Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Huge underground city found in Southeastern Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge underground city found in Southeastern Turkey

An article in the Jerusalem Post:

Source: Archaeological dig in Turkey uncovers massive underground city

The researchers believe the underground city may be the largest in the world

Numerous artifacts from the second and third centuries CE were discovered in an underground city in Mardin, Turkey, The Daily Sabah reported on Tuesday.

According to Ancient Origins, the researchers believe the underground Turkish city may be the largest in the world.

During excavations in the Midyat district, a cave was discovered containing passageways and corridors, silos, water wells and places of worship, the report added.

Gani Tarkan, director of the Mardin Museum, who heads the excavations, said that while similar underground cities have been uncovered in Anatolia, the city in Midyat is completely different, The Daily Sabah added.

"Midyat has been used uninterruptedly for 1,900 years. It was first built as a hiding place or escape area," he said. "As it is known, Christianity was not an official religion in the second century.

"Families and groups who accepted Christianity generally took shelter in underground cities to escape the persecution of Rome or formed an underground city," Tarkan added. "Possibly, the underground city of Midyat was one of the living spaces built for this purpose. It is an area where we estimate that at least 60-70,000 people lived underground."

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

More context here. The above-ground city was established circa 900 BCE. Apparently only an estimated 3% of the underground city has been excavated, and the artifacts recovered have been from the 2nd and 3rd centuries CE - meaning that it was abandoned after that. Tarkan's assertion that it has been used uninterruptedly for 1900 years doesn't seem to comport with the evidence. I'm also not sure that his subsequent quote in the OP is generally accepted either, but it correlates with the lack of use once Christianity became officially tolerated; it would also mean that Christianity was rather more common than has been thought.

Here is the link to the original story in the Daily Sabah.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      More context here. The above-ground city was established circa 900 BCE. Apparently only an estimated 3% of the underground city has been excavated, and the artifacts recovered have been from the 2nd and 3rd centuries CE - meaning that it was abandoned after that. Tarkan's assertion that it has been used uninterruptedly for 1900 years doesn't seem to comport with the evidence. I'm also not sure that his subsequent quote in the OP is generally accepted either, but it correlates with the lack of use once Christianity became officially tolerated; it would also mean that Christianity was rather more common than has been thought.

Here is the link to the original story in the Daily Sabah.
      Over the years it seems that every time I've read a report about one of these ancient underground cities being discovered that it is fraught with exaggerations

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment