Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Fossil discovery helps bridge gap between Ediacaran animals & those from the Cambrian

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Well, you all are smarter than I am, then. But I still hold that it is unreasonable to expect evolution to get 47 amino acids difference on average, to get to another interaction.

    Blessings,
    Lee
    As my 5th grade teacher, Mrs. Goldberg, used to say, it isn't stupid, it's ignorance. The latter can be fixed. All you need to do is bother to try to learn some of this before pontificating on a subject. You're an intelligent man. It's just, for whatever reason, it appears anathema to you to ever pick up a book on basic biology.

    Per Ahlberg, the Swedish palaeontologist, who may have even posted here a couple of times well before The Crash™, has a maxim that is relevant here: "First understand, then criticize; not the other way round!"


    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

    Comment


    • Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      As my 5th grade teacher, Mrs. Goldberg, used to say, it isn't stupid, it's ignorance. The latter can be fixed. All you need to do is bother to try to learn some of this before pontificating on a subject.
      That last bit, about pontification, to me indicates that this is well beyond ignorance. There's an immense arrogance involved in repeatedly finding yourself getting basic stuff wrong, and still feeling that you know more than the scientific community, and your knowledge is so complete that you never have to bother looking anything up before you post.

      Ignorance i'm fine with. The arrogance of it astonishes me.
      "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

      Comment


      • Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
        That last bit, about pontification, to me indicates that this is well beyond ignorance. There's an immense arrogance involved in repeatedly finding yourself getting basic stuff wrong, and still feeling that you know more than the scientific community, and your knowledge is so complete that you never have to bother looking anything up before you post.

        Ignorance i'm fine with. The arrogance of it astonishes me.
        Which is why in the lungfish genome thread I posted
        Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
        That is simply not true, and I advance their arguments here, and they hold up pretty well.

        The truly scary thing here is I'm sure you believe that's true. Sort of like the Black Knight in Monty Python's in Search of the Holy Grail, who insisted he was still winning even has he kept getting his limbs lopped off

        In case you aren't familiar with the reference.

        I should note that the word for an illegitimate child is used twice




        For someone who has repeatedly revealed that you don't possess the barest minimal understanding of even the most fundamental principles of basic biology the only thing left to say is that what you do have is a pretty bad case of Dunning–Kruger syndrome.

        I'm always still in trouble again

        "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

        Comment


        • Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
          Nobody's saying it had to. You're arguing against a straw man of your own making, not an argument anyone here has made.
          Well, I'm saying the average sequence is going to be 47 differences away from any given sequence. So to get between interactions, starting from any given point, about 47 changes would be needed to duplicate this study. I conclude that's unrealistic, that's a very long path for evolution to traverse, and it would be surprising indeed if it's all selectable.

          Blessings,
          Lee
          "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

          Comment


          • Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
            Well, I'm saying the average sequence is going to be 47 differences away from any given sequence. So to get between interactions, starting from any given point, about 47 changes would be needed to duplicate this study. I conclude that's unrealistic, that's a very long path for evolution to traverse, and it would be surprising indeed if it's all selectable.
            That's completely false. There is no way of telling how many changes need to be made in order to create an interaction.
            "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

            Comment


            • Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
              That's completely false. There is no way of telling how many changes need to be made in order to create an interaction.
              For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest


              sarcasm.gif B-b-but, he's been showing what a masterful grasp of simple math and basic biology he possesses sarcasm.gif



              I'm always still in trouble again

              "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

              Comment


              • Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                That's completely false. There is no way of telling how many changes need to be made in order to create an interaction.
                To duplicate this study! I'm saying this study is unrealistic.

                Blessings,
                Lee
                "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

                Comment


                • Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                  To duplicate this study! I'm saying this study is unrealistic.
                  You're saying that something that we know happened here in reality is unrealistic?
                  "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                    You're saying that something that we know happened here in reality is unrealistic?
                    Yes, because it was done in a laboratory, not everything (you must know this) that is done in a laboratory is realistic to expect in nature.

                    Blessings,
                    Lee
                    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                      Yes, because it was done in a laboratory, not everything (you must know this) that is done in a laboratory is realistic to expect in nature.
                      You're basically announcing that you won't accept empirical evidence when it's inconvenient for your argument.

                      Why not just admit you hate science and just go post in some other sections on the site?
                      "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                        You're basically announcing that you won't accept empirical evidence when it's inconvenient for your argument.
                        No, I'm saying that their scenario is unrealistic.

                        Blessings,
                        Lee
                        "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                          No, I'm saying that their scenario is unrealistic.
                          You mean the scenario where i gave you a reference showing it had happened a half-dozen times in a single speciation event?

                          Yeah, completely unrealistic.
                          "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                            You mean the scenario where i gave you a reference showing it had happened a half-dozen times in a single speciation event?

                            Yeah, completely unrealistic.
                            Not to mention that personal incredulousness is not a valid objection.

                            I'm always still in trouble again

                            "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                              You mean the scenario where i gave you a reference showing it had happened a half-dozen times in a single speciation event?
                              What, 47 mostly-selectable mutations six times?! I don't think anybody has that documented.

                              Blessings,
                              Lee
                              "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                                Also, you don't need a script. There are 20 amino acids. The chance at random of matching 1 of them is 1 in 20. 50 divided by 20 is 2.5. 50 minus 2.5 is, rounded off, 47.

                                It really is that simple, which is why Rogue and I have been stunned that you got it wrong.
                                Ah, but without the script we'd not have known that Lee is almost as bad at programming as he is at maths and biology.
                                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

                                mikewhitney: What if the speed of light changed when light is passing through water? ... I have 3 semesters of college Physics.

                                Mountain Man: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                                Mountain Man: Ö this is how liberals argue these days, with labels instead of ideas.

                                Comment

                                Related Threads

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by rossum, 03-06-2021, 10:10 AM
                                14 responses
                                66 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post lee_merrill  
                                Started by lee_merrill, 03-05-2021, 03:57 PM
                                13 responses
                                57 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post TheLurch  
                                Started by rogue06, 03-01-2021, 02:10 PM
                                0 responses
                                26 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post rogue06
                                by rogue06
                                 
                                Started by lee_merrill, 02-24-2021, 08:33 PM
                                4 responses
                                42 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post shunyadragon  
                                Started by rogue06, 02-24-2021, 11:11 AM
                                40 responses
                                237 views
                                3 likes
                                Last Post rogue06
                                by rogue06
                                 
                                Working...
                                X