Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Asteroid strike offers a feasible explanation for Biblical story of Sodom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

(Your second ref is to the same strike as the o/p, 3700 yrs ago, not 3700 BCE.)
    You are corrrrr... You're coooorr... Corrrr... You are not wrong about the dating. And the article states that more than once.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Then why in the world did you specify Sodom in the title of this thread?

Because that was the word used in the article whose title I adapted for the thread.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Because that was the word used in the article whose title I adapted for the thread.
        You said in this post

https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...00#post1307200

he archaeologist who wrote the article is not "my guy" and secondly the survey confirms an asteroid strike on an ancient city. There is no sign telling us "Here Lie the Ruins of Sodom"
        That says that YOU said that the article said, "an ancient city". You are being obtuse. And here we go again with ducking and dodging on your part.

If it was an unnamed ancient city then that should have been the title of the thread. Not your editorializing on what city it might have been.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-97778-3

Near as I can tell, the detail puts it in the right location for Sodom or Gomorrah (not much to go on really, just that they were not far from the dead sea).
          A second city would need to be found that had suffered a similar (or near similar) fate in the same time frame to clinch it. That, or perhaps a sign saying "Welcome to Sodom" or some-such.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Given that data - I'll have to accept that the Bible chronology is possibly more accurate than I had believed - which also would indicate the a lot of other things might be more accurate than I had thought, too.
            I have always thought that anything before Moses was questionable.
            There's good reason, in my opinion, to consider the Egyptian- and Mesopotamian-derived histories separately. I find the Egyptian-derived histories more suspect, starting with the lack of a name for the Mosaic pharoah, and the lack of an actual name for Moses, from my point of view. Where Ra-meses is the "son of Ra," Moses is simply the "son of" ... an unnamed God, in my reading.

In contrast, the Mesopotamian-derived histories use names with cognates we can follow back to their origins thousands of years earlier. More evidence in line with my working theory, that the Israelite exit from Egypt was actually an Egyptian exit from the lands of Israel, part of the general Mediterranean collapse of the 13th century BCE. The flood story is Mesopotamian. Tammuz, for whom the ancient Israelites wept, derives from the Akkadian Tammuzi, which comes from Dumuzid, the fifth antediluvian king in the ancient Sumerian King List.

The Mesopotamian-derived histories are far more robust, with a continuity that goes back more than a thousand years earlier than the Egyptian-derived histories.

Comment

... Ur II ..
              ^ Ur III ... I'm going to blame autocorrect, and Mossy.

Comment

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-97778-3

Near as I can tell, the detail puts it in the right location for Sodom or Gomorrah (not much to go on really, just that they were not far from the dead sea).
                A second city would need to be found that had suffered a similar (or near similar) fate in the same time frame to clinch it. That, or perhaps a sign saying "Welcome to Sodom" or some-such.
                I really haven't studied this closely enough, but as above, I'm fairly sure the references I've seen always place a reputed Sodom on the other side of the Dead Sea, to the southwest. TeH is to the northeast.

Comment

Um. You mean Jaltus. Right?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

The mathemagician has yet another problem with numbers

Of course nothing of the same magnitude as the last.

Since maths is of tha debil, I expected more of a backlash when you messed up your incantation there. You know. Like what happens when one of ya'll try to divide by zero

I mean SOMETHING shoulda happened. Irrational numbers suddenly became rational. Imaginary numbers became real. Something.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I really haven't studied this closely enough, but as above, I'm fairly sure the references I've seen always place a reputed Sodom on the other side of the Dead Sea, to the southwest. TeH is to the northeast.
                      Opposed schools of thought. The map below shows the proposed locations
                      https://smyrnaean.blogspot.com/2014/...thern-and.html

5 Cities.jpg

Further information at https://www.defendingthechristianfai...chaeology.html (the map at least is interesting)
                      Last edited by tabibito; 09-23-2021, 07:55 PM.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Um. You mean Jaltus. Right?

We are all Jaltus.

Comment

We are all Jaltus.

That's not what I heard!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            The mathemagician has yet another problem with numbers
                            This one was an actual typo. Didn't notice until it was quoted.

Of course nothing of the same magnitude as the last.
                            Sometimes, you have to rest on your laurels.

Since maths is of tha debil, I expected more of a backlash when you messed up your incantation there. You know. Like what happens when one of ya'll try to divide by zero
                            Ya mean, like this?

dy/dx = lim (∆x->0) ∆y/∆x

I mean SOMETHING shoulda happened. Irrational numbers suddenly became rational ...
                            (√2)^2

... Imaginary numbers became real. Something.
                            i^2

Come on, ask me a hard one, like how to make a transcendental number rational.

Comment

Opposed schools of thought. The map below shows the proposed locations
                              https://smyrnaean.blogspot.com/2014/...thern-and.html

Further information at https://www.defendingthechristianfai...chaeology.html (the map at least is interesting)
                              Both of these explicitly reference the TeH site, based on earlier papers on the digs, making their opposing school little more than the observations I'm making myself. If the biblical tale is based on the TeH asteroid strike, then the cities of the plane must be clustered around TeH.

Comment

Both of these explicitly reference the TeH site, based on earlier papers on the digs, making their opposing school little more than the observations I'm making myself. If the biblical tale is based on the TeH asteroid strike, then the cities of the plane must be clustered around TeH.
                                The map that I posted shows both northern (black dots) and southern (blue diamonds) postulated locations for Sodom and Gomorrah on the eastern side of the Dead Sea, but I haven't found anything that shows them on the west.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment