Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Good and bad news on the climate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Indeed. They have them in Minnesota (where they call them biting gnats) which we vacationed in during the summer months. They and the mosquitos were so bad that when the trucks spraying DDT would come through I would deliberately stand in the clouds holding my breath with both arms stretched out to either side. Anything to keep from being consumed by them.

I always wondered why many of the mosquito bites I got there would be hot to the touch and itch like crazy for a couple of days, whereas the ones I'd get in Maryland or Georgia only itched for a few hours. Only recently I discovered those were the black fly bites.
    I wonder if those are the same as or as bad as the horse flies we have in Texas -- those things STING.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I wonder if those are the same as or as bad as the horse flies we have in Texas -- those things STING.
      No, horse flies are bad, but they hurt and it's over. Let me explain why black/sand flies are evil.

Their bite hurts like a horse fly's.
      Their bit itches like a mosquito's afterwards.
      They're the size of fruit flies, so very fast and maneuverable.
      They are really robust, and don't self-destruct when slapped like a mosquito. If your slap gets one, you have to hold them against your skin and roll them around a bit to make sure you actually destroy them.

They were almost enough to ruin New Zealand for me.
      "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
        No, horse flies are bad, but they hurt and it's over. Let me explain why black/sand flies are evil.
        This is true - I'm thinking about quantity, not quality.

Their bite hurts like a horse fly's.
        Their bit itches like a mosquito's afterwards.
        They're the size of fruit flies, so very fast and maneuverable.
        They are really robust, and don't self-destruct when slapped like a mosquito. If your slap gets one, you have to hold them against your skin and roll them around a bit to make sure you actually destroy them.

They were almost enough to ruin New Zealand for me.
        And, then, there are these Texas sized SCORPIONS.....

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

scorpion.jpg
          When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Sherman View Post
            Today is a blizzard for me. Global Warming anyone....anyone?
            Warmest and wettest winter on record for North Carolina. No snow. Actually, global warming increases the incidence of extreme storms and heavy snows in the North, and an increased incidence of droughts in others.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Thank you, sir, for that shout-out in my direction.

And, TODAY would be a great day for the wind power... supposed to be 40MPH winds from the North pretty much all day today!
              Excellent reference! I was going to post, but you beat me to it!
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Excellent reference! I was going to post, but you beat me to it!
                By nearly a WEEK!

Comment

This is true - I'm thinking about quantity, not quality.

And, then, there are these Texas sized SCORPIONS.....
                  When I used to be in sales for one of the big pest control companies, I never once was able to get anyone from Texas to sign up that had a scorpion infestation. They just sort of smirked when the said they weren't interested.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

When I used to be in sales for one of the big pest control companies, I never once was able to get anyone from Texas to sign up that had a scorpion infestation. They just sort of smirked when the said they weren't interested.
                    We once lived in a home whose back yard backed up to a cemetery. Apparently, scorpions love such places where there's little activity, and they also apparently enjoyed wandering into our house more often than my wife preferred.

When the bug man was at our house spraying for the usual suspects, I asked him, "by the way, what's good for killing scorpions"?

In all seriousness, he replied, "oh, a hammer, a shoe...."

I really hadn't planned on getting that close.

Comment

We once lived in a home whose back yard backed up to a cemetery. Apparently, scorpions love such places where there's little activity, and they also apparently enjoyed wandering into our house more often than my wife preferred.

When the bug man was at our house spraying for the usual suspects, I asked him, "by the way, what's good for killing scorpions"?

In all seriousness, he replied, "oh, a hammer, a shoe...."

I really hadn't planned on getting that close.
                      image_13778.gifXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX image_13778.gif

The one Texan's reaction I remember the most (there were only 3 or 4) was after I found the scorpions in their closet in some of his boots (they were coming up from the basement). He just said he learned as a young'un to always turn his boots upside down and give them a firm shaking before putting them on.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

image_13778.gifXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX image_13778.gif

The one Texan's reaction I remember the most (there were only 3 or 4) was after I found the scorpions in their closet in some of his boots (they were coming up from the basement). He just said he learned as a young'un to always turn his boots upside down and give them a firm shaking before putting them on.
                        Yup..... I have a pair of work boots that I leave on the back porch, and NEVER put them on without tumping them out.

The son of one of our deacons was at a swim party at our house - he left his swim shorts on the back porch when they came in for supper, and was going for a swim afterwards. He pulled up his swim shorts and let out the most bloodcurling scream, and I thought .... oh boy, I know what THAT was!

Comment

Since my climate thread is now apparently a scorpion thread, i'll just leave this here....

Inflammation caused by scorpion venom should be blocked immediately, study shows

Comment

Since my climate thread is now apparently a scorpion thread, i'll just leave this here....

Inflammation caused by scorpion venom should be blocked immediately, study shows

We loves ya, ya know!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

We loves ya, ya know!
                              Wasn't a complaint. "Let he who has never derailed a thread cast the first stone", isn't it?

Comment

Wasn't a complaint. "Let he who has never derailed a thread cast the first stone", isn't it?

I know it wasn't a complaint.

We loves ya, anyways!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment