Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

A proof for the Stationary Earth, Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    I think this is a reasonable clarification; however, whether or not the earth is rotating the phones do work hence the idea that the truth of whether or not the earth rotates is of 'no practical importance' to most people.
    The phones may work, but they can't just punch in an address to get directions anymore. That's why I say you just don't know what the practical implications are.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
      I checked his calculations - does that count?
      I weigh 10 tons.
      The limit on the elevator is 2 tons.
      The math proves that I exceed the limit on the elevator.

Math only models reality, it doesn't determine it.
      Calculations can still be nothing but fantasy even if the equations work (or don't).
      Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
        The phones may work, but they can't just punch in an address to get directions anymore. That's why I say you just don't know what the practical implications are.
        You've misunderstood what I meant by practical implications.

As long as the phones (and accessories) work whether or not satellites are in orbit, held up by string, or are actually angelic creatures - the actual mechanism in play has no practical implications for most people. If you were one of the few people trying to design your own phone system the implications would be huge; however, most consumers don't care either way.
        Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
          You really should check out the other thread more closely. For example, JM was talking about a plane flying, and lilpixieofterror has plenty of experience with aircraft. When it comes to satellites, in addition to HMS_Beagle, I have plenty of satellite experience. I worked in satellite intelligence in the military, and I worked on satellite projects in private industry. I know about satellite propulsion and attitude control systems, which JM disbelieves in. I know about geosynchronous satellites, which would fall down if the Earth isn't rotating. Etc.
          I love that you took this personally.
          That said, you definitely shouldn't.

Comment

JohnMartin:

Be sure to contact me again should you ever need help slapping around some science clowns.

Affectionately,
            Meh Gerbil

Comment

You've misunderstood what I meant by practical implications.

As long as the phones (and accessories) work whether or not satellites are in orbit, held up by string, or are actually angelic creatures - the actual mechanism in play has no practical implications for most people. If you were one of the few people trying to design your own phone system the implications would be huge; however, most consumers don't care either way.
              I think you're proving my point for me.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I checked his calculations - does that count?
                I weigh 10 tons.
                Time to diet?
                The limit on the elevator is 2 tons.
                The math proves that I exceed the limit on the elevator.
                Only if the maths is correct.
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

If the earth didn't rotate, the side facing the sun would get a wee bit warm too. I call dibs on the twilight zone.

Comment

I think this is a reasonable clarification; however, whether or not the earth is rotating the phones do work hence the idea that the truth of whether or not the earth rotates is of 'no practical importance' to most people.
                    This is an attitude I find a little tough to stomach. Yes, the world will likely continue on as it is whether or not we are right about it's shape, rotation, orbit or any of those things. But the ONLY reason you can talk on this website is because we are very likely correct about these things. The truth is that by learning what we've learned, we've been able to set up things like the internet and worldwide nearly instantaneous communications. So it really DOES matter in that the world you would be living in would be a very, very much more difficult place without that knowledge.

You might want to think about that a bit. But the truth is with 7+billion people on the planet, there is room for a few that reap the benefits without sowing a single seed.

Jim
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      This is an attitude I find a little tough to stomach. Yes, the world will likely continue on as it is whether or not we are right about it's shape, rotation, orbit or any of those things. But the ONLY reason you can talk on this website is because we are very likely correct about these things. The truth is that by learning what we've learned, we've been able to set up things like the internet and worldwide nearly instantaneous communications. So it really DOES matter in that the world you would be living in would be a very, very much more difficult place without that knowledge.

You might want to think about that a bit. But the truth is with 7+billion people on the planet, there is room for a few that reap the benefits without sowing a single seed.

Jim
                      I'm not sure why you people insist on turning my observation into an attack on knowledge.

Scenario A: The earth rotates, scientists figured it out, we can now get Netflix.
                      Scenario B: The earth is stationary, scientists figured it out, we can now get Netflix.

^------ To the consumer (vast majority of people) either scenario is just fine. The vast majority of people couldn't provide proof (other than quote mining) of A or B if their lives depended upon it. Go ahead, tell your neighbor that scientists have just proven the earth is stationary. She'll check her phone, grunt, and head off to work because the knowledge, while important to you, is entirely unimportant to her as long as the phone works.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        Time to diet?Only if the maths is correct.
                        I bet you $150.00 that the math.... oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

I'd like to request that this thread be closed.

Comment

I'm not sure why you people insist on turning my observation into an attack on knowledge.

Scenario A: The earth rotates, scientists figured it out, we can now get Netflix.
                            Scenario B: The earth is stationary, scientists figured it out, we can now get Netflix.

^------ To the consumer (vast majority of people) either scenario is just fine. The vast majority of people couldn't provide proof (other than quote mining) of A or B if their lives depended upon it. Go ahead, tell your neighbor that scientists have just proven the earth is stationary. She'll check her phone, grunt, and head off to work because the knowledge, while important to you, is entirely unimportant to her as long as the phone works.
                            Because Scenario B isn't accurate. Change it to 'the earth is stationary, we can't get Netflix', and you have a better picture of the problem. You're right that people don't care about how only what, but they don't understand that how dictates what.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

There are many documented instances where car mechanics have used a customer's lack of knowledge to charge for repairs that weren't required or never actually completed.
                              You may want to used a different example since this one works against your point about half the time.

Most Europeans have a first hand knowledge of homoeroticism masquerading as a sporting event.
                              Way to weasel, er, I mean gerbil and avoid answering the questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                If the earth didn't rotate, the side facing the sun would get a wee bit warm too. I call dibs on the twilight zone.
                                Not in Moonbat World. There the sun orbits the stationary Earth so equal sunlight for all.

Comment