Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Giant Marble Cross Found in N. Pakistan Hints of Christianity’s Early Presence There

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Hence my use of a lower case "p" in my reply at post #12. Given your response to me at post #15 it would appear you do not recognise irony when it is directed against you.
    I've written you off as an arrogant nutter constantly trying to sound more intelligent than she is, so forgive me if I don't pay a whole lot of attention to what you say.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Some Baptists (though not Southern Baptists) hold that Baptists go back to Apostolic times and even to the time of Christ (seeing their origins in John the Baptist's followers who became Christians), although FWIU not necessarily that there's been a Baptist Church since then. And the large percent of Baptists who don't regard themselves as Protestants do so because they sort of regard themselves as protesting against the Reformation churches as well as the RCC and hence not part of the Reformation Protestant churches. The fact that they were persecuted by both sort of cemented that view.

Me older little twin brudder from anudder mudder can likely explain this better since he is a Southern Baptist preacher.
      Yeah, it's certainly not the hill I want to die on --- I know people who go to great lengths to try to show a continuous bloodline back to the early Church for Baptists.
      Doesn't really matter to me, since my main focus is "Christian", and we have no doubt that they (we) go back to the Cross.
      In the nearly seven decades I've been on the planet, I could probably count on my bad hand how many times I've had to defend "not being Protestant".

I think the main point (I really can't remember the last time I was in a discussion about this) was that there was "Christianity" from the beginning, and a huge swath of that formalized into "Catholicism".
      Many others did not. Baptists

Here's an interesting article - Are Baptist Protestants?

Other articles answer the question like "yes and no" or "yes, but..."
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Regardless, it was birdbrained ditzy to assume I'd even THINK about proclaiming the cross in question as "protestant" OR "Protestant".

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
          We understand that early Christians practised full emersion...
          Immersion - very important to the point of baptism. Emersion would be coming out of - Immersion is being fully submerged in.

Kinda like emigration and immigration.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Immersion - very important to the point of baptism. Emersion would be coming out of - Immersion is being fully submerged in.

Kinda like emigration and immigration.
            Yeah, they have to come up for air some time.
            When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post

Yeah, they have to come up for air some time.
              Wait, I have it WRONG????
              I was told "hold them under til they bubble.... then keep holding them under til they stop". That's not right?

Comment

Wait, I have it WRONG????
                I was told "hold them under til they bubble.... then keep holding them under til they stop". That's not right?
                You will lose more prospective church members that way.
                When I Survey....

Comment

You will lose more prospective church members that way.
                  Well, yeah, ya got a point! I can say, however, that after FIVE DECADES in the ministry, I've never lost one yet!

(Even as I kid about that, I think gravely about a pastor friend in Waco, Texas who was electrocuted in the baptistry when he touched the microphone while standing in the water )

Comment

Well, yeah, ya got a point! I can say, however, that after FIVE DECADES in the ministry, I've never lost one yet!

(Even as I kid about that, I think gravely about a pastor friend in Waco, Texas who was electrocuted in the baptistry when he touched the microphone while standing in the water )
                    Several years ago I read about a tragic account. There was a Hallowe'en party inside a Baptist Church. Part of the activity was walking across a plank laid out above the baptismal pool. Below the plank was a person who was supposed to reach up and grab their ankles. The pool was filled with dry ice gas (carbon dioxide) to hide the person in the pool. He suffocated.
                    When I Survey....

Comment

Several years ago I read about a tragic account. There was a Hallowe'en party inside a Baptist Church. Part of the activity was walking across a plank laid out above the baptismal pool. Below the plank was a person who was supposed to reach up and grab their ankles. The pool was filled with dry ice gas (carbon dioxide) to hide the person in the pool. He suffocated.
                      You got me at "Hallowe'en party inside a Baptist Church" For REAL?

Comment

You got me at "Hallowe'en party inside a Baptist Church" For REAL?
                        That was my first thought, too!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

That was my first thought, too!
                          We have had "alternate" parties at our Church that were purposely NOT demonic or satanic or scary themed - but gave kids a place to be to NOT do those other parties.

Comment

We have had "alternate" parties at our Church that were purposely NOT demonic or satanic or scary themed - but gave kids a place to be to NOT do those other parties.
                            Some churches think they have to be like the world in order to attract people. Wrong thinking, for sure.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I still can't get over nobody realizing that putting someone into a sunken area (baptismal pool) filled with CO2 was a very bad idea.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                I still can't get over nobody realizing that putting someone into a sunken area (baptismal pool) filled with CO2 was a very bad idea.
                                Years ago, a deacon friend and I decided to paint the inside of the baptistry. The required paint was swimming pool paint, which tended to be a bit fumacious. (yes, that's a word)
                                As we began to realize that the fumes were laying low, and we were at risk of being overcome, Darren asked me in a rather sleepy sounding voice....
                                "think maybe I should float on over to the fire station next door and borrow an exhaust fan?"

(I've actually of people dying in such a manner while painting the inside of railroad tank cars without adequate ventilation)

Comment