Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Giant Marble Cross Found in N. Pakistan Hints of Christianity’s Early Presence There

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Immersion - very important to the point of baptism. Emersion would be coming out of - Immersion is being fully submerged in.

Kinda like emigration and immigration.
    Yes indeed you are quite correct - the words "Hamlet", "hoist "and "petard" come to mind.

"It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I've written you off as an arrogant nutter constantly trying to sound more intelligent than she is, so forgive me if I don't pay a whole lot of attention to what you say.
      And my very best wishes for 2021 to you as well.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
        We understand that early Christians practised full emersion but that has little relevance to the beliefs of an early seventeenth century protestant sect that split from other protesting/dissenting sects. The various movements that arouse out of the protests in the early sixteenth century have been splitting ever since over disagreements and disputations concerning translations and interpretations. The Monty Python team perfectly summed this up in The Life of Brian.
        Corrigendum: full emersion should read full immersion.

Spelling error pointed out by Cow Poke and duly corrected by H_A..
        Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 12-29-2020, 03:56 AM.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Yes indeed you are quite correct - the words "Hamlet", "hoist "and "petard" come to mind.
          No prob.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And my very best wishes for 2021 to you as well.
            I can (and do) wish you well, even though I think you're a bit of a stretch.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I can (and do) wish you well, even though I think you're a bit of a stretch.
              Coming after writing a sentence describing me as "an arrogant nutter constantly trying to sound more intelligent than she is" the above remark might be considered somewhat disingenuous, Even the wink wink emoticon accompanying it has more than one interpretation.

As I wrote to you on another thread, with regard to the discipline of history I know a great more than most of the contributors to these boards.

That is a fact.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Coming after writing a sentence describing me as "an arrogant nutter constantly trying to sound more intelligent than she is" the above remark might be considered somewhat disingenuous, Even the wink wink emoticon accompanying it has more than one interpretation.

As I wrote to you on another thread, with regard to the discipline of history I know a great more than most of the contributors to these boards.

That is a fact.
                Tsk, tsk. Now you have to give your "Most Humble Pedant" button back.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Coming after writing a sentence describing me as "an arrogant nutter constantly trying to sound more intelligent than she is"
                  I might soften the "nutter" just a wee bit.

the above remark might be considered somewhat disingenuous,
                  Maybe a tiny tad.

Even the wink wink emoticon accompanying it has more than one interpretation.
                  I had something in my eye.

That is a fact.
                  I think you're just good at Googling.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Tsk, tsk. Now you have to give your "Most Humble Pedant" button back.

And a happy New Year to you.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I think you're just good at Googling.
                      The default response. Do you hold the same view for any contributor who displays a degree of expertise on a particular topic?

Or do you reserve it solely for female contributors who do so?

"It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The default response. Do you hold the same view for any contributor who displays a degree of expertise on a particular topic?

Or do you reserve it solely for female contributors who do so?
                        Aaaaand once again she falls back on her trope that criticizing her is the result of sexism

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Aaaaand once again she falls back on her trope that criticizing her is the result of sexism
                          Well I know from my exchanges with you that you are a frequent net trawler who still manages to get his facts wrong. Your latest gaffe being your comment concerning the fall of the western Roman empire where you incorrectly alleged that "Traditionally, the date is 395 A.D". I remind you again that the accepted date is 476 CE with the forced abdication of Romulus Augustulus to Odoacer.

You also go into radio silence whenever you are called upon to substantiate your allegations. Hence I am still waiting for you to supply evidence to support your statement re the apostle Thomas that "the fact he went to India is pretty well established" along with your contention that there are "earlier documented visitations" concerning Christians in China that apparently contradict the "many sources".

Making erroneous as well as unsupported claims seems to be your forte.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Well I know from my exchanges with you that you are a frequent net trawler who still manages to get his facts wrong. Your latest gaffe being your comment concerning the fall of the western Roman empire where you incorrectly alleged that "Traditionally, the date is 395 A.D". I remind you again that the accepted date is 476 CE with the forced abdication of Romulus Augustulus to Odoacer.

You also go into radio silence whenever you are called upon to substantiate your allegations. Hence I am still waiting for you to supply evidence to support your statement re the apostle Thomas that "the fact he went to India is pretty well established" along with your contention that there are "earlier documented visitations" concerning Christians in China that apparently contradict the "many sources".

Making erroneous as well as unsupported claims seems to be your forte.
                            And whining on about unrelated matters when you get called out for something is your forte.

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

how very female of you

The fact is this is hardly the first time that you've fallen back to accusing someone of being sexist when they have criticized you. Deal with it.

And while that was the date ascribed by Gibbon, a large number of dates have been proposed including what was called the Imperial Crisis (235–284 A.D.), the aforementioned 395 A.D., and the Vandal invasion on New Years Eve 406 A.D. And those aren't the only ones suggested. So your smug assertion that 476 A.D. is hardly the "accepted date" any more than the others.

Btw, I've planned on addressing your attempted rebuttal after the New Year. It's just hasn't been high on my list of priorities.

ETA: And I just found this a few minutes ago And yes, there is nothing wrong with using Google to check up on something. The issue is relying on it for your information and then presenting yourself as an expert and bragging that

That is a fact.

That is the very definition of a Google scholar.

Last edited by rogue06; 12-31-2020, 08:48 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I think the main point (I really can't remember the last time I was in a discussion about this) was that there was "Christianity" from the beginning, and a huge swath of that formalized into "Catholicism".
                              Many others did not. Baptists
                              The problem I had with that - as a Baptist - is that a) "Many others" appears to be a reach and 2) the ones that didn't, when their beliefs are examined, turn out to be nowhere close to "Baptist".
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                The problem I had with that - as a Baptist - is that a) "Many others" appears to be a reach and 2) the ones that didn't, when their beliefs are examined, turn out to be nowhere close to "Baptist".
                                Yes, sir, which is why I don't make a big deal of it.

Comment