Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

715 NEW planets

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 715 NEW planets

    Nasa announced the discovery of 715 MORE extra-solar planets than we already knew about. This new set of planets is said to include 4 in habitable zones and of a size within the same ballpark as that of the Earth. The current methods still favor planets with short orbits and greater mass than the Earth, but this is now close to 2000 extra-solar planets that are now known.

    Kind of hard to say 'planets don't form naturally' when they are ubiquitous - eh Jorge?

    Well probably not. Jorge still doubts even stars can form naturally. There are trillions of those.

    More to the point, it does seem that our solar system, which so far still seems a bit rare in form, is not a unique occurrence in the universe or our galaxy. Planets are everywhere. And they come in a wide variety of forms, a variety that is in fact a superset of what we find here around Sol. This is what could be expected from observations of star formation given the number of dust disks seen and which should eventually form planetary systems around the new stars themselves.

    So once again, what appears to be a logical consequence of the laws of nature as they are understood through science happens to also be reflected in simple reality.

    So what does this say to the Christian? Though for some it may challenge their presumptions, mostly I think it says that God has made a universe that is amazing and varied. And that we must remain humble in our assumptions about how He did it, or what His purposes are beyond what scripture reveals - and even in terms of how we interpret said scripture. Especially thoughts that mimic those of Galileo's time, thoughts that demand some kind of centralized physical importance on our part. We simply can't predict what God has done in creation based on His revealed focus on us our redemption. God is more than capable of giving us His full attention without diluting in the slightest whatever other purposes He may have in this creation.

    But I think to most anyone who has grown up on Star Trek and sci-fi in general and is old enough to remember when we looked out and wondered if there were planets outside the solar system, it is simply amazing and exciting to be living in a time when this particular door of understanding and knowledge has been opened.


    JIm
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

  • #2
    Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    But I think to most anyone who has grown up on Star Trek and sci-fi in general and is old enough to remember when we looked out and wondered if there were planets outside the solar system, it is simply amazing and exciting to be living in a time when this particular door of understanding and knowledge has been opened.
    I want warp drive. And phasers ... just in case ....

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes. We need a star ship with warp drive to go visit those planets!
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        So what does this say to the Christian? Though for some it may challenge their presumptions, mostly I think it says that God has made a universe that is amazing and varied. And that we must remain humble in our assumptions about how He did it, or what His purposes are beyond what scripture reveals - and even in terms of how we interpret said scripture. Especially thoughts that mimic those of Galileo's time, thoughts that demand some kind of centralized physical importance on our part. We simply can't predict what God has done in creation based on His revealed focus on us our redemption. God is more than capable of giving us His full attention without diluting in the slightest whatever other purposes He may have in this creation.
        While I am a non-Christian, and I am agnostic on the question of the existence of any Deity, I can respect this view. If I were to ever convert to Christianity, this would be the type of guidance that could lead me there.

        Comment


        • #5
          Don't see how extrasolar planets could be a problem. They're just plain cool.
          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
            Yes. We need a star ship with warp drive to go visit those planets!
            I've got 'em, but you can't have 'em. I use those planets as a private vacation resort, see?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Just Some Dude View Post
              I've got 'em, but you can't have 'em. I use those planets as a private vacation resort, see?
              Christianbookworm, I say we invade Just Some Dude's starport and see what can be jump-started. :evil:

              Comment


              • #8
                Poor Pluto, still being left out in the cold while all these distant strangers are being invited to the banquet. I feel bad for Pluto.
                βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

                אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                  Poor Pluto, still being left out in the cold while all these distant strangers are being invited to the banquet. I feel bad for Pluto.
                  It's a dwarf planet! Lots of those too!
                  If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                    It's a dwarf planet! Lots of those too!
                    Pluto, Charon, and Ceres, running around singing "Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work we go...."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Outis View Post
                      I want warp drive. And phasers ... just in case ....
                      Well will this work for you:

                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Can't see it! Is it the Enterprise?
                        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                          Can't see it! Is it the Enterprise?
                          Romulan ship with cloaking device.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Just wait a while. They will have to drop their shields before they can fire their phasers.
                            βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                            ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

                            אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                              Can't see it! Is it the Enterprise?
                              Well, one of the Enterprises.
                              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by shunyadragon, Yesterday, 03:18 PM
                              0 responses
                              14 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post shunyadragon  
                              Started by shunyadragon, 10-17-2020, 05:11 PM
                              7 responses
                              37 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by shunyadragon, 10-09-2020, 09:25 PM
                              0 responses
                              22 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post shunyadragon  
                              Started by rogue06, 10-09-2020, 03:29 PM
                              6 responses
                              52 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post shunyadragon  
                              Started by shunyadragon, 10-07-2020, 12:11 PM
                              0 responses
                              10 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post shunyadragon  
                              Working...
                              X