Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Giant Marble Cross Found in N. Pakistan Hints of Christianity’s Early Presence There

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    The default response.
    Nope.

Do you hold the same view for any contributor who displays a degree of expertise on a particular topic?

Or do you reserve it solely for female contributors who do so?
    Nope - just the incredibly arrogant ones - male or female. And not just a "degree of expertise", but a full blown know-it-all.

I think you're just good at Googling.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Aaaaand once again she falls back on her trope that criticizing her is the result of sexism
      Too bad she's not black - then it could be racism, as well!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And whining on about unrelated matters when you get called out for something is your forte.
        You are the one who has failed to substantiate allegations.

You abruptly departed from the Masada thread and you have yet to provide any corroborative evidence for your claims regarding the apostle Thomas visiting India and those "earlier documented visitations" concerning Christians in China that apparently contradict the "many sources.

What I wrote re my own qualifications is based on several academic degrees and a lifetime "in the business" as it were. The history and origins of early Christianity and its contemporary setting within the ancient Roman world is a secondary area of interest that I have pursued for the last fifteen years or so.

I have yet to see you actually provide a citation from a single academic work. Your information [as shown] is always Googled. And you still get your facts wrong.
        Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 12-31-2020, 10:59 AM.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I think you're just good at Googling.
          Well you think a three day old corpse got, walked around for a bit, and then cooked a barbie on the beach for his mates.

Too bad she's not black
          How do you know? Or do you think all present day Germans are white Europeans?
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Well you think a three day old corpse got, walked around for a bit, and then cooked a barbie on the beach for his mates.
            Ah, so you've gone from the intellectual know-it-all to the low road of mocking. I knew the real you would come out.

How do you know? Or do you think all present day Germans are white Europeans?
            It's a logical assumption which you are free to dispute --- you're playing the sexist card, not the racist one. You must not be black.

Comment

Ah, so you've gone from the intellectual know-it-all to the low road of mocking. I knew the real you would come out.
              You surely know the saying? If you cannot take it - do not hand it out!

It's a logical assumption
              There is nothing logical about it all. It is an assumption though. Nor am I playing any sexist card - I asked a question.

However, I suspect [based on experience] that I know why you made the comment that you did and my experience has nothing to do with my sex, nationality, race, or ethnicity.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You surely know the saying? If you cannot take it - do not hand it out!

You're cute.

There is nothing logical about it all. It is an assumption though. Nor am I playing any sexist card - I asked a question.
                What's the purpose of the question? To imply that the only reason anybody picks on you is because you're a girl.

However, I suspect [based on experience] that I know why you made the comment that you did and my experience has nothing to do with my sex, nationality, race, or ethnicity.
                So, drop the "because I'm female" crap.
                Or do you reserve it solely for female contributors who do so?

Comment

You are the one who has failed to substantiate allegations.

You abruptly departed from the Masada thread and you have yet to provide any corroborative evidence for your claims regarding the apostle Thomas visiting India and those "earlier documented visitations" concerning Christians in China that apparently contradict the "many sources.

What I wrote re my own qualifications is based on several academic degrees and a lifetime "in the business" as it were. The history and origins of early Christianity and its contemporary setting within the ancient Roman world is a secondary area of interest that I have pursued for the last fifteen years or so.

I have yet to see you actually provide a citation from a single academic work. Your information [as shown] is always Googled. And you still get your facts wrong.
                  Just like on the thread about crucifixion I kept providing source after source after source, some top level scholars and some merely to show how matter-of-factly and universally the points I was making were regarded. OTOH, you simply tied to hand wave them off, even trying to find ways to disparage some who were considered leading experts in the field, and almost never offering sources to refute mine. All you would keep doing is repeating that you were right and I along with everyone was wrong. I guess you couldn't Google up any contrary sources to support your contention because for someone claiming multiple degrees you sure don't demonstrate it in the slightest.

Anywho... after going round and round like that, with as I said, my offering multiple sources and you summarily dismissing them based on your opinion and little else, I believed I had made my point and it was time to let those who looked over the threads decide for themselves who supported their point and who just kept going "nuh-uh."

And I have provided many sources to support that Christians had been in both India and China before the Fall of Rome (whichever date you choose) -- which was my point since JH implied such travels took place after that. Again, I'll let those who look over the thread be the judge of that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

I am over-awed at your brilliant riposte. Well worthy of some who boasts of having earned several degrees. I mean the way you marshalled your evidence in support of your view, then laid it out in such logical order and finally presented it in such an intelligent, rational delivery that simply overwhelmed any and all opportunity for rebuttal.

Yup. The mark of a true scholar.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

:
                      You're cute.
                      Now that might be construed as sexist, unless of course you use the same word to describe your male correspondents like Bill the Cat, rogue06, or Sparko. All of whom identify as male.

:What's the purpose of the question?
                      Given that there are several [to my knowledge] contributors who clearly are qualified in their respective fields [based on what they write] do you also think that they are simply "just good at Googling"? If not, why not?

Furthermore, on what evidence from my posts are you making that allegation about me? Or is it mere prejudice on your part?

"It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Now that might be construed as sexist, unless of course you use the same word to describe your male correspondents like Bill the Cat, rogue06, or Sparko. All of whom identify as male.
                        Me? I'm obviously suave, debonair and devastatingly handsome -- just like I keep telling everyone.

Comment

You're so cute.

Given that there are several [to my knowledge] contributors who clearly are qualified in their respective fields [based on what they write] do you also think that they are simply "just good at Googling"? If not, why not?

Furthermore, on what evidence from my posts are you making that allegation about me? Or is it mere prejudice on your part?
                          Just a feeling, having spent a lot of time on this board, and life in general, and seeing people like you come and go.

And, let's be clear, I don't think it's ONLY Googling --- I think you're a classic example of somebody who has a whole lot of book-learning, and just loves to show it off.

Comment

Me? I'm obviously suave, debonair and devastatingly handsome -- just like I keep telling everyone.
                            Well there is a modicum of wit in that reply.

However, I note you still have not substantiated your contention; although I suspect this will be another "found better things to do" moment for you.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Well there is a modicum of wit in that reply.
                              Just goes to show that I'm not entirely witless.

However, I note you still have not substantiated your contention; although I suspect this will be another "found better things to do" moment for you.
                              Something tells me that throughout your life numerous people have told you something similar, that they have better things to do than to have anything more to do with you, which is why you are obviously so hung up on it.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06
                                Something tells me that throughout your life numerous people have told you something similar, that they have better things to do than to have anything more to do with you, which is why you are obviously so hung up on it.
                                Your repeated failure to substantiate your allegation is part of the MO of a poseur who affects a knowledge of history but hasn't any.
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment