Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Confirmations of the New Testament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    You didn't think this statement through, did you?
    Quit helping! He wants to destroy his own argument, let him!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      References not provided that would base the existence of fragments of the NT before 100 BCE. Actually the references you provided confirm that the fragments are post 100 AD except for the reference to the Mark fragment as previously cited was a pre-publication estimate. The date of the final research and publication of the results on the Mark fragment dated the fragment as well after 100 AD.
      Of course not - the NT was written AD, not BC.

(I had a much better comeback but Rogue messed it all up... )

Regardless, yep, there IS fragmentary evidence before 100 AD - and those references, which you didn't read, were provided.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        Of course not - the NT was written AD, not BC.

(I had a much better comeback but Rogue messed it all up... )

Regardless, yep, there IS fragmentary evidence before 100 AD - and those references, which you didn't read, were provided.
        I read them and the only one that was a maybe was the reference to the fragment of Mark, which when the research was published the dating of the fragment was after 150 AD. Please cite specifically where your references describe a fragment that is dated prior to 100 AD, and do not argue by web link, which is unethical on Tweb.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Another long hand wave...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Another long hand wave...
            Yes, your good at hand waving, and dodging providing a coherent response. You were arguing by web link is unethical on Tweb, which you did and will not back it up.

I read them and the only one that was a maybe was the reference to the fragment of Mark, which when the research was published the dating of the fragment was after 150 AD. Please cite specifically where your references describe a fragment that is dated prior to 100 AD, and do not argue by web link, which is unethical on Tweb.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-28-2019, 06:42 PM.
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

More waving...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

More waving...
                Your arms must be getting tired.

Yes, your good at hand waving, and dodging providing a coherent response. You were arguing by web link is unethical on Tweb, which you did and will not back it up.

Frank

Comment

More waving...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

More waving...
                    Still waiting . . .

Your arms must be getting tired.

Frank

Comment

• Anyone else think it's funny how shuny's initial claim was that,

We have nothing within a hundred years of the life of Jesus Christ,
                      but now he's sneakily changing that to:

Please cite specifically where your references describe a fragment that is dated prior to 100 AD
                      ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                        Anyone else think it's funny how shuny's initial claim was that,

?
                        I don't think he's being sneaky. He's not exactly good with details.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

?
                            And now he has read what he clearly hasn't.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              They were holy enough to be regularly read aloud at meetings. That puts the lie to the "living text" idea.
                              They were indeed regularly read aloud at meetings. So were many other “living texts” such as the Epistle of Barnabas, Epistles of Clement, The Gospel of Thomas, The Didache and several other texts…during the first two centuries in particular. The Canon of Holy Writ was not finalized until much later. Its definitive form was not drawn up until the Easter letter of Bishop Athanasius in 367 C.E.

I believe this is an example of "poisoning the well". If all you've got is argument by fallacy, you've failed.
                              No true scholarship begins with an assumption. In this instance the assumption is of “inerrant scripture”. This is not scholarship, its confirmation bias.
                              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

?
                                Both refer to the same problem. There are no fragments of the NT that have been documented as being prior to 100 AD. Teallaura threw out links, unethical arguing from web link, without explanation and they did not support his claims, and refused to cite them accurrated where they document fragments before 100 AD. One reference was a guess of the Mark fragment that it was a pre 100 AD fragment. I had already posted the final research publication that dated it after 150 AD. Another reference he cited was a vague layman's reference that did not support what he claimed.

If you are able to provide academic references that document NT fragments that date before 100 AD please do.

Frank

Comment