Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Meet the zeptosecond, the shortest unit of time ever measured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet the zeptosecond, the shortest unit of time ever measured

Source: https://www.livescience.com/zeptosecond-shortest-time-unit-measured.html

By Stephanie Pappas - Live Science Contributor

A particle of light, called a photon (yellow arrow), produces electron waves out of an electron cloud (grey) of a hydrogen molecule (red: nucleus). The result of those interactions is what’s called an interference pattern (violet-white). The interference pattern is slightly skewed to the right, allowing researchers to calculate the time for the photon to get from one atom to the next.
    (Image: © Sven Grundmann/Goethe University Frankfurt)

Scientists have measured the shortest unit of time ever: the time it takes a light particle to cross a hydrogen molecule.

That time, for the record, is 247 zeptoseconds. A zeptosecond is a trillionth of a billionth of a second, or a decimal point followed by 21 zeroes and a 1. Previously, researchers had dipped into the realm of zeptoseconds; in 2016, researchers reporting in the journal Nature Physics used lasers to measure time in increments down to 850 zeptoseconds. This accuracy is a huge leap from the 1999 Nobel Prize-winning work that first measured time in femtoseconds, which are millionths of a billionths of seconds.

It takes femtoseconds for chemical bonds to break and form, but it takes zeptoseconds for light to travel across a single hydrogen molecule (H2). To measure this very short trip, physicist Reinhard Dörner of Goethe University in Germany and his colleagues shot X-rays from the PETRA III at Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron (DESY), a particle accelerator in Hamburg.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

A zeptosecond is a trillionth of a billionth of a second, or a decimal point followed by 21 zeroes and a 1.
    Twenty zeros, followed by a 1. This, yes this, is why I hate popular science reporting.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Twenty zeros, followed by a 1. This, yes this, is why I hate popular science reporting.
      Yeah! It is a problem, but going to the original source would help. I may track down the source.
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

To add: I would prefer it in scientific math notation. I do not count more that six zeros easily.

Frank

Comment

Source: https://science.sciencemag.org/content/370/6514/339

Abstract

Photoionization is one of the fundamental light-matter interaction processes in which the absorption of a photon launches the escape of an electron. The time scale of this process poses many open questions. Experiments have found time delays in the attosecond (10−18 seconds) domain between electron ejection from different orbitals, from different electronic bands, or in different directions. Here, we demonstrate that, across a molecular orbital, the electron is not launched at the same time. Rather, the birth time depends on the travel time of the photon across the molecule, which is 247 zeptoseconds (1 zeptosecond = 10−21 seconds) for the average bond length of molecular hydrogen. Using an electron interferometric technique, we resolve this birth time delay between electron emission from the two centers of the hydrogen molecule.

Frank

Comment

To add: I would prefer it in scientific math notation. I do not count more that six zeros easily.
            10^-1 = .1 has no zeros before the 1.
            10^-2 = .01 has one zero before the 1.

10^-21 has 20 zeros before the 1.

Getting the description wrong isn't what popular science writers do, it's what they are.

Comment

Source: https://www.livescience.com/zeptosecond-shortest-time-unit-measured.html

By Stephanie Pappas - Live Science Contributor

A particle of light, called a photon (yellow arrow), produces electron waves out of an electron cloud (grey) of a hydrogen molecule (red: nucleus). The result of those interactions is what’s called an interference pattern (violet-white). The interference pattern is slightly skewed to the right, allowing researchers to calculate the time for the photon to get from one atom to the next.
              (Image: © Sven Grundmann/Goethe University Frankfurt)

Scientists have measured the shortest unit of time ever: the time it takes a light particle to cross a hydrogen molecule.

That time, for the record, is 247 zeptoseconds. A zeptosecond is a trillionth of a billionth of a second, or a decimal point followed by 21 zeroes and a 1. Previously, researchers had dipped into the realm of zeptoseconds; in 2016, researchers reporting in the journal Nature Physics used lasers to measure time in increments down to 850 zeptoseconds. This accuracy is a huge leap from the 1999 Nobel Prize-winning work that first measured time in femtoseconds, which are millionths of a billionths of seconds.

It takes femtoseconds for chemical bonds to break and form, but it takes zeptoseconds for light to travel across a single hydrogen molecule (H2). To measure this very short trip, physicist Reinhard Dörner of Goethe University in Germany and his colleagues shot X-rays from the PETRA III at Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron (DESY), a particle accelerator in Hamburg.

This was used to measure how long it takes me to scarf down all the bacon on Sparko's plate when he isn't looking.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

10^-1 = .1 has no zeros before the 1.
                10^-2 = .01 has one zero before the 1.

10^-21 has 20 zeros before the 1.

Getting the description wrong isn't what popular science writers do, it's what they are.
                Da maths is of da debil.

Just ask St. Augustine.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment