Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Early Image of Jesus Found in Egyptian Tomb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Image of Jesus Found in Egyptian Tomb

Jesus of Nazareth may be the subject of an image from the sixth century, found in an Egyptian structure underneath the ground.
    http://www.techtimes.com/articles/63...n-tomb-dig.htm

I found this pretty interesting.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
    I think the header is interesting: "Early image of Jesus Christ possibly found in Egyptian tomb dig"

I THINK they mean "Possible image of Jesus Christ found in Egyptian tomb dig". (as opposed to the image being "possibly found") Unfortunately, when I clicked on a link in that article, it launched a whole series of ads and banners.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I think the header is interesting: "Early image of Jesus Christ possibly found in Egyptian tomb dig"

I THINK they mean "Possible image of Jesus Christ found in Egyptian tomb dig". (as opposed to the image being "possibly found") Unfortunately, when I clicked on a link in that article, it launched a whole series of ads and banners.
      Here comes the Christ mythers.
      "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
      "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
      Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Sorry about that. I have an ad blocker on my browser so I didn't see those popups :|.
        "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Sorry about that. I have an ad blocker on my browser so I didn't see those popups :|.
          Yeah, me too -- that's how I know it was so ad laden -- my popup blocker kept whining and crying.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

For the unfortunate prodder of bovines:

Source: Early image of Jesus Christ possibly found in Egyptian tomb dig

Jesus of Nazareth may be the subject of an image from the sixth century, found in an Egyptian structure underneath the ground.

University of Barcelona researchers believe the room in which the image was found may be a tomb. This could be the final resting site of several priests and a writer, based on items found around the underground structure. The location is roughly 26 feet wide and 13 feet long. Archaeologists removed nearly 50 tons of rocks and other debris to access the underground structure.

Josep Padró led the expedition, in an area he has spent 20 years exploring. Inside the tomb, he found several images, including one of a curly-haired man giving a blessing, while wearing a short tunic.

The Spanish researcher believes this one central figure may be a rendering of Jesus Christ, created 500 years after his death. Numerous inscription surround the picture, and archaeologists are scrambling to translate the characters to make a positive identification.

Within the underground grave site, two pens and a metallic pot full of ink is provided for the writer to continue their work. Examination of the scribe's body revealed the writer was around 17 years old at time of death.

The ancient room is located in the ancient city of Oxyrhynchus, roughly 100 miles south-southwest of Cairo. This city is considered one of the richest archeological sites ever discovered.

The discovery "has caused such as stir that even Egypt's Minister of Antiquities, Mohamed Ibrahim, has become personally involved. He broke the news himself in a press release which described the contents of the tombs," The Local, a Spanish newspaper, first reported.

At one time, a religious processional route ran between the Nile River and Osireion, a temple for worshipers of Osiris, the Egyptian God of the afterlife. Several structures in the city have been found, this path ran just past the underground structures.

Padró and his team are investigating the exact nature of the room, along with researchers from the University of Montpellier and the Catalan Egyptology Society.

They want to know if the structure was created just as a tomb, or if there may have been an additional purpose to the room.

A second structure was also discovered in the dig, attached to the scribe's resting place by a worn set of steps. For now, archaeologists can only make intelligent guesses about what may lie within the unopened room. It may be a temple, possibly another of a series dedicated to Osiris.

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Thanks for that rogue06 :). I should've done that lol.

Comment

The grammar is poor, but that may be due to translation.

Comment

The grammar is poor, but that may be due to translation.
                  Didn't I warn you about that Jesse?
                  Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

If you haven't run across the notorious prodder of bovines as of yet, consider yourself lucky. It is best to double check your spelling and grammar when conversing with him -- he will correct any mistakes.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Lol. You did warn me about it lol. Glad he has yet to catch on to me though. Out of all of that, he catches grammar mistakes .

Comment

I was talking about the article, not Jesse. The subject/verb agreement n particular is atrocious. Doesn't look very "scholarly".

Comment

I was talking about the article, not Jesse. The subject/verb agreement n particular is atrocious. Doesn't look very "scholarly".
                        It's probably just lazy writing on their part.

Comment

It's probably just lazy writing on their part.
                          Yeah, but I have a tendency to equate that to the quality of their "research / reporting".

Comment

Yeah, but I have a tendency to equate that to the quality of their "research / reporting".
                            You know, you seem to be right. I just Googled "Early Image of Jesus Found in Egyptian Tomb" and it seems none of the sites report it quite like they do. So there is probably a better link than the one I just supplied.

Comment

You left out a letter "i".

Comment