Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

715 NEW planets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bummer. Still in the speculation stage. Wonder if Someone could ever help with the light barrier thing...
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by OingoBoingo View Post
      According to Tipler and Borrow in The Anthropic Cosmological Principle, extraterrestrial life is statistically improbable, and they pointed out that advocates for SETI were typically astronomers and physicists, whereas many biologists including Ernst Mayr, G.G. Simpson, Peter Douglas Ward, and Leonard Ornstein were skeptical of the arguments for extraterrestrial life. Have the arguments against the plausibility for extraterrestrial life gone out of favor?
      I consider Tipler and Borrow in The Anthropic Cosmological Principle old, 1988. Some of the others are a little old too.
      Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-27-2014, 06:26 AM.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by OingoBoingo View Post
        I'm not a mathematical physicist or a cosmologist like Tipler and Barrow are, so I don't know how to answer that question.
        Probability equals the number of wanted outcomes divided by the number of possible outcomes. Consider a probability of .0000001 (that's six zeroes, ten million to one) to find planets with life in the habitable zone. Multiply that times the number of habitable planets in the Milky Way (estimated ~40 billion). That's 4,000 planets with life, just in the Milky Way. Claiming statistical unlikelihood on the scale of the universe isn't saying much.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

For some reason, I have never really seen the cosmic insignificance of earth as a theological problem, though I imagine how it may have been jarring in centuries past to some. The one issue that I would struggle with the theological implications of is the existence of intelligent extraterrestrial life, should this development come about. (And by "struggle with", I simply mean I am not immediately sure how I would approach it, though truth is of course never to be feared.)
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            For some reason, I have never really seen the cosmic insignificance of earth as a theological problem, though I imagine how it may have been jarring in centuries past to some. The one issue that I would struggle with the theological implications of is the existence of intelligent extraterrestrial life, should this development come about. (And by "struggle with", I simply mean I am not immediately sure how I would approach it, though truth is of course never to be feared.)
            Biblically it is very much a problem, humanity is at the center of a very small universe. In the first century BC Lucretius had it pretty accurate. Consider the worldview of Christianity that the rest of our world were heathen barbarians. Surprise! They are as intelligent and spiritual if not more so then Christianity.
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              Biblically it is very much a problem, humanity is at the center of a very small universe. In the first century BC Lucretius had it pretty accurate. Consider the worldview of Christianity that the rest of our world were heathen barbarians. Surprise! They are as intelligent and spiritual if not more so then Christianity.
              It is only a problem for biblical literalism that extends to a degree not practiced by any but a small, fringe minority of Christians. If you want to find the Christians that this is problematic for, you have to look for Christians who adhere to geocentrism.

Comment

I don't see how. The general thrust of the passage where God speaks in Job is that humanity is insignificant compared to God and his creation, which would seem to be the opposite of what you are asserting here (and I'm honestly not sure what your basis is for the assertion).
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

. . .Consider the worldview of Christianity that the rest of our world were heathen barbarians. Surprise! They are as intelligent and spiritual if not more so then Christianity.
                  Being heathen barbarians and being intelligent and spiritual are not mutually exclusive.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    Being heathen barbarians and being intelligent and spiritual are not mutually exclusive.
                    While I agree, I will note that many Christians (historically, and even today) take that view. It is NOT supported by the Bible, and is instead a view that stems from extra-biblical cultural issues.

Comment

So there are planets out there up for grabs in the future.....

Better insure a proper rallying of the fleet...

Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
                      As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                        Biblically the barbarians and heathens were neither intelligent nor spiritual.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Andius View Post
                          I'm not familiar with the artist, but the artwork is neat. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
                            I'm not familiar with the artist, but the artwork is neat. :)
                            Pretty sure it's a fleet battle in EVE. Might be STO or SWTOR, but I don't think so.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                              Pretty sure it's a fleet battle in EVE. Might be STO or SWTOR, but I don't think so.
                              As I don't play MMOs, it's no wonder I didn't recognize it. Still neat!

Comment

Biblically the barbarians and heathens were neither intelligent nor spiritual.
                                Evidence? Give quotes in context. Where do you think it says that heathens are any more stupid than anyone else.
                                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment