Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is the Earth Flat? - Some Evidence Presented

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JohnMartin is right about a flat Earth. According to the Holographic Principle, everything in the Universe, including the entire Earth, can be mapped onto the surface of the Universe. The Universe being so stupendously huge, that surface is for all practical purposes as flat as a pancake.

QED, flat Earth.

Keep up the good work, JohnMartin: it's so much fun to read you running rings around all the scientifically illiterate dimmocks here; their attempts to correct you are obviously futile.

David

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnMartin View Post
      Even in the 747 reference frame the curved earth would rise and fall over the sagitta. If the earth does not rise and fall relative to the 747, then the sagitta does not exist relative to the 747. The gravity vector only remains perpendicular to the 747 if the 747 is really rising and falling over the sagitta. If the 747 is not passing over the sagitta, then the perpendicular gravity vector is only perpendicular to the 747 which is flying over the earth as a flat surface.

Your answer ignores the ever changing earth angle under the 747 as the 747 flies over the curved surface. The changing earth angle under the 747 requires the 747 to be guided around the curved earth. As this does not happen, then the flight show the earth is flat.

JM
      Here John - just to make it easy for you, I'll post the same answer to this I put over in the Heliocentrism thread:

Source: heliocentrism thread post 1102

There is no 'geometry of the sagitta' when discussing real flights. The airplane flies at an altitude above the surface of the Earth. That surface varies a good bit more than the simple arc of the overall spheroid of the Earth. And so the airplane maintains an altitude which corresponds with the air pressure at a given height. That pressure does not vary with the undulations of the gound below, but rather is the result of the weight of the gases in the atmosphere above the position the plane is currently flying and is directly determined by the actual distance from the center of the Earth (or as it is normally expressed, feet above mean sea level). The power, angle of attack are all balanced against what is needed to maintain that altitude above the Earth, (and by Earth I mean 'mean sea level', not the physical surface itself). Keep in mind the atmosphere is also a spherical shell of gas around the Earth. To fly a true tangent to its current position above the Earth the airplane would, in fact and over time, have to climb in altitude. That would require additional power and changes in the angle of attack. But if it simply flies level (which means tangent to the current position over the Earth), then it will maintain the same altitude above the Earth because that is where the power and angle of attack are balanced. Thus it will follow the arc of the atmosphere above the arc of the Earth that corresponds to that particular density of the atmosphere due to simple aerodynamics and the power required to maintain that altitude.

© Copyright Original Source

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Even in the 747 reference frame the curved earth would rise and fall over the sagitta. If the earth does not rise and fall relative to the 747, then the sagitta does not exist relative to the 747. The gravity vector only remains perpendicular to the 747 if the 747 is really rising and falling over the sagitta. If the 747 is not passing over the sagitta, then the perpendicular gravity vector is only perpendicular to the 747 which is flying over the earth as a flat surface.

Your answer ignores the ever changing earth angle under the 747 as the 747 flies over the curved surface. The changing earth angle under the 747 requires the 747 to be guided around the curved earth. As this does not happen, then the flight show the earth is flat.

JM
        Ox answered this in a post on another thread.

My explanation was a simplification assuming a SMOOTH spherical Earth. Think about that when you do the experiment. The gravity vector still always points towards Earth's center of mass and "level" means perpendicular to it.

As Ox explained, the aircraft maintains a constant altitude wrt mean sea level based on the weight of the (spherical!) atmosphere above the craft. Actually I think this done today using GPS which gives altitude above mean sea level. On a flight from LAX to ORD I held my GPS by the window. While cruising, the altitude varied no more than two feet from 40,700 feet. However, the peaks in the Rockies looked (and were!) lots closer than that.

Comment

Wrong thread. I've given you an answer, now you give me your answer as you promised.

JM
          I didn't see any "answer" from you.

Apparently Magick Aether does whatever needs to be done.

How conveeeeeeenient!

Comment

• I've decided to close the Helio and FE threads as I now have other projects outside Tweb to complete.

Thanks to all who participated. I am grateful for your contributions. It's been interesting.

We may continue these discussions at another time.

JM
            Last edited by JohnMartin; 02-18-2016, 03:41 PM.

Comment

• Moderated By: Littlejoe

Closing thread at request of the OP JohnMartin

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
              Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

"What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment