Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Asteroid strike offers a feasible explanation for Biblical story of Sodom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

You said in this post

https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...00#post1307200

That says that YOU said that the article said, "an ancient city". You are being obtuse. And here we go again with ducking and dodging on your part.

If it was an unnamed ancient city then that should have been the title of the thread. Not your editorializing on what city it might have been.
    The article headline used that Biblical name. The city that has been excavated is not un-named, it is now known as Tall el-Hammam.

And the article notes that "It’s possible that an oral description of the city’s destruction may have been handed down for generations until it was recorded as the story of Biblical Sodom. " Note the qualification.

Headlines are often written to attract attention. Hence the article's use of the word "Sodom" with which most of its readership will have some passing familiarity.

I am so deeply sorry if you are offended.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

The map that I posted shows both northern (black dots) and southern (blue diamonds) postulated locations for Sodom and Gomorrah on the eastern side of the Dead Sea, but I haven't found anything that shows them on the west.
      Like the non-existent one I too remember as a young'un seeing maps with S&G located on the southwestern part of the Dead Sea but dom't see any now.

Must be the Mandela effect

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

The map that I posted shows both northern (black dots) and southern (blue diamonds) postulated locations for Sodom and Gomorrah on the eastern side of the Dead Sea, but I haven't found anything that shows them on the west.
        Mount Sodom is to the southwest, and it was what I was looking at when I wrote the earlier post based on vague recollections. I wasn't aware that the proposed southern cluster of cities was east of Mount Sodom, or that their destruction was dated to the early Bronze age which doesn't work for me, at all. I note the proposed southern cluster is similarly distant from TeH.

The northern cluster has all of the advantages, from time-frame to the river resources in the Jordan valley. The asteroid strike has claimed another victim, it seems.

I see the Abraham epic archetype, or simply Abraham, for brevity, dispersing from Ur after the final collapse of the Sumerian empire, consequently abandoning the city's pantheon of tutelary deities in favor of a single deity, making it easier to pack up and travel. Abraham had had enough of divine diversity.

It should be further noted that at the time, Egypt held sovereignty over the lands between the Jordan and the Mediterranean that would later become the lands of Israel, and hence, that a migration to Egypt didn't actually require crossing into Africa. Such a physical separation, while remaining true to being "in Egypt," aligns with the qualitative inadequacies in the related Egyptian-based histories.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
          It wasn't.
          And yet your OP title tries to make that connection and so does the article:
          It’s possible that an oral description of the city’s destruction may have been handed down for generations until it was recorded as the story of Biblical Sodom.

If this has nothing to do with Sodom then this thread and that article are complete non-sequiturs.
          Firstly, the archaeologist who wrote the article is not "my guy" and secondly the survey confirms an asteroid strike on an ancient city. There is no sign telling us "Here Lie the Ruins of Sodom"
          And yet he makes that association as did you when you posted the article here.

We know that there are attested historical events recorded in the various Hebrew texts. However, those events do not "confirm" everything else in the Bible.

What this archaeological evidence shows is that a folktale in Genesis appears to have some echo of a real event. It does not follow that the narrative in Genesis is accurate in all its details.
          I never claimed it was "accurate in all its details" did I? I said it recorded a historical event. You have no way to show the details it recorded are accurate or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            And yet your OP title tries to make that connection and so does the article:
            It’s possible that an oral description of the city’s destruction may have been handed down for generations until it was recorded as the story of Biblical Sodom.
            Note the qualification.

If this has nothing to do with Sodom then this thread and that article are complete non-sequiturs.
            The archaeological dig occurs in the region where this city was supposedly destroyed by divine wrath. Clearly an ancient city was destroyed by a natural phenomenon and that may have been the basis for the later embellished account we find in Genesis of divine punishment being meted out to the peoples of the cities of the plain.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Note the qualification.

The archaeological dig occurs in the region where this city was supposedly destroyed by divine wrath. Clearly an ancient city was destroyed by a natural phenomenon and that may have been the basis for the later embellished account we find in Genesis of divine punishment being meted out to the peoples of the cities of the plain.
              I prefer the term "repurposed."

Pending further information, the only citations we've seen so far that place the pentapolis in the area of the strike are based on the research surrounding this asteroid strike, requiring a substantial geographic relocation from previous estimates. But as I've said already, it's clear to me this strike would have been widely known in the region, including the destruction of the capital city of a prosperous kingdom. It's inconceivable to me that this story would not have circulated widely, in one form or another. This is well within the historical period when written records were common, so I would not be surprised to find alternative versions show up in further archaeological research.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Like the non-existent one I too remember as a young'un seeing maps with S&G located on the southwestern part of the Dead Sea but dom't see any now.

Must be the Mandela effect
                I, for one, welcome our reptilian hybrid time-traveling and history-rewriting alien overlords.

Comment

Note the qualification.

So I was correct then, when I said, "if the city was Sodom, then it confirms the bible"

Seems like they do believe it could be the city and event that the bible is writing about after all. And you have no evidence that it was "embellished" that is just your spin on it. Could be entirely accurate.

Comment

So I was correct then, when I said, "if the city was Sodom, then it confirms the bible"

Seems like they do believe it could be the city and event that the bible is writing about after all. And you have no evidence that it was "embellished" that is just your spin on it. Could be entirely accurate.
                    The interesting point of the Biblical story is that it points more to a divine decision to not spare the cities rather than a decision to destroy them.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

It is an ancient city. The narrative details of the bible story are folklore, possibly premised on an event handed down via oral tradition.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

I prefer the term "repurposed."

Pending further information, the only citations we've seen so far that place the pentapolis in the area of the strike are based on the research surrounding this asteroid strike, requiring a substantial geographic relocation from previous estimates. But as I've said already, it's clear to me this strike would have been widely known in the region, including the destruction of the capital city of a prosperous kingdom. It's inconceivable to me that this story would not have circulated widely, in one form or another. This is well within the historical period when written records were common, so I would not be surprised to find alternative versions show up in further archaeological research.
                        I am looking through any literature to see if any other civilisations in the region record that particular phenomenon. You might contact Irving Finkel again and see if he knows anything.

As previously noted a cuneiform clay tablet is now believed to describe an asteroid impact in 3123 BCE in what is now Austria.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

It is an ancient city. The narrative details of the bible story are folklore, possibly premised on an event handed down via oral tradition.
                          That's your opinion.

Comment

That's your opinion.
                            It is a fact that this site was once an ancient city which was hit by an asteroid.

"It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

It is a fact that this site was once an ancient city which was hit by an asteroid.
                              This site is not an ancient city. It's an internet discussion forum.

Comment

This site is not an ancient city. It's an internet discussion forum.
                                Your comments are duly noted for precisely what they are.
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment