Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Flat Earthism woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Earthism woes

This is a little rant about flat earthers. You are seeing me on this board today because I just punched out of two boards where flat earthism in rampant and the favored view.

A little about me. I am an Admin on a little website that I am currently helping to rebuild and we do have problems with Flat Earthers from time to time flooding the site. I tend to look the other way unless the posts are outright averts for another forum.

It takes a unique mindset to be a flat earther or other proponents of science models that do not work off of the evidence before us. There is no evidence of a flat earth. Anyone who has flown in a plane and see things popping up over the horizon indicating we live on a sphere. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. Over the last few months in my dealings with them I have found people in this movement to be capricious and difficult. When they run websites, their administration style is capricious. I have found that they may ban someone because they themselves were banned from another site over something such as spamming - revenge banning. This has happened to me twice.

What a tangled web flat earthism is. Once a person gets trapped it, it is almost impossible to get out again. Flat Earthism holds a lot in common with cults. The participants behave in many ways like cult members. They tend to think outsiders are 'satan' and are part of a grand conspiracy. So they tend to treat people outside their circle very poorly. Recently I was on the receiving end of poor treatment over things that someone else had done. As as outsider I became a scapegoat when one of them ran into trouble.

My advice: If you are a moderator on a site where a flat earther is a member and he invites to you to a board where he's a admin, decline the request. You may find yourself becoming a scapegoat when he runs afoul of the rules on your site.

Lemmings have figured it out, and they believe the world is round.

Some flat earthers consider the earth to be curved, but not round like a globe.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-06-2020, 03:10 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      Lemmings have figured it out, and they believe the world is round.
      I guess that's why they are surprised when they fall off the edge.

Some flat earthers consider the earth to be curved, but not round like a globe.
      That seems to be stretching the definition of "flat".

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
        I guess that's why they are surprised when they fall off the edge.

That seems to be stretching the definition of "flat".
        Ancient illustrations that show the earth is more like an upside birdbath..
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Was the geocentrist we had here a while back a flat earther as well?
          "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

I am fairly new to this site. But so far I haven't run into these sorts on here. Mr. Flat Earth tried to sent me another nasty message on my facebook. I ended up blocking him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherman View Post
              I am fairly new to this site. But so far I haven't run into these sorts on here. Mr. Flat Earth tried to sent me another nasty message on my facebook. I ended up blocking him.
              I believe he considered a rounded flat earth a possibility, but did not argue for it.

Frank

Comment

shunyadragon So we are talking about the same guy? This guy has two very repetitive you tube channels.

Comment

This is a little rant about flat earthers. You are seeing me on this board today because I just punched out of two boards where flat earthism in rampant and the favored view.
                  It must be a bookend to the Bigfoot and Faeries websites.

A person has to be extremely susceptible to conspiracies to go in for the flat-earth stuff.

Comment

shunyadragon So we are talking about the same guy? This guy has two very repetitive you tube channels.
                    I do not know. Here he was known as John Martin.

Frank

Comment

It could be the same guy. This fellow would flood meaningless graphics about Nasa Moon landing conspiracies, and how 'globe earth' was connected to the occult. The guy is a real head case. Oh and he believes the earth had 5000 foot giants and one time.

Comment

I think I've figured out why flat earthism has become more popular--actually, what I'm about to say applies to conspiracy theories in general, but applies especially for the idea of a flat Earth. Let's set aside the science. For the flat earth to be true, it means that basically all of the governments, all of the plane companies (at least those that operate in the Southern Hemisphere), all of the plane pilots operating in the southern hemisphere, all of the scientists in all kinds of fields, all of the GPS companies, etc. are all working in sync to keep people in the dark about the Earth being round. And they do it perfectly, with no one ever blowing the whistle on anything. You'd certainly think that, at least after retirement, some of the airplane pilots would have let it slip. But nope, the people keeping the world in the dark do such a thorough job that this never occurs.

In a world where trust in governments is frequently so low, and in which leaders are constantly seen as idiots... it must be reassuring to believe that the people in charge are actually competent! Because they'd have to be, in order to pull all of that off.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                          JohnMartin? While he presented arguments for a flat earth and against a globe earth, he insisted he was not a flat earther and was neutral on the subject of whether the Earth was round or flat.

Comment

What has really contributed to the rise of this ridiculous concept is Youtube together with photoshop. You can photoshop anything now.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                              If you mean JohnMartin, he indicated that he was open to it and leaned toward it but was hesitant to embrace it like he did geocentrism.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment