Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

7000 year old Israel village

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7000 year old Israel village

Source: http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Culture/Archaeologists-discover-7000-year-old-Jerusalem-settlement-from-Chalcolithic-period-445206

An unprecedented and well preserved 7,000-year old compound recently unearthed in northern Jerusalem from the Chalcolithic period, or Copper Age, proves there was “a thriving settlement in the Jerusalem area in ancient times,” the Antiquities Authority announced on Wednesday.

Archaeologists from the authority discovered the remains, dating back to the fifth millennium BCE, ahead of the laying of a road in the Shuafat neighborhood.

According to Dr. Omry Barzilai, head of the authority’s Prehistory Branch, the Chalcolithic period is known in the Negev, the Coastal Plain and the Galilee and on the Golan, but has been almost completely absent in the Judean Hills and Jerusalem.

“Although in recent years we have discovered a few traces of Chalcolithic settlements, such as those at Abu Ghosh, Motza junction and the Holyland Compound in Jerusalem, they have been extremely sparse,” he said. “Now, for the first time, we have discovered significant remains from 7,000 years ago.”

During the Chalcolithic period, man started using tools made of copper (chalcos in Greek) for the first time, while continuing to use tools made of stone (lithos), hence the name given to the period.

Barzilai said the excavation exposed two houses with intact remains, featuring floors containing various installations, as well as pottery vessels, flint tools and a basalt bowl, which were all typical of the time. The construction phases and signs of their maintenance show that the buildings were used for a considerable time, he said.

Ronit Lupo, director of excavations, said the findings prove there was “a thriving settlement in the Jerusalem area in ancient times.”

“Thousands of years later, the buildings uncovered are of a standard that would not fall short of Jerusalem’s architecture,” she said.

“This discovery represents a highly significant addition to our research of the city and the vicinity. Apart from the pottery, the fascinating flint finds attest to the livelihood of the local population in prehistoric times.”

Moreover, Lupo said that small sickle blades for harvesting cereal crops, chisels and polished axes for building, borers and awls – as well as a bead made of carnelian (a gemstone) – indicate that jewelry was either made or imported in the area.

The archaeologist added that grinding tools, mortars and pestles, including a basalt bowl, attest to technological skills, as well as to the kinds of crafts practiced in the local community.

“We also recovered a few bones of sheep/goat and possibly cattle,” she said. “These will be analyzed further in the IAA [Antiquities Authority] laboratories, permitting us to recreate the dietary habits of the people who lived here 7,000 years ago and enhancing our understanding of the settlements economy.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

neat.

Whenever they find things like this I wonder what happened there. I mean, people don't just leave houses and villages intact and go away, especially leaving their tools and things behind. Normally old structures are torn down and new things are built on the remains, and so on. So when they dig up a village, it makes me wonder if something happened there, like a disaster, or a war, or famine, that cause the buildings to be abandoned and tools and items left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      neat.

Whenever they find things like this I wonder what happened there. I mean, people don't just leave houses and villages intact and go away, especially leaving their tools and things behind. Normally old structures are torn down and new things are built on the remains, and so on. So when they dig up a village, it makes me wonder if something happened there, like a disaster, or a war, or famine, that cause the buildings to be abandoned and tools and items left behind.
      Most likely war or the threat of war. We tend to look at the last century with wars that cost millions of lives and tend to think it is the most violent period ever but the fact is that a person was considerably more likely to die a violent death in ancient times than today.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Most likely war or the threat of war. We tend to look at the last century with wars that cost millions of lives and tend to think it is the most violent period ever but the fact is that a person was considerably more likely to die a violent death in ancient times than today.
        Or extreme drought or some other massive crop failure....
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Or extreme drought or some other massive crop failure....
          That generally provides time to gather your things before leaving.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That generally provides time to gather your things before leaving.
            ....think Dust Bowl...?
            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Actually, this ancient village was under an existing developed area. Over time there was not any concern for older buildings, and they were simply abandoned or built over. This has happened many times over the millennia. Of course, wars and conflicts often destroy villages, towns and cities, and later settlements are built over old ones or moved. In the Middle East abandoned villages, settlements and cities are common. For many ancient settlements and cities, Climate change resulting in reduced rainfall and the increase in deserts and arid regions, and these were abandoned.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                ....think Dust Bowl...?
                The folks that experienced it generally still packed up their possessions before leaving

Comment

even if they left their stuff behind because of war or crop failure or whatever, it would have normally been looted in the near future of the event.

Comment

The folks that experienced it generally still packed up their possessions before leaving
                    Aliens.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Aliens.
                      egggzactly!

Comment

Aliens.
                        Ancient Aliens! Like the ones who built the pyramids

Comment

Ancient Aliens! Like the ones who built the pyramids
                          no. the pyramids were actually cubes till mossy got mad at the pharaoh and used the Pin.

Comment

no. the pyramids were actually cubes till mossy got mad at the pharaoh and used the Pin.
                            So she had much better control back then?

Comment

even if they left their stuff behind because of war or crop failure or whatever, it would have normally been looted in the near future of the event.
                              ...unless what they left just wasn't worth carrying away.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment