Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The "Open" Pyramid - Abu Rowash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Open" Pyramid - Abu Rowash

So, we're taught in school that the pyramids were built using dirt ramps and slaves pulling huge stones over rollers.

I'm watching a history channel special on pyramids, and am particularly interested in the one at Abu Rowash, which is on a mountain. This would require the stones be moved, not only up the pyramid, but up the mountain, supposedly debunking the "ropes and rollers" theory. This is along the Nile in the "Band of Peace", North of the Giza Plateau.

Another interesting thing about this pyramid is that is an "open air" pyramid.

open air.jpgopen air 2.jpgopen air 3.jpg

Please don't descend into discussions of aliens - teach me something useful!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Abu Rawash is located on a plateau. It's not like they were dragging the stones up the side of Kilimanjaro. Here's the Google topo map of the site:

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=30.0...output=classic
    "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
    --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

OK, this series started out pretty interesting - particularly the "tours" of the various pyramids, and the ABSENCE of "aliens did it".....

... but as it progresses, there's certainly the implication that they had far more advanced technology than we have today, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's going in that direction.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the scenery.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        So, we're taught in school that the pyramids were built using dirt ramps and slaves pulling huge stones over rollers.
        One correction. Not built by slaves.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          One correction. Not built by slaves.
          That was another point of contention in the video. But I'm correct in my statement that that's what we were taught in school.

Comment

OK, this series started out pretty interesting - particularly the "tours" of the various pyramids, and the ABSENCE of "aliens did it".....

... but as it progresses, there's certainly the implication that they had far more advanced technology than we have today, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's going in that direction.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the scenery.
            As far as I could see in the program there was only the usual marveling of the accomplishments of the Egyptians. No alien conspiracies lurking in unknown underground vaults not yet discovered.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              As far as I could see in the program there was only the usual marveling of the accomplishments of the Egyptians. No alien conspiracies lurking in unknown underground vaults not yet discovered.
              This one, Shuny, is suggesting that the pyramids were built for the purpose of collecting energy, and suggesting that the "hallways" of the interior of the pyramid were electrified with a magnetic field, of sorts, that would have allowed them to see in the dark without torches.

I should have known when I LATER discovered that this series is called "The Pyramid Code".
              Last edited by Cow Poke; 02-21-2015, 10:39 AM.

Comment

This one, Shuny, is suggesting that the pyramids were built for the purpose of collecting energy, and suggesting that the "hallways" of the interior of the pyramid were electrified with a magnetic field, of sorts, that would have allowed them to see in the dark without torches.

I should have known when I LATER discovered that this series is called "The Pyramid Code".
                Argh. Yet another lovely series from the Pseudo-History Channel...
                "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
                --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                  Yeah, but if you know that going in, there's still plenty of value -- some great scenery and close up views of various aspects of the pyramids.

Comment

Yeah, but if you know that going in, there's still plenty of value -- some great scenery and close up views of various aspects of the pyramids.
                    I love the "pyramid tech" and "aliens did it" shows, personally. They're like a comedy club without the two-drink minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                      I love the "pyramid tech" and "aliens did it" shows, personally. They're like a comedy club without the two-drink minimum.
                      Generally need a two drink minimum for those type shows.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Generally need a two drink minimum for those type shows.
                        Especially when they start bringing up the Bible, and which books were "banned".

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                          Well, yeah, at first, this didn't appear to be THAT, but then it appears they're building up to that. Besides, they have EX-spurts interviewed who KNOW stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                            IMO they should just rename it to the Fanfiction Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                              IMO they should just rename it to the Fanfiction Channel.
                              Pardon you! I would watch a channel dedicated to fanfiction, either played straight or a meta example.
                              Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment