Announcement

Collapse

Anthropology 201 Guidelines

Anthropology is the study of groups of people, their beliefs, practices, values, ideas, technologies, languages, economies and more.

All are welcome to post in this section, even Geico Cavemen.

A couple of caveats-- (1) racism has no place in this forum, and (2) please show a little discretion. In other words, if an attachment violates policy on the rest of TWEB, it violates policy in this forum as well, even if it depicts a highly interesting and unique aspect of some obscure culture. Keep it reasonably clean, folks.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Genetics show the mark that the Viking Age made on Scandinavians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genetics show the mark that the Viking Age made on Scandinavians

DNA sequencing of Scandinavians from hundreds of years ago reveal that there was a good deal of movement in the region and much of it was into Scandinavia.

Source: Ancient DNA Paints a New Picture of the Viking Age

A study of nearly 300 ancient Scandinavian genomes reveals sources of Vikings’ genetic ancestry

Bones and teeth of ancient Scandinavians excavated from burials, a sunken warship and the sites of a violent massacre have helped an international group of scientists craft an unprecedented picture of the region’s storied Viking culture.

The researchers looked at ancient DNA spanning 2,000 years of Scandinavian history from such remains to piece together a comprehensive look at the movement of peoples into the region during the Viking AgeSource

© Copyright Original Source

The full paper, Population genomics of the Viking world is available to read by clicking the hyperlink although I've posted the abstract from it below

Abstract

The maritime expansion of Scandinavian populations during the Viking Age (about AD 750–1050) was a far-flung transformation in world history1,2LCT and alleles of ANKA that are associated with the immune response—in detail. We conclude that the Viking diaspora was characterized by substantial transregional engagement: distinct populations influenced the genomic makeup of different regions of Europe, and Scandinavia experienced increased contact with the rest of the continent.

Here's another story focusing on a different aspect of the study, ‘Viking' was a job description, not a matter of heredity, massive ancient DNA study shows: Study reveals family histories of black-haired Vikings who set forth—and died—far from home

My father was half Swedish and half Norwegian with coal black hair.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Interesting post!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X