Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Of mice and Michael

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of mice and Michael

Larry Moran replies to Michael Behe's new book, "A Mousetrap for Darwin"...

Source: Larry Moran

I do not deny that the observed routes to chloroquine resistance were highly improbable (10-20) but I account for this low probabilty by trusting the results of Summers et al. (2014) who showed that four separate mutations were required for effective chloroquine resistance and the mutations had to occur in a particular order. In addition, there are several other factors that contribute to the low overall probability; the most important is the demonstration that the particular combination of mutations are probably the only possible routes to resistance.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

But Summers et al. says "We found that two main lineages of mutational routes lead to chloroquine transport via the chloroquine resistance transporter (PfCRT) and that a low level of chloroquine transport is conferred by as few as two mutations." So Behe seems to be right with specifying two mutations as giving chloroquine resistance.

But let's say Moran is right! So then the edge of evolution moves to 8 mutations? Or four new protein-protein interactions? This would seem not to solve the problem, that evolution is limited.

... lots of spurious protein-protein interactions are already present inside the cell.

Well, that's fine, but Behe is interested in new interactions, as in ones not based on already-existing mutations.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Larry Moran replies to Michael Behe's new book, "A Mousetrap for Darwin"...

I do not deny that the observed routes to chloroquine resistance were highly improbable (10-20) but I account for this low probabilty by trusting the results of Summers et al. (2014) who showed that four separate mutations were required for effective chloroquine resistance and the mutations had to occur in a particular order. In addition, there are several other factors that contribute to the low overall probability; the most important is the demonstration that the particular combination of mutations are probably the only possible routes to resistance.

Source

But Summers et al. says "We found that two main lineages of mutational routes lead to chloroquine transport via the chloroquine resistance transporter (PfCRT) and that a low level of chloroquine transport is conferred by as few as two mutations." So Behe seems to be right with specifying two mutations as giving chloroquine resistance.

But let's say Moran is right! So then the edge of evolution moves to 8 mutations? Or four new protein-protein interactions? This would seem not to solve the problem, that evolution is limited.

... lots of spurious protein-protein interactions are already present inside the cell.

Well, that's fine, but Behe is interested in new interactions, as in ones not based on already-existing mutations.

Blessings,
    Lee
    Hu?!?!?!?!
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Bumping this thread...
      "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment