Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

New genes required for the Cambrian explosion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
    The entirety of his post, if you bothered to read it, indicates that Behe requires effectively simultaneous mutations, because he discounts the possibility of the pre-existence of mutations that are drifting in the population. So, while he acknowledges that Behe doesn't require the mutations to appear at the same instance, his probability calculations are indistinguishable from those that involve having the mutations be simultaneous.
    No, Behe does not discount the pre-existence of mutations, his calculations are for new mutations. I think your view proves too much, otherwise atavaquone resistance (which required 1 mutation) would be about the same rate as chloroquine resistance. But they are not, the rate of chloroquine resistance is about the square root of atavaquone, which is what you would expect for 2 mutations for chloroquine resistance.

Again, I would ask that you move to this thread to discuss Moran's comments.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
      No, Behe does not discount the pre-existence of mutations, his calculations are for new mutations. I think your view proves too much, otherwise atavaquone resistance (which required 1 mutation) would be about the same rate as chloroquine resistance. But they are not, the rate of chloroquine resistance is about the square root of atavaquone, which is what you would expect for 2 mutations for chloroquine resistance.

Again, I would ask that you move to this thread to discuss Moran's comments.
      You can ask, but it's relevant here, because this isn't about the details of Moran's argument. It's about the fact that you're misrepresenting it here, in this thread. I honestly don't care about the details of why Behe is wrong here. But i do care that you've snipped a tiny piece of Moran's post out of context and used it to support something that he's arguing against.
      "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

• Well, I'll leave off here, have a blessed holiday season, everyone!
        "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
          Well, I'll leave off here, have a blessed holiday season, everyone!
          Exit stage right when you are unable to respond, again, again, and again to real science and statistics.

Look forward to you next 'Ground Dog Day.'
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Look forward to you next 'Ground Dog Day.'
            That, unfortunately, is true.

Comment

• It should be noted that Lee has finally come to realize that Behe was indeed relying upon simultaneous mutations and has retracted his claims otherwise

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment