Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Shroud of Turin - Evidence for reweaving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    Not enough to invalidate the dating of the fibres themselves. The question remains whether the fibres that were dated were from a repair, or whether they are part of the actual shroud.
    The material can be contaminated by dust and handling, which was common, and it was apparently involved in a fire. The smoke (ash) from the fire can contaminate the material.

Some information is apparently available as to where the repairs were made. At present I find a lack of specifics as to standards and procedures of the sampling of the shroud, without reference to the repairs themselves..
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-30-2014, 06:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Leonhard
    replied
    Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    The history of the shroud involves contamination from different sources over time, which is bad news for C14 dating.
    Not enough to invalidate the dating of the fibres themselves. The question remains whether the fibres that were dated were from a repair, or whether they are part of the actual shroud.

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Actually the C14 dating is the only problem I have with it, and as it is right now I don't know enough of the case for reweaving to justify doubt in C14's veracity. Some of the tests done by Raymond Rogers haven't been replicated by anyone, especially that odd vanillin test, which destroyed the samples he worked with. All those need to be replicated independently.
    The history of the shroud involves contamination from different sources over time, which is bad news for C14 dating.

Leave a comment:

• Leonhard
    replied
    Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    I do not consider the C14 dating problem a major issue concerning the authenticity of the shroud.
    Actually the C14 dating is the only problem I have with it, and as it is right now I don't know enough of the case for reweaving to justify doubt in C14's veracity. Some of the tests done by Raymond Rogers haven't been replicated by anyone, especially that odd vanillin test, which destroyed the samples he worked with. All those need to be replicated independently.

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    I do not consider the C14 dating problem a major issue concerning the authenticity of the shroud.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    There's only one viable explanation for why the C14 datings of the Shroud of Turin isn't correct: The shroud underwent a repair after a burn in the fourteenth century, and this weaving is completely invisible. Therefore while the C14 dating is correct, it simple ends up pointing to the age of the repair. This is how its always presented to me, but its stated as fact that such a repair has taken place by Shroud supporters, not as conjecture.

If its not conjecture, then there must be good evidence for it, but I've never seen that evidence. Any Shroud supporters here who can give some good reasons for supposing this?

Personally I don't get why the Vatican doesn't give permission for a sample to taken from the middle for a final and official test. If it confirms the original C14 datings, then all discussion should cease. This is not a genuine relic, its something else. If it does point to proper age, then this would make the Shroud of Turin even more interesting than it is now.

The Shroud has undergone multiple repairs in its history - mostly around the edges because it was often hung from them and near the burned areas.

EVIDENCE FOR THE SKEWING OF THE C-14 DATING OF THE SHROUD OF TURIN DUE TO REPAIRS

Historical Support of a 16th Century Restoration in the Shroud C-14 Sample Area

There's a really good site somewhere with great pics but I haven't the time to hunt it down right now.

EDIT: Found this: http://st-johns-on-the-hill.org/shro...n/slide85.html
    Last edited by Teallaura; 05-29-2014, 08:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Leonhard
    started a topic Shroud of Turin - Evidence for reweaving

Shroud of Turin - Evidence for reweaving

There's only one viable explanation for why the C14 datings of the Shroud of Turin isn't correct: The shroud underwent a repair after a burn in the fourteenth century, and this weaving is completely invisible. Therefore while the C14 dating is correct, it simple ends up pointing to the age of the repair. This is how its always presented to me, but its stated as fact that such a repair has taken place by Shroud supporters, not as conjecture.

If its not conjecture, then there must be good evidence for it, but I've never seen that evidence. Any Shroud supporters here who can give some good reasons for supposing this?

Personally I don't get why the Vatican doesn't give permission for a sample to taken from the middle for a final and official test. If it confirms the original C14 datings, then all discussion should cease. This is not a genuine relic, its something else. If it does point to proper age, then this would make the Shroud of Turin even more interesting than it is now.
    Last edited by Leonhard; 05-29-2014, 05:49 AM.