Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

AI and some of the world's most ancient scripts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    FAO shunyadragon

And of course we all know that rogue06 is an expert on all ancient cuneiform texts!
    Frauds wouldn't understand that you don't have to be an expert in cuneiform or any other written language to understand that trying to fill in blank sections is nothing but speculation of the worst sort.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      It isn't about translating the available text, it's the idea of thinking that they can fill in missing text just because they can read what is available.
      It is not about translating in my reference. It was about what the thread was referring to the completing missing text from damages ancient texts by comparing with more complete texts from the same period. As I said I take the Middle road and wait and see what they come up with concerning ancient Middle Eastern texts.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

It is not about translating in my reference. It was about what the thread was referring to the completing missing text from damages ancient texts by comparing with more complete texts from the same period. As I said I take the Middle road and wait and see what they come up with concerning ancient Middle Eastern texts.
        If you were to take a book and remove a couple of pages, do you really think you can reproduce the missing pages from the rest of the book? No. All you could do is to offer speculation.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Frauds wouldn't understand that you don't have to be an expert in cuneiform or any other written language to understand that trying to fill in blank sections is nothing but speculation of the worst sort.
          And of course the uniformed do so like to make emphatic comments on articles that they have not read in full.

As for your comment on filling in blank sections and offering "speculation of the worst sort", how do you imagine the lacunae in extant Hebrew [and to some extent Christian] texts are construed? Or in other situations where the text has been corrupted?

It is done by using comparative methods, which by their very nature, involve some degree of speculation.

Now [to use a line] write us all "a washing bill in Babylonic cuneiform..."
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

If you were to take a book and remove a couple of pages, do you really think you can reproduce the missing pages from the rest of the book? No. All you could do is to offer speculation.
            It's probably more like

If ___ were to __________ and remove a couple of pages, do _____ think you can reproduce the missing ________ rest of the book? No. All you could __________ speculation.

Comment

And of course the uniformed do so like to make emphatic comments on articles that they have not read in full.
              Oh the delicious unintended irony given your recent behavior

As for your comment on filling in blank sections and offering "speculation of the worst sort", how do you imagine the lacunae in extant Hebrew [and to some extent Christian] texts are construed? Or in other situations where the text has been corrupted?

It is done by using comparative methods, which by their very nature, involve some degree of speculation.

Now [to use a line] write us all "a washing bill in Babylonic cuneiform..."
              If you are talking about a missing word because of a hole, yes, that can be done to some degree. But you don't even need an AI to do it.

This appears to be talking about something missing a great deal more -- dealing with fragments.

Comment

If you are talking about a missing word because of a hole, yes,
                I am not.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                The things that you're liable
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life
                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

You only read the footnotes.
                  Almost never.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It is not a matter of removing some pages. It is restoring text within single damaged pages using other pages with more complete text.
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

It is not a matter of removing some pages. It is restoring text within single damaged pages using other pages with more complete text.
                      H_A appears to be saying it is more than that, and as I noted, for such minor additions, you really don't need AI to do it.

Comment

H_A appears to be saying it is more than that, and as I noted, for such minor additions, you really don't need AI to do it.
                        I do not believe that is yet the conclusion of using AI to resolve missing text. I is unlikely that it at present intends to resolve minor additions, which is being done now without AI, nor extrapolating reconstructing missing pages. The goals are likely somewhere in between.

Frank

Comment