Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christian chalice unearthed in Roman fort along Hadrian's Wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian chalice unearthed in Roman fort along Hadrian's Wall

Approximately 1400 years ago near the Roman fort at Vindolanda in Northumberland in northern England, near Hadrian's Wall, someone etched images into virtually every square inch of a lead chalice with depictions of crosses of various types, whale & fish, angels and other Christian symbols representing different forms of Christian iconography from the time. Now 14 fragments from that chalice has been excavated from the site of what was thought could be the ruins of a 6th cent. Christian church.

The discovery of these extremely battered fragments is important for several reasons.

There is nothing in north-western Europe that comes close to the combination of so many of these etchings from the period to this discovery. The nature of the images will likely force researchers to look at similar "graffiti" at early Christian sites in a different light.

Further, it is the only surviving partial chalice from this period in Britain and the first such artifact to come from a fort on Hadrian’s Wall.

Also, the presence of the chalice confirms that the site, which was inside the fort itself, was indeed that of a church making it the first suspected church site to be verified in this region from this period.

Various News Articles:
    Last edited by rogue06; 09-06-2020, 04:28 AM. Reason: missed a source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Interesting.

"Lead Chalice"?

I wonder (seriously) if there were illnesses from drinking --- or were these ONLY ceremonial, and maybe not used regularly enough to cause trouble?

(Or am I misunderstanding the use of "lead" here?)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Interesting.

"Lead Chalice"?

I wonder (seriously) if there were illnesses from drinking --- or were these ONLY ceremonial, and maybe not used regularly enough to cause trouble?

(Or am I misunderstanding the use of "lead" here?)
      People back then didn't understand what lead could do. The Romans made their water pipes out of it (which is why we use the Latin word for lead to refer to those same pipes today, "plumbing" from "plumbum").
      I even heard of a particular expedition to find the Northwest Passage that brought food packed in tin cans soldered with lead, and the journey ended about as well as you'd expect. This was when canning was pretty new and it was still a lot of trial and error. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran...ost_expedition
      Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
        People back then didn't understand what lead could do. The Romans made their water pipes out of it (which is why we use the Latin word for lead to refer to those same pipes today, "plumbing" from "plumbum").
        I even heard of a particular expedition to find the Northwest Passage that brought food packed in tin cans soldered with lead, and the journey ended about as well as you'd expect. This was when canning was pretty new and it was still a lot of trial and error. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran...ost_expedition
        interesting
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment