Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

A proof for the Stationary Earth, Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A proof for the Stationary Earth, Part 2

This one opened since JohnMartin decided to cut off replies he couldn't answer in the other thread.

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
    This one opened since JohnMartin decided to cut off replies he couldn't answer in the other thread.
    Actually, I think this is John responding to my reminder he is a Christian and must face the truth. We showed his claim could not be used to differentiate a rotating and non-rotating Earth, and so he is, at least tacitly, acknowledging that fact.

I would have been better if he admitted his argument failed and given that as a reason for shutting down the thread, but overall, it is him admitting at least on this point we were right. That doesn't happen too often around here (some sort of YEC apologist admits they were wrong) - so I'm inclined to let him take the back door out without too much grief over it .. at least till next time

Jim
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-02-2016, 09:22 AM.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMartin
      The aether model posits that because there is physical evidence for the aether,
      What physical evidence for the aether would that be?

then the aether is the cause of acceleration and deceleration of a body and not the body itself.
      How does the moving aether magically know when to change directions at the exact same time a spacecraft fires its engines?

Your above example ignores the properties of the firmament and only assumes the aether does what you think geostatists think the aether does
      What are the properties of the firmament?

Your example is a straw man position that avoids the involvement of the firmament in relation to the force called gravity.
      What is the firmament's involvement in relation to gravity? Besides you already told us there's no such thing as gravity, just aether pushing downward. Make up your moonbat mind.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMartin
        A clever mathematician can make any point in the universe stand still in space. That's relativity theory.

A more clever mathematician could make all objects in space stand still and have all points of space move around and through those stationary objects. That's big bang cosmology.

But nobody will admit that anyone is clever enough to make the universe focused on one stationary object. Yet God is clever enough and Christians know it. But most modern Christians deny He has done it, even though their book says He has.
        There's a big difference between creating a mathematical coordinate system with the center anywhere you chooses and accurately describing the physical forces that exist in reality.

Suppose someone chucks a rock and hits you square in your stationary head. You can write up some fancy math to show the rock was stationary and it was your head which flew across the yard and collided with it. That doesn't change the fact it was the force applied directly to the rock which caused it to zip through the air and conk you in the bean.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko
          didnt notice it was closed.

Oh well John would not have answered me anyway.
          JohnMartin is free to answer your questions or any other questions on this open thread. Not that he will of course.

Comment

Another hamster wheel thread. Hamsters and Gerbels are quit prolific critters.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

yeah I am thinking Oxxy is right. His closing the thread was his way of saving face and skidaddling away while tacitly admitting he was wrong. It would have been much more honorable to just say, "well OK, I admit I was wrong with the whole atmosphere velocity thing, but I will find some other way to prove the earth is stationary, I will return!"

But then JohnMartin can't seem to say the words "I was wrong"

Comment

And like I said in the other thread (after it was closed)

If he would just modify his geostationary earth to include a ROTATING earth, he would make it a lot harder to disprove him. He could still argue for earth being the center of the universe and although the mechanics of it require some majorly unbelievable physics, it is at least mathematically equivalent to a heliocentric model. But it is too easy to show the earth is actually rotating for his model to work with a stationary earth that doesn't rotate. I wonder why a nonrotating earth is so important to his model?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  yeah I am thinking Oxxy is right. His closing the thread was his way of saving face and skidaddling away while tacitly admitting he was wrong. It would have been much more honorable to just say, "well OK, I admit I was wrong with the whole atmosphere velocity thing, but I will find some other way to prove the earth is stationary, I will return!"

But then JohnMartin can't seem to say the words "I was wrong"
                  Not an uncommon failing. Perhaps he was too busy pointing out other peoples' typoes.

Do beagles fit in hamster wheels?
                  Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                  MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                    Not an uncommon failing. Perhaps he was too busy pointing out other peoples' typoes.

Do beagles fit in hamster wheels?
                    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                      Hey, I resemble that remark!
                      but does the aether keep the wheel spinning?

Comment

but does the aether keep the wheel spinning?
                        JM: "All accelerations are caused by aether flow as taught within one version of the geostationary model."

I'll take that as a yes.
                        Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
                          JM: "All accelerations are caused by aether flow as taught within one version of the geostationary model."

I'll take that as a yes.
                          Even my car? Why do I keep having to put gas in it then?

Comment

And like I said in the other thread (after it was closed)

If he would just modify his geostationary earth to include a ROTATING earth, he would make it a lot harder to disprove him. He could still argue for earth being the center of the universe and although the mechanics of it require some majorly unbelievable physics, it is at least mathematically equivalent to a heliocentric model. But it is too easy to show the earth is actually rotating for his model to work with a stationary earth that doesn't rotate. I wonder why a nonrotating earth is so important to his model?
                            He has resorted to using a rotating model to explain something once, but only because it was something that he could not explain without it.
                            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Question:
                              When responding to John Martin's assertions did anyone do something other than simply take the word of a textbook?

I'll be honest, I've no idea if the earth is actually rotating or not and I've not the faintest idea on how one would even begin to approach proving it one way or the other. While I've no reason to doubt the common narrative I think it is telling that we had quite a few people posting 'facts' - people with no real ability to back up those 'facts' with anything other than bluster - or worse, simply quoting a source without even understanding it.

Let me give you an example: 50 years ago it was a fact that homosexuality was a mental illness. At the time you could quote doctors/scientists/professionals out the wazoo that there was no question that homosexuality was a mental illness. They were treating it with shock therapy and lobotomies - concerned families were told this was the best thing for their son - and if they questioned it a wise man in a gray beard could pull out the consensus of any number of highly trained professionals to back up the assessment. "Son, this may hurt a bit..." *BZZZZZAAAAT*

I don't think you know what you think you know.
                              I think you're a poser.
                              Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment