Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Monty Python's "Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch" Found?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Speaking of killer rabbits, in related news:

“We’ll not risk another frontal assault. That rabbit’s dynamite!” declared Arthur, King of the Britons. For many Monty Python enthusiasts, the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog scene seemed like a non sequitur — yet the creators were playing on the very real madcap tradition of drawing killer rabbits in medieval manuscripts.

Who knew that Monty Python and the Holy Grail was so historically accurate?

Scrawled into the margins of these 14th century texts are images of rabbits riding lions, snails, mythical beasts, hapless humans, and even an occasional woodpecker. Other bas-de-page scenes depict sword-wielding rabbits mutilating knights and other poor citizens who had the misfortune of running across the murderous Leporids.

“Usually found in books made for the clergy, these illustrations — known as “marginalia” — were full of symbolism. Playful and subversive, they often thumbed the[ir] nose[s] at authority figures,” writes CNN.

Hey, when you live in the Middle Ages you gotta get your kicks somewhere.

The rabbits featured in the marginalia were no longer the hunted, they became the hunter — throwing down the proverbial gauntlet to any creature in its path.

Eq7GlXBVgAIHar0.jpg
    Have you forgotten how Jimmy Carter did battle with the killer rabbit?

And yes, the movie got a lot of things right. For instance the comical curse "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries" was legit. It meant your mother was a slut and your father a drunkard.
    Last edited by rogue06; 05-06-2022, 08:51 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Have you forgotten how Jimmy Carter did battle with the killer rabbit?

And yes, the movie got a lot of things right. For instance the comical curse "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries" was legit. It meant your mother was a slut and your father a drunkard.
      What about the Knights of Ni? Has anyone found any fossilized shrubberies?

Or a suit of armor without any arms or legs?

Comment

What about the Knights of Ni? Has anyone found any fossilized shrubberies?

Or a suit of armor without any arms or legs?
        Found some Medieval illustrations of a Knight who was hung, drawn and quartered. He was still in his armor when hung but that was long gone when they reached the point of ripping or hacking his limbs off.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Found some Medieval illustrations of a Knight who was hung, drawn and quartered. He was still in his armor when hung but that was long gone when they reached the point of ripping or hacking his limbs off.
          Did you find the illuminated manuscripts with knights fighting giant snails?

Is the squirrel an interested by-stander?

And of course the aggressive rabbits with one playing the bagpipes while his fellows attack a human. Is one of them biting his thumb as Sampson does in Act One Scene One of Romeo and Juliet?

And at least one mounted on a hound.

I heard a fascinating documentary on the BBC several years ago about the doodlings in the margins of illuminated MSS and what they may represent.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Did you find the illuminated manuscripts with knights fighting giant snails?

Is the squirrel an interested by-stander?

And of course the aggressive rabbits with one playing the bagpipes while his fellows attack a human. Is one of them biting his thumb as Sampson does in Act One Scene One of Romeo and Juliet?

And at least one mounted on a hound.

I heard a fascinating documentary on the BBC several years ago about the doodlings in the margins of illuminated MSS and what they may represent.
            Those medieval margin illustrations are known as drolleries with websites dedicated to various types. Here are a few more rabbits

Basically, rabbits were symbols of timidity and apparently it was hilarious to see them acting war-like and defeating humans.

There are all sorts of such odd drolleries, many depicting grotesque chimera-like monstrosities and others being quite ribald.

I'm not sure if you remember the "butt trumpets" from the movie (part of Terry Gilliam's artistic contributions), but (no pun intended), they were also common as well -- with a webpage dedicated to the topic. I'll note that some have been turned into GIFs

Comment

Those medieval margin illustrations are known as drolleries with websites dedicated to various types. Here are a few more rabbits

Basically, rabbits were symbols of timidity and apparently it was hilarious to see them acting war-like and defeating humans.

There are all sorts of such odd drolleries, many depicting grotesque chimera-like monstrosities and others being quite ribald.

I'm not sure if you remember the "butt trumpets" from the movie (part of Terry Gilliam's artistic contributions), but (no pun intended), they were also common as well -- with a webpage dedicated to the topic. I'll note that some have been turned into GIFs
              I remember the term from the documentary, but what did they mean? Was it scribal boredom? Or did they partake of the wrong mushrooms? I suspect, as was mentioned in the documentary, a degree of satire towards, and criticism of, the church.
              Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 05-06-2022, 05:31 PM.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                I remember the term from the documentary, but what did they mean? Was it scribal boredom? Or did they partake of the wrong mushrooms? I suspect, as was mentioned in the documentary, a degree of satire towards, and criticism of, the church.
                Such things often poke fun at the authorities, whether civil or religious. Others are allusions to (then) popular proverbs and stories. In a way, sort of like the Brueghel's paintings, with virtually everything having an underlying meaning -- but on mushrooms

I remember something about one-legged barbers also being common in drolleries, and there was a popular joke attached to it but

Comment

Kill the wabbit!

Comment

Kill the wabbit!
                    Especially them killer swamp wabbits that attackinate presidents.

As for the Kill the Wabbit reference...

Most of the classical and operatic music our generation
                    knows comes from Looney Tunes parodies

Comment