Announcement

Collapse

Anthropology 201 Guidelines

Anthropology is the study of groups of people, their beliefs, practices, values, ideas, technologies, languages, economies and more.

All are welcome to post in this section, even Geico Cavemen.

A couple of caveats-- (1) racism has no place in this forum, and (2) please show a little discretion. In other words, if an attachment violates policy on the rest of TWEB, it violates policy in this forum as well, even if it depicts a highly interesting and unique aspect of some obscure culture. Keep it reasonably clean, folks.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Human Beings

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Why are humans considered to be the most dangerous animal? Our brains? We can defeat anything with prep time(batman joke)?
    We are the most destructive to environment then any other species in the history of life. Human are one specie extinction event as destructive of a huge meteor impact.

    We are the first to over populate the earth. Actually our effect on the earth and the rest of the life is something like cancer.

    We are the only species to make war on ourselves on a massive scale. Possibly to the point of possibly driving us to extinction.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

    Comment


    • #17
      That's the species as a whole. How many individuals are dangerous? Depends?
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        We are the most destructive to environment then any other species in the history of life. Human are one specie extinction event as destructive of a huge meteor impact.

        We are the first to over populate the earth. Actually our effect on the earth and the rest of the life is something like cancer.

        We are the only species to make war on ourselves on a massive scale. Possibly to the point of possibly driving us to extinction.
        Well, they don't sound very kosher do they? How about this though, every other species on the plant has zero diplomatic relations. Families/clans attack one another on sight for no apparent reason. They could all just work together but instead they kill without prejudice. At least humans try, right? Or if they kill it's often driven by hate rather than directive. I couldn't imagine a much better scenario if lions were to suddenly acquire a human intellect. Goodness, they'd round up all living and eat them 53 days flat. End of story.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
          That's the species as a whole. How many individuals are dangerous? Depends?
          Yes, the whole species! There are no angels!
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

          go with the flow the river knows . . .

          Frank

          I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by nico View Post
            Well, they don't sound very kosher do they? How about this though, every other species on the plant has zero diplomatic relations. Families/clans attack one another on sight for no apparent reason. They could all just work together but instead they kill without prejudice. At least humans try, right? Or if they kill it's often driven by hate rather than directive. I couldn't imagine a much better scenario if lions were to suddenly acquire a human intellect. Goodness, they'd round up all living and eat them 53 days flat. End of story.
            You're kidding, right? Some species don't even have the ability to kill each other. Killing is seldom done through hate, if ever. Lions rarely kill wantonly like you suggest. Elephants have very real social hierarchies that include other families. You're waaay off the mark.
            Last edited by Carrikature; 02-13-2014, 09:14 PM.
            I'm not here anymore.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
              You're kidding, right? Some species don't even have the ability to kill each other. Killing is seldom done through hate, if ever. Lions rarely kill wantonly like you suggest. Elephants have very real social hierarchies that include other families. You're waaay off the mark.
              Oh boy...here we go. I said "directive" sir, read above, specifically not hate. Anyway, I haven't said enough on the subject for your opinion about my off the markness to mean much. Good day to you, and feel free to add to how cancerous humans are.

              Comment


              • #22
                Sound's like Ra's ah Gul... except without the reduce the population by 90%.
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by nico View Post
                  Anyway, I haven't said enough on the subject for your opinion about my off the markness to mean much.
                  You've said more than enough. Let's recap:


                  Originally posted by nico View Post
                  How about this though, every other species on the plant has zero diplomatic relations.
                  This is false. I've already mentioned elephants. Chimps, bonobos, dolphins, lions, and other species all have fission-fusion societies where members may split into smaller groups or leave to join another group only to return later.


                  Originally posted by nico View Post
                  Families/clans attack one another on sight for no apparent reason.
                  This too is false. No apparent reason? Even disputes over territory are a reason, and they're not that hard to see. It's not accurate that all families/clans attack one another on sight, either.


                  Originally posted by nico View Post
                  They could all just work together but instead they kill without prejudice.
                  Except that most cases where they do kill are either rivals or the offspring of rivals. That's not without prejudice. Further, examples of altruism in animals have been amply documented.


                  Originally posted by nico View Post
                  I couldn't imagine a much better scenario if lions were to suddenly acquire a human intellect. Goodness, they'd round up all living and eat them 53 days flat. End of story.
                  This is silly, too. Lions don't just eat everything in sight. There's no reason whatsoever to suggest that acquiring an intellect would cause them to suddenly gorge themselves. This mostly sounds like so much hyperbole.
                  Last edited by Carrikature; 02-14-2014, 12:14 AM.
                  I'm not here anymore.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by nico View Post
                    Oh boy...here we go. I said "directive" sir, read above, specifically not hate.
                    You're right, I misread it. My mistake.
                    I'm not here anymore.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                      You've said more than enough. Let's recap:




                      This is false. I've already mentioned elephants. Chimps, bonobos, dolphins, lions, and other species all have fission-fusion societies where members may split into smaller groups or leave to join another group only to return later.




                      This too is false. No apparent reason? Even disputes over territory are a reason, and they're not that hard to see. It's not accurate that all families/clans attack one another on sight, either.




                      Except that most cases where they do kill are either rivals or the offspring of rivals. That's not without prejudice. Further, examples of altruism in animals have been amply documented.




                      This is silly, too. Lions don't just eat everything in sight. There's no reason whatsoever to suggest that acquiring an intellect would cause them to suddenly gorge themselves. This mostly sounds like so much hyperbole.
                      Human beings make much ado about nothing.

                      Also, I stand by what I said. 53 days flat, if not before.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by nico View Post
                        Well, they don't sound very kosher do they? How about this though, every other species on the plant has zero diplomatic relations. Families/clans attack one another on sight for no apparent reason. They could all just work together but instead they kill without prejudice. At least humans try, right? Or if they kill it's often driven by hate rather than directive. I couldn't imagine a much better scenario if lions were to suddenly acquire a human intellect. Goodness, they'd round up all living and eat them 53 days flat. End of story.
                        This needs more explanation, and reasonable description of natural behavior of different species. Avoid hypothetical stuff, and offer more real references on animal behavior. The only animals other then humans that are known to attack in clans or families their own kind are our closest living relatives, chimpanzees. Some animals do selectively kill their own in individual combat like stallion horses. Some species have male infanticide of the competing offspring from other males.
                        Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-16-2014, 07:09 PM.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

                        go with the flow the river knows . . .

                        Frank

                        I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          This needs more explanation, and reasonable description of natural behavior of different species. Avoid hypothetical stuff, and offer more real references on animal behavior. The only animals other then humans that are known to attack in clans or families their own kind are our closest living relatives, chimpanzees. Some animals do selectively kill their own in individual combat like stallion horses. Some species have male infanticide of the competing offspring from other males.
                          It's a quasi-parody thread. I thought it was kind of obvious. It was never meant to make convincing arguments. You know...partially uniformed tidbits about life mixed in with exaggerated conclusions. I wasn't actually saying that families kill from within, grammar ambiguities I guess, but families kill other families, etc, etc, as opposed to, say, bringing them a leg, or a liver, to welcome them into the neighborhood instead. But, if you insist, feel free to argue the superior merits of virtue in the animal kingdom. Could be interesting?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Are we to pretend a alien/robot/animal view of humans???
                            polar/grizzly Bear: small crunchy creatures. slow and yummy. Can shoot back.
                            Great White Shark: tried them, too bony
                            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              What would be the attributes that would classify a primate as human? Homo Sapiens Sapiens are indeed human, recent discovery and research has broadened the definition. The following would be attributes of humans: (1) Bipedal locomotion. (2) Manual Dexterity. (3) A larger complex brain. (4) Tool making. Maybe add (5) Capable of speech?

                              If you consider these attributes, a number of our ancestors older then Homo Sapiens Sapiens could possibly be considered human such as: Homo sapiens neanderthalensis and possibly Homo (sapien?) antecessor.
                              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

                              go with the flow the river knows . . .

                              Frank

                              I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                What would be the attributes that would classify a primate as human? Homo Sapiens Sapiens are indeed human, recent discovery and research has broadened the definition. The following would be attributes of humans: (1) Bipedal locomotion. (2) Manual Dexterity. (3) A larger complex brain. (4) Tool making. Maybe add (5) Capable of speech?

                                If you consider these attributes, a number of our ancestors older then Homo Sapiens Sapiens could possibly be considered human such as: Homo sapiens neanderthalensis and possibly Homo (sapien?) antecessor.
                                You forgot sexual reproduction. How could you forget that? I'll let it slide...

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X