Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The size of the universe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The size of the universe?

93 billion light years!

Source: Astronomy

... the distances across the Milky Way Galaxy and certainly between galaxies in the universe are astonishingly huge to living beings stuck on a planet. A model of the Milky Way wherein the Sun is a grain of sand brings this home. On this scale, stars — sand grains — are 4 miles (6 kilometers) apart in the Milky Way’s disk and the disk is about 40,000 miles (60,000km) across. Now who wants to go traveling from grain to grain?

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    93 billion light years!

Source: Astronomy

... the distances across the Milky Way Galaxy and certainly between galaxies in the universe are astonishingly huge to living beings stuck on a planet. A model of the Milky Way wherein the Sun is a grain of sand brings this home. On this scale, stars — sand grains — are 4 miles (6 kilometers) apart in the Milky Way’s disk and the disk is about 40,000 miles (60,000km) across. Now who wants to go traveling from grain to grain?

Source

Blessings,
    Lee
    Interesting! I have seen this, and it is worth another look.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

In a previous thread I cited an article that concluded that the universe has rotational component in its history, and other sources have concluded that the universe is kind of flat. This all sounds like a galaxy 93 billion light years across.
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        In a previous thread I cited an article that concluded that the universe has rotational component in its history, and other sources have concluded that the universe is kind of flat.
        Interesting, I would have thought it was rather round.

This all sounds like a galaxy 93 billion light years across.
        And the universe is only 13.8 billion years old! So expanding at the speed of light would give a diameter of only 27.6 billion light years.

Blessings,
        Lee
        "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Interesting, I would have thought it was rather round.

And the universe is only 13.8 billion years old! So expanding at the speed of light would give a diameter of only 27.6 billion light years.

Blessings,
          Lee
          There are, of course, many unknowns that are resolved concerning the history of our universe, but . . .

Source: https://bigthink.com/dr-kakus-universe/what-travels-faster-than-the-speed-of-light

1. The Big Bang itself expanded much faster than the speed of light. But this only means that "nothing can go faster than light." Since nothing is just empty space or vacuum, it can expand faster than light speed since no material object is breaking the light barrier. Therefore, empty space can certainly expand faster than light.

This is a general source, and I may post another.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-05-2020, 04:10 PM.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

There are, of course, many unknowns that are resolved concerning the history of our universe, but . . .

Source: https://bigthink.com/dr-kakus-universe/what-travels-faster-than-the-speed-of-light

1. The Big Bang itself expanded much faster than the speed of light. But this only means that "nothing can go faster than light." Since nothing is just empty space or vacuum, it can expand faster than light speed since no material object is breaking the light barrier. Therefore, empty space can certainly expand faster than light.

But the universe is matter and energy! Not nothing. And as I understand it, space expanded for a brief period of time during inflation, and then this expansion of space stopped.

Blessings,
            Lee

Comment

But the universe is matter and energy! Not nothing. And as I understand it, space expanded for a brief period of time during inflation, and then this expansion of space stopped.

Blessings,
              Lee
              It is hard to argue with the present academic knowledge of Physics. I have looked at a few sources, and I am looking for one that gives a good layman explanation, This is basic cosmology physics.

It is not matter that is in the expanding faster than the speed of light, but the Quantum Space that the matter formed from, particularly in the early history of the universe of the very rapid expansion.,

Frank

Comment

Blessings,
                Lee
                This is from another source that stretches past basic knowledge of Physics and Cosmology:
                Source: http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/about-us/104-the-universe/cosmology-and-the-big-bang/expansion-of-the-universe/627-could-the-universe-have-expanded-faster-than-the-speed-of-light-at-the-big-bang-intermediate

When you read about cosmology, you might have read about the cosmic microwave background (CMB). Before the CMB originated, the universe was opaque to light. So, we can never see beyond the CMB, and due to this, we can never see to the instant of the Big Bang. Consequently, there is no direct way of telling whether the expansion was at sometime faster than the speed of light. But there are several indirect pieces of evidence which can tell you about the early universe.

But first, let me tell you as to what would happen if at some instant, the universe did expand faster than the speed of light. In this case, as you have pointed out, the horizon distance will be the point at which the expansion was just at the speed of light; what you have called as the "end of our horizon".

So, if the universe never expanded faster than the speed of light, then we could see to the Big Bang, were it not for the CMB which blocks off light before that epoch. But, if at some point it DID expand faster than the speed of light, we will see to the "end of our horizon".

There are a few problems with standard Big Bang cosmology, which can be solved by "inflation" (an exponential expansion of the universe, which will be faster than the speed of light). The problems with standard cosmology are (a) the flatness problem (b) the horizon problem and (c) the origin of density fluctuations (which grew to galaxies and stars today).
                . . . .

Inflationary cosmology solves these problems in the following way: in the early phase of the universe, it went through a phase called inflation, during which period, the universe expanded by a factor of more than 1050 in a time-scale of less than 10-30 seconds. So, there is some evidence that the universe DID undergo a period of expansion faster than the speed of light. But as you can see, the evidence is quite indirect and not something that we can directly see.

Actually it is not an absolute that 'nothing' can happen faster than the speed of light.
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-05-2020, 05:01 PM.

Frank

Comment

Blessings,
                  Lee
                  No, the expansion of space is ongoing - it's just slowed dramatically since inflation.

Anyway, the article doesn't make clear what the figure it mentions for the universe's size is based on, so it's tough to evaluate it.
                  "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

A BBC article from 2016 that somewhat explains how it's size is calculated: It took centuries, but we now know the size of the universe

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      A BBC article from 2016 that somewhat explains how it's size is calculated: It took centuries, but we now know the size of the universe
                      Ah, thank you for that - makes a lot moore sense.
                      "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                        No, the expansion of space is ongoing - it's just slowed dramatically since inflation.
                        Dark energy! I forgot about that.

Blessings,
                        Lee

Comment