Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Jesus' childhood home discovered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Hardly a question that anyone would take as a serious one. As carping, yes. A serious question, no.

But since you've at least feigned curiosity, it is part of my own effort to include more posts on theological matters or Christians and Christianity in general here at THEOLOGYweb. These include posts like

https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...-walter-hooper

https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e5#post1215026

https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...80#post1214914

https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e7#post1214311 (along with #201)

My posts in this thread but primarily #5:
    https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...d-the-big-rock

And even, to a much less extent, including it in humor sections:
    https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...79#post1214403

As well as a few in sections that you aren't privy to.

And what does any of this signify? What relevance has C S Lewis have to an allegation concerning a first century dwelling being the possible home of Jesus of Nazareth? Did Ken Dark go through a wardrobe?
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Actually, for famous people in the Roman world, there are plenty of contemporary accounts.
      Jesus is more in the category of someone like a contemporary of his, Apollonius of Tyana, a wandering philosopher, who travelled over much of the Empire with his disciples, also visiting Ethiopia, Mesopotamia, and maybe even India. He was also believed to be born of a virgin, performed miracles, healed the sick, cast out demons, raised the dead, and was worshiped as divine. Much better known than Jesus for some centuries, he met with many famous people, including the Emperor Domitian, and lived into his eighties, when he was raised to heaven (reportedly). But wandering philosophers like him, or Jesus, tended not to get written about at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

And what does any of this signify? What relevance has C S Lewis have to an allegation concerning a first century dwelling being the possible home of Jesus of Nazareth? Did Ken Dark go through a wardrobe?
        I wanted to add after reading the references carefully I could easily conclude that no this is not the home of Jesus. Only evidence is the general location and being dated to the time of Jesus.

It is a rather extravagant 2-story house likely for a merchant class, or government official, which was able to survive the ravages of time. Jesus is described to be of very humble origins, which do not reflect such a large two story dwelling.

Wishful thinking does not produce the home of Jesus.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

My aren't we dense today. What part of "it is part of my own effort to include more posts on theological matters or Christians and Christianity in general here at THEOLOGYweb" is so difficult to understand? It wasn't a long post. Kind of hard to miss.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

My aren't we dense today. What part of "it is part of my own effort to include more posts on theological matters or Christians and Christianity in general here at THEOLOGYweb" is so difficult to understand?
            I am not interested in your efforts.

I asked you a question, namely, do you have a serious point to make with regard to this first century dwelling? All this nonsense you have posted links for is entirely irrelevant.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I am not interested in your efforts.

I asked you a question, namely, do you have a serious point to make with regard to this first century dwelling? All this nonsense you have posted links for is entirely irrelevant.
              Ya know, there's nothing terribly wrong with just posting something for civil discussion, without it needing to turn into some deep theological debate.

Some things are good for just "hmmm, that's interesting". That's clearly what Rogue intended when posting this.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Another piece on Dark's claim of having located Jesus' childhood home -- in Popular Mechanics of all places, which allows you to vote on it. Currently it is 51% for "Sure why not? He was a real guy, after all" and 49% "I doubt it."
                Figured I'd take a peek at the results so far. Currently 54% to 46%
                Last edited by rogue06; 12-18-2020, 12:33 PM. Reason: restored post after accidentally posting over it making post #49

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Ya know, there's nothing terribly wrong with just posting something for civil discussion, without it needing to turn into some deep theological debate.

Some things are good for just "hmmm, that's interesting". That's clearly what Rogue intended when posting this.
                  Why did he make post #24? To what end and for what purpose did he submit a post he has clearly lately Googled?

What have later Christian traditions and beliefs to do with the discipline of archaeology? Has he read the Acts of John?

"It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Why did he make post #24? To what end and for what purpose did he submit a post he has clearly lately Googled?

What have later Christian traditions and beliefs to do with the discipline of archaeology? Has he read the Acts of John?
                    Actually I was reading an article on the matter which got me thunkinating about this thread.

Comment

Actually he was reading an article on the matter which got him thunkinating about this thread.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Actually he was reading an article on the matter which got him thunkinating about this thread.
                        It would appear rogue06 has found a playmate.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Figured I'd take a peek at the results so far. Currently 54% to 46%
                          And?
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

And?
                            A simple update out of curiosity. Why must there be an "and"?

Comment

A simple update out of curiosity. Why must there be an "and"?
                              What update? Were you having a Joycean moment?
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

What update? Were you having a Joycean moment?
                                Considering that I mentioned this in the post that has you so baffled:

Another piece on Dark's claim of having located Jesus' childhood home -- in Popular Mechanics of all places, which allows you to vote on it. Currently it is 51% for "Sure why not? He was a real guy, after all" and 49% "I doubt it."
                                why were you incapable of understanding what it was an update of?
                                Last edited by rogue06; 12-18-2020, 10:55 AM.

Comment