, or there's something specific about the data that makes that the appropriate measure.
                  Maybe you could get Juvenal to help? He's an academic IIRC.
                  Last edited by Bill the Cat; 02-09-2021, 09:43 AM.
                  That's what
                  - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment