Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christianity and the Origin of Sanskrit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    This remains quite late for the topic of the thread.
    Acknowledged. I was simply trying to clarify a point Siam made.

The only significant connection is the fact that monastic traditions are a part of many ancient cultures
    Which means it's not really a connection at all, just a similarity, like pyramids in Mesoamerica and Egypt. (An extreme example).

God bless you Shuny. :)
    Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by disciple100 View Post
      A while back I had been looking at a website called ebible.com. On that website was a question, Did Jesus ever travel to India?

https://ebible.com/questions/2901-di...ravel-to-india

Anyway, farther down one person shared information from a PDF talking about work done by a man named Dr. Alexander Harris. I had shared it elsewhere, naturally it was scoffed by some rather vitriolic atheists, but, basically, the premise is that Christianity was introduced to India before Sanskrit was actually written, thus, why The Mahābhārata sounds very Christian. I was interested in what other people thought. Here is the link:

http://appiusforum.net/sanskrit.pdf
      No, the Mahabhrata is not Christia but a common wisdom literature in Hinduism. That said I've read it and its useful in reinforcing the idea of universally good morals. It also causes one to realize that perhaps we are too isolated in thinking that only certain people understooda God when in fact others perhaps have had partial understandings. However it is no more Christian than the text I'm currently critically reading written by a pagan practioner on meditation, holistic healing, and thoughtful prayer. smart? yes. Useful? Most of it as enhancing pain relief. Orthodox Christian? Nope Just meant for the everyday lay person seeking a holistic outlet
      Last edited by Catholicity; 01-20-2015, 07:04 PM.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
        No, the Mahabhrata is not Christia but a common wisdom literature in Hinduism. That said I've read it and its useful in reinforcing the idea of universally good morals. It also causes one to realize that perhaps we are too isolated in thinking that only certain people understood God when in fact others perhaps have had partial understandings. However it is no more Christian than the text I'm currently critically reading written by a pagan practioner on meditation, holistic healing, and thoughtful prayer. smart? yes. Useful? Most of it as enhancing pain relief. Orthodox Christian? Nope Just meant for the everyday lay person seeking a holistic outlet
        My view is everyone and all beliefs have a partial understanding of God.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

My view is everyone and all beliefs have a partial understanding of God.
          What about nihilists?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            What about nihilists?
            Knowledge of the nature of our physical existence is knowledge of God's Creation. Knowledge of things does not necessarily reflect what we are willing to believe or not believe.
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Knowledge of the nature of our physical existence is knowledge of God's Creation. Knowledge of things does not necessarily reflect what we are willing to believe or not believe.
              What about nihilists?

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nihilism

Nihilism - an extreme form of skepticism: the denial of all real existence or the possibility of an objective basis for truth.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

What about nihilists?

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nihilism

Nihilism - an extreme form of skepticism: the denial of all real existence or the possibility of an objective basis for truth.

Yes, this is true, but again, what one choses to believe does not necessarily reflect what they have knowledge of.

Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-21-2015, 04:06 PM.

Frank

Comment

Yes, this is true, but again, what one choses to believe does not necessarily reflect what they have knowledge of.

So what you're saying is that the nihilist who believes that knowledge does not exist or that it is a fantasy really does know something even if they deny that they do.

Comment

So what you're saying is that the nihilist who believes that knowledge does not exist or that it is a fantasy really does know something even if they deny that they do.
                    The Nihilist does not believe knowledge does not exist. He may believe nothing in reality exists or some version that anything beyond the physical existence does not exist, but that is the belief of the Nihilist, and not the knowledge of the Nihilist.

Quote is as is, read it simply.

Frank

Comment

The Nihilist does not believe knowledge does not exist. He may believe nothing in reality exists or some version that anything beyond the physical existence does not exist, but that is the belief of the Nihilist, and not the knowledge of the Nihilist.

So you disagree with the Wikipedia article when it says,

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism

Nihilism can also take epistemological or ontological/metaphysical forms, meaning respectively that, in some aspect, knowledge is not possible, or that reality does not actually exist.

And

Nihilism of an epistemological form can be seen as an extreme form of skepticism in which all knowledge is denied.[8]

Comment

So you disagree with the Wikipedia article when it says,

Nihilism can also take epistemological or ontological/metaphysical forms, meaning respectively that, in some aspect, knowledge is not possible, or that reality does not actually exist.

And

Nihilism of an epistemological form can be seen as an extreme form of skepticism in which all knowledge is denied.[8]

No, I do not disagree with this at all. Again . . .

You are citing the belief about knowledge, not the knowledge that the Nihilist has in his brain, about the world around them. Like forms of Hinduism that deny knowledge and the existence is real, but that does not deny their ability to personally have knowledge about the world around them, they communicate with this illusion around them, and that they believe in reality it is an illusion or not real.

Frank

Comment

No, I do not disagree with this at all. Again . . .

You are citing the belief about knowledge, not the knowledge that the Nihilist has in his brain, about the world around them. Like forms of Hinduism that deny knowledge and the existence is real, but that does not deny their ability to personally have knowledge about the world around them, they communicate with this illusion around them, and that they believe in reality it is an illusion or not real.

So then my post #23 was correct after all, right?

Comment

That is what he seems to be saying.
                            Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
                              That is what he seems to be saying.
                              Guess it was just too hard for him to come out with it.

Comment

NO

Frank

Comment